Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

From the article: But Simon Clark, of pro-smoking group Forest, hit back: “This is pathetic. What next? We will have to remove pipes and cigars from pictures of Sherlock Holmes and Winston Churchill. These people should stop trying to re-write history. What more can I say?

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some folks with too much time on their hands. They'd spend it better if they were posting on the forum rather than airbrushing out McCartney's cigarette. Maybe they should replace the cigarette with a bottle of Crown Royal.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Holy Cow!! Now why on earth would anyone do that? Oh well, there goes the infamous pics of Slayer promoting the pot and its assorted devices... not that I smoke the stuff (or anything else for that matter). That's an interesting article, though. I mean I couldn't imagine taking out the cigar from Churchill's mouth in the pic there. It wouldn't look right. Don't the fVc|

It's shit like this that makes me want to [i]start[/i] smoking....
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

First off, I hate anything politically correct. This is just about stupid. What about the courage it takes to give them up? McCartney quit smoking tobacco years ago I believe. I doubt he'd ever give up the green stuff although he must have run out long enough to write that pathetic 'Freedom' song.

I quit smoking a while back but stuff like this (and those idiotic "TRUTH" commercials) makes me want to start again! :eek: Well, not really but it's really silly to me. Even my girlfriend, a vehement non-smoker and my biggest supporter in quitting, will see one of those commercials and quip something like "ok, let's go get a pack." Hopefully this sort of stuff works on somebody...
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by SteveRB: [b]George Harrison would probably still be alive today if he hadn't smoked. That's why I think the removal of the cig in the poster makes a great statement. I can speculate that George would approve or at least get a good chuckle out of it. The Fag Four :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]I agree with you, Steve, but from a purely artistic point of view, retouching a memorable pic like this is just absurd, even if only for the offending substance. I mean, what's that supposed to teach children? That everything will be sanitized for their protection? I think with a little guidance, most folks will figure out that what Paul did on the pic happened in a certain time of his life, and that it isn't representative of what he does today. Yeesh... :rolleyes: Whomever is doing this has no artistic sense, and probably is easily offended by well done black humor.

I dunno if those Truth commercials make me want to quit smoking, but they make me want to quit watching tv, at least those disgusting ones :freak: I'm sure airbrushing out the cigarette will prevent a lot of kids from lighting up. We know how much kids today love The Beatles (the who?)

Hi roto, I use to be in a band in high school, where everyone but myself smoked. It was a sort of black-thrash metal outfit, and not once did I ever light up, or bum a cigarette. Never had the urge then, and I sure don't have it now. And yes, I have parents that smoked in the mid to late 1970's. They quit before I saw them smoke (or I didn't notice anyhow). My dad, especially, quit when his doctor said that his chance of ulcer recurrence would be zero if the cigarettes were gone.

[quote]Originally posted by tazzola: [b]Hi roto, I used to be in a band in high school, where everyone but myself smoked. It was a sort of black-thrash metal outfit, and not once did I ever light up, or bum a cigarette. Never had the urge then, and I sure don't have it now. And yes, I have parents that smoked in the mid to late 1970's. They quit before I saw them smoke (or I didn't notice anyhow). My dad, especially, quit when his doctor said that his chance of ulcer recurrence would be zero if the cigarettes were gone.[/b][/quote]

Finally! After thirty-five years, the most offensive picture in the history of Western print media has been censored. I'll sleep so much better now. Do some people need a life, or what?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Frankly, this is no worse than when the anti-gun assholes wanted the picture of "Washington Crossing the Delaware" to be altered to remove all the guns in school's history books. They raised a huge stink, and professed that it WOULD be done, until someone casually pointed out that it was declared a "National Historic Treasure" and therefore could not be altered in any form. Glad to see there still SOME ways to keep the PC crowd at bay. ..Joe
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

We all know that it is dangerous to walk in the street barefoot. Heck, you could cut your foot on a piece of broken glass or something!!! I suggest that we Photoshop some shoes onto Paul's feet, otherwise he is a dangerous role model for our children. :rolleyes: BTW, do you see any of the Beatles LOOKING OUT FOR TRAFFIC in that picture? NO!!! They are each looking straight ahead while they cross the road. VERY DANGEROUS!!! Let's face it. The Beatles were a VERY negatively influencial band whose sole purpose was to corrupt the world's youth. That's the only reason they even bothered to write good music, to persuade children to harm themselves and others. And unless we airbrush out their cigarettes, they will continue their evil influence far into the future. :freak: :confused: :eek:

This is just an example of PC gone way too far. :rolleyes: That picture is HISTORY. It's like the LIFE mag cover photo of the sailor dipping / kissing the girl in Times Square on VE day at the end of WWII... it captures a particular moment, it's accurate (that's what actually happened - it wasn't "staged" or posed) and IMO should be left alone. Macca doesn't smoke anymore, and AFAIK doesn't drop acid anymore either - and I've heard him speak out on the negative aspects of both. That ought to be enough. IMO, free speech is being sacrificed on the altar of political correctness. Being reasonable, respectful and considerate with your speech is one thing (and I'm all in favor of that), but when things that don't fit into whatever the current definition of "what's acceptable" are forced out, revised or changed - even decades later, it makes me wonder how much jeopardy the First Amendment is in.

Fucking unreal! Maybe someone should go back and airbrush clothes on all of the naked pictures painted over the last 1000 years. I don't care if there was a crack pipe on the cover of Abbey Road, it shouldn't be censored. Oh wait I forget, freedom and other rights that we've cherished for so long are dwindling away as we speak. Look out for the though police next.

[quote]Originally posted by Rim: [b]If they're taking out the cigarette, then I want back the Beatles album cover with the raw meat and broken baby dolls! :D I'm going for a smoke...[/b][/quote]Yeah, the original "Yesterday and Today" 'Butcher' cover... I had one of those back in the late '70's, and sold it for $300. :mad:

Archived