Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Gotta give props to Cincy. Coach Lewis and his D coordinater had the Ravens sewn up all night. Even when McNair had time, he was looking for 3rd or 4th options and even they weren't open. Did Heap even catch 2 passes?

It took Baltimore's D two quarters to put a lid on Palmer & co, by then it was too late. I predicted the Cincy win, but what troubled me is McNairs arm looked dead all night, save for the TD at the end. Very bothersome.

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

The Bengals win moves the Chargers to #2 in the AFC playoff seed race. But its only a half-game lead.

Hopefully, Schotty can use this to motivate the Chargers as they travel to Buffalo, because this looks like a potential trap game.

Yes it is, but dude, you guys have a pretty rough schedule down the pike.. Denver at home(with there savior at QB), KC at home, and at Seattle. All potentially winable games, but very loseable too. *Yikes*

I guess coach-speak applies.. Just take one game at a time huh?!

Either way, by seasons end, I see the Ravens & Chargers both as 11-5 teams. Not bad for you guys, as a trip to Indy isn't as scary for the Chargers as it is for most teams. ;)

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Rex Grossman's fantasy points for the week: -0.6 (yes, thats a negative number). :eek:

Ask me if I am impressed with their record or if I think they will get past the first round of the playoffs.

That's uuuuugly. You really have to have a bad game to get negative numbers. I guess each league's scoring is different but that's till pretty hard to do in most leagues.

Tennessee over Indy, hmmm; Indy looking past them or Tennessee playing that good? Didn't see the game just the score.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Halftime of the Giants-Cowboys game and I am increasingly convinced that there is something systemically wrong--diseased even--with my New York Football Giants.

Kiwanuku's unforced fumble may decide this game.

Or Plaxico's ridiculous late hit.

Or consider this sequence: Third and ten at the Dallas 25 or so. False start Shockey. Two minute warning. Third and 15. False start David Diehl (this is in Giants' stadium, mind you.) Third and 20. Eli spins free of the rush and makes a nice play downfield to David Tyree, who catches the ball about half a yard short of the first down marker.

Yes, they went for it and, yes, Brandon Jacobs got cut down trying to bounce it outside (?!?), but that's not what is bothering me.

What is bothering me, and what none of the broadcasters commented on, was that on the the third and twenty, Tyree lay there on the field for at least a full second before hes was touched down. he could have rolled for a first down easily.

Nothing seems to register with this team. They never seem to fully inhabit their own heads and live in the proverbial moment.

And ultimately, that's got to be a refelection of their strident, disciplinarian coach, himself an incurable hot head who has been known to make some poor decisions while in the middle of a tantrum. You can do worse than Coughlin, of course, but...

Boy, I tell you. If Jeff Fisher were availble for next year, bye bye Tom. Enjoy your retirement, and don't be too hard on the grand kids.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

What's up with those red shirts on the Giants? They just don't look like the same formidable classic team with those jerseys.

I can't see Coughlin being there next year. NY just wont tolerate it. Now if only the Tampa press were more aggressive so we could get rid of Chuckie.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Rex Grossman's fantasy points for the week: -0.6 (yes, thats a negative number). :eek:

Ask me if I am impressed with their record or if I think they will get past the first round of the playoffs.

Look at it this way. He has 4 more weeks of practice before the playoffs. :D:wave:

GO BEARS

Originally posted by jackpine:

Look at it this way. He has 4 more weeks of practice before the playoffs. :D:wave:

GO BEARS

This team reminds me of the Bucs under Tony Dungy. Great defenses but struggling offenses. They always made the playoffs but could never win a chamionship.

I am a little sore because Rex is my fantasy QB. If he gives me just 10 points I win for the week. I can not recall a QB having a negative fantasy score for a week.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

I can not recall a QB having a negative fantasy score for a week. [/QB]

You haven't been playing FF very long, have you?

Drew Bledsoe turned in negative numbers regularly in Dallas. So did Culpepper last year in Minny.

It actually happens on a regular basis. If a QB throws for 250 yards, no touchdowns, and 3 INT's, that's -1. I've seen that statline (and much worse) quite often.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Tennessee over Indy, hmmm; Indy looking past them or Tennessee playing that good? Didn't see the game just the score.

Jeff Fisher finally prevails!!!

No seriously, these teams are in the same division, so they no each other very well. That plus coach Fisher has the Titans playing up the last month or more. The defense picks Manning a couple times, Vince Young rallies, Bironas kicks another miracle!

As a once & future Titans fan, let me just say that for the 1st time in a long time. Coach Fish outcoached Dungy yesterday!

The game winning situation was that teams were tied after the Vinatieri kick heading for overtime. Titans ball, 4th and 11 at the Indy 42, 12 seconds left, Fisher trots out the kicking team, then runs them off the field and sends in the punting unit. Dungy panics for some reason, and calls a timeout?? With the extra timeout Fisher decides to send in Bironas, who lines up, kicks a 60 yarder for the win.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

The Bengals win moves the Chargers to #2 in the AFC playoff seed race. But its only a half-game lead.

Hopefully, Schotty can use this to motivate the Chargers as they travel to Buffalo, because this looks like a potential trap game.

Yes it is, but dude, you guys have a pretty rough schedule down the pike.. Denver at home(with there savior at QB), KC at home, and at Seattle. All potentially winable games, but very loseable too. *Yikes*

I guess coach-speak applies.. Just take one game at a time huh?!

Very true, sir, hence my own "one game at a time" attitude, as reflected in earlier posts in which I basically refused to predict a playoff appearance outright, but nevertheless rooted against the Ravens "just in case". Denver has been hurting lately, but we can't take them lightly as our next opponent. I'll worry about KC, Seattle, etc. when we face them.

That said, this week's losses by Denver and Indy helped the Chargers. :D Indy still has the lead in the race for the #1 seed, by virtue of one AFC loss vs. SD's 2. But every SD win and Indy loss helps. They have just as many upcoming trap games as we do.

More random thoughts:

- I thought the Titans could pull off the upset, given their strong performance at Indy earlier this season. That 60-yarder was amazing!

- Automatica looked like his old self (when he was a very good kicker for the Bucs), kicking FGs for Dallas

- Eli gave me -2 points or something like that, the last week I had him on my fantasy team. INTs are guaranteed to get your QB negative points if the TD and yardage numbers are low enough. I traded Eli and Foster for Portis and D. Jackson, because Philip was outperforming Eli and I really needed help at WR and RB.

- Surprised to see the Seahawks pull a Martyball impression at Denver - its as if they didn't trust Hasselbeck. They did pull out the win, though. Not sure if Plummer would have done a better job than Cutler.

- I agree about the Giants' red jerseys. The blue unis are better. Some teams just can't leave a good look alone (eg. the Rams switching from yellow to gold - ugghhh)

Just as a point of reference - this year's negative-points performances by QB's: (standard 50 pass yds/pt, 20 rush yds/pt, +6TD, -2TO)

Week 1:

Jake Delhomme v Falcons - 186 pass, 1 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -0.28 total.

Chris Simms v Baltimore - 133 pass, 3 rush, 3 INT, -3.19 total

Trent Green v Cincinnati - 90 pass, 1 INT, -0.2 total

Brett Favre v Chicago - 170 pass, 2 INT, -0.6 total

Week 2:

Andrew Walter v Baltimore - 162 pass, 3 rush, 3 INT, -2.61 total

Kerry Collins v San Diego - 57 pass, 2 INT, -2.86 total

Ben Rothlisberger v Jacksonville - 141 pass, 2 INT, -1.18 total

Week 4:

Kurt Warner v Atlanta - 128 pass, 1 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -1.44 total

Alex Smith v Kansas City - 92 pass, 15 rush, 2 INT, -1.41 total

Brett Favre v Philly - 205 pass, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -1.9 total

Week 5:

Chad Pennington v Jacksonville - 71 pass, 17 rush, 3 INT, -3.73 total

Steve McNair v Denver - 165 pass, 15 rush, 3 INT, -1.95 total

David Carr v Dallas - 128 pass, 15 rush, 2 INT, -0.69 total

Week 7:

JP Losman v New England - 193 pass, 13 rush, 1 INT, 2 Fumbles lost, -1.49 total

Seneca Wallace v Minnesota - 134 pass, 1 rush, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -3.27 total

Week 8:

Brad Johnson v New England - 185 pass, 9 rush, 3 INT, -1.85 total

Week 9:

Brad Johnson v San Francisco - 136 pass, 5 rush, 1 INT, 2 Fumbles lost, -3.03 total

Week 10:

David Garrard v Houston - 204 pass, 44 rush, 4 INT, -1.67 total

Week 11:

Chad Pennington v Chicago - 162 pass, 2 INT, -0.76 total

Week 12:

Bruce Gradkowski v Dallas - 120 pass, 2 INT, -1.6 total

Charlie Frye v Cincinatti - 186 pass, 5 rush, 4 INT, -4.03 total

Ben Rothlisberger v Baltimore - 214 pass, -1 rush, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -1.77 total

Rex Grossman v New England - 176 pass, 1 rush, 3 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -4.43 total

This weekend:

Bruce Gradkowski v Pittsburgh - 175 pass, 26 rush, 3 INT, -1.2 total

Brad Johnson v Chicago - 73 pass, 3 rush, 4 INT, -6.39 total

and you of course already knew about Rex...

So, while it's not a common occurence to have a QB post negative numbers, it's certainly not a rarity...

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Just as a point of reference - this year's negative-points performances by QB's: (standard 50 pass yds/pt, 20 rush yds/pt, +6TD, -2TO)

Week 1:

Jake Delhomme v Falcons - 186 pass, 1 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -0.28 total.

Chris Simms v Baltimore - 133 pass, 3 rush, 3 INT, -3.19 total

Trent Green v Cincinnati - 90 pass, 1 INT, -0.2 total

Brett Favre v Chicago - 170 pass, 2 INT, -0.6 total

Week 2:

Andrew Walter v Baltimore - 162 pass, 3 rush, 3 INT, -2.61 total

Kerry Collins v San Diego - 57 pass, 2 INT, -2.86 total

Ben Rothlisberger v Jacksonville - 141 pass, 2 INT, -1.18 total

Week 4:

Kurt Warner v Atlanta - 128 pass, 1 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -1.44 total

Alex Smith v Kansas City - 92 pass, 15 rush, 2 INT, -1.41 total

Brett Favre v Philly - 205 pass, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -1.9 total

Week 5:

Chad Pennington v Jacksonville - 71 pass, 17 rush, 3 INT, -3.73 total

Steve McNair v Denver - 165 pass, 15 rush, 3 INT, -1.95 total

David Carr v Dallas - 128 pass, 15 rush, 2 INT, -0.69 total

Week 7:

JP Losman v New England - 193 pass, 13 rush, 1 INT, 2 Fumbles lost, -1.49 total

Seneca Wallace v Minnesota - 134 pass, 1 rush, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -3.27 total

Week 8:

Brad Johnson v New England - 185 pass, 9 rush, 3 INT, -1.85 total

Week 9:

Brad Johnson v San Francisco - 136 pass, 5 rush, 1 INT, 2 Fumbles lost, -3.03 total

Week 10:

David Garrard v Houston - 204 pass, 44 rush, 4 INT, -1.67 total

Week 11:

Chad Pennington v Chicago - 162 pass, 2 INT, -0.76 total

Week 12:

Bruce Gradkowski v Dallas - 120 pass, 2 INT, -1.6 total

Charlie Frye v Cincinatti - 186 pass, 5 rush, 4 INT, -4.03 total

Ben Rothlisberger v Baltimore - 214 pass, -1 rush, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -1.77 total

Rex Grossman v New England - 176 pass, 1 rush, 3 INT, 1 Fumble lost, -4.43 total

This weekend:

Bruce Gradkowski v Pittsburgh - 175 pass, 26 rush, 3 INT, -1.2 total

Brad Johnson v Chicago - 73 pass, 3 rush, 4 INT, -6.39 total

and you of course already knew about Rex...

So, while it's not a common occurence to have a QB post negative numbers, it's certainly not a rarity...

I see what you mean. My scoring, I assume like Midlife Crisis's league is 25 yards per point instead of 50. That makes a big difference in seeing negative numbers for our type of leagues.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Not surprising that both Bucs QBs are on the negative point list. We have no future. I can't believe they are offering Simms a 2 year extension.

What surprised on the list is how many time Brad Johnson is on there. While I don't follow the Vikings that closely, my perception was that he was doing a decent job for them.

Big Ben's performance dont shock me given the Steelers record this year. I am wondering on how much this bad year is going to effect him psychologically next year. Will he ever get his confidence back?

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Steve - Brad was, for the most part, doing a decent job of taking care of the ball - but if you look at his yards-per-completion this year, you can see why - their passing game is nothing but dink-and-dunk drop-off type crap. No wonder they can't score on O....

Big Ben's performance dont shock me given the Steelers record this year. I am wondering on how much this bad year is going to effect him psychologically next year. Will he ever get his confidence back?

Ben should be fine.. He's just had waaaaaay too much physical trauma this year. An offseason, a vacation, some great workouts... Back in the saddle. He's showing glimpses of his old self here and there(Falcons game).
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Magpel:

Halftime of the Giants-Cowboys game and I am increasingly convinced that there is something systemically wrong--diseased even--with my New York Football Giants.

Well aside from a few bonehead moves(mainly Bob Whitfield) They looked pretty decent today.

At least lil Manning played a good game...better than Romo even! He got the ball to Shockey pretty effectively, played with more emotion, and had a certain mental toughness in his effort. Good job.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, it's mostly fixable stuff with Eli & The Giants. I doubt they'll win the division, but I believe there the best of the wildcard contenders in the NFC. Get Strahan back soon and things will begin looking up.

TROLL . . . ish.

The Giants can help themselves if Coughlin would just get on Gilbride's case to simplify his offense.

As SD's coach, Gilbride's offense required 20 reads from the QBs, which is ridiculous when both QBs (Leaf, Whelihan) had less than 2 years of NFL experience combined. Now I hear he's doing the same thing up in NYC. No doubt he has the lead on Al Saunders in the My Playbook Is Bigger Than Your Playbook sweepstakes.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Well aside from a few bonehead moves(mainly Bob Whitfield) They looked pretty decent today.

At least lil Manning played a good game...better than Romo even! He got the ball to Shockey pretty effectively, played with more emotion, and had a certain mental toughness in his effort. Good job.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, it's mostly fixable stuff with Eli & The Giants. I doubt they'll win the division, but I believe there the best of the wildcard contenders in the NFC. Get Strahan back soon and things will begin looking up.

Jay, you gotta believe me this. The Giants have arguably (almost inarguably, actually) "outplayed" every team they've faced this year with the exception of Seattle in week 3 and Jacksonville two weeks ago.

If time of possession and yards from scrimmage determined outcomes, the NYG would be 10-2 right now. The team is really talented, and Coughlin is a very good offensive football coach, always has been. Remember hopw novel and effective the Jags were in their early years.

But in inexplicable, boneheaded mistakes, we are leading the league. And, since that Titans game, they've started to take a bizarre, tragi-comic turn. Retracted tackles. Unforced fumbles.

As I said above, the one that kills me was David Tyree failing to ROLL OVER and pick up the first down on that third and 20. Tyree has made more than his share of boneheaded mistakes for a minor role player over the years.

I dunno. YOu woudn't think it, but this loss hurt me far more than the historic collapse against the Titans last week.

And speaking of which, I know he won't get the award, but has anyone done a better coaching job than Jeff Fisher this year?

The Brady Quinn sweepstakes is getting down to Oakland and Detroit, altough maybe Gruden is starting to make his stretch run.

Originally posted by Magpel:

I dunno. YOu woudn't think it, but this loss hurt me far more than the historic collapse against the Titans last week.

I get it, big divisional rival and all. Plus the Titans caught you napping late in that game. Yesterday the troops were on full alert so to speak.

The killer for you was the Tyree play. For me it was keeping Romo humbled with the exception

of the one pass play at the end. The one Dallas needed most. :mad:

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived