Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2006 Thread

daBowsa

My picks to go tonight.

Kennik - she has nice tone but not quite there with talent or control.

Melissa - her tone bothers me, and the mix did not help. I think AI has pushed feedback control to the point that the singers sound muffled.

Kevin - worst singer in the competition. I'm not sure why they put him in.

Bucky - He has a writer's voice. If he can write hits, he can be a star. If not, he is a nobody.

The one that confuses me is Will. Good tone. Good control. Never messes up or goes out of tune. But when he sings his songs are void of passion or emotion. As much as they criticized him, I wish I had his voice. I think I could do something with it.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Kinnik and Melissa will likely be the 2 girls dismissed this week.

As for guys, I think it will be Kevin and Will that are shown the door.

I missed most of Taylor due to a phone call coming in (did not tape the show), but my kids said he was awesome. I am still liking Chris, Elliott, Taylor and Geddeon.

The one song I could not get into last night was Ace's falsetto song (a Michael Jackson tune). I think he did a good job on the falsetto, but I'm unfamiliar with the song and it seemed weird from a background music standpoint. Also, the Rhodes sound was going through a very dramatic pan FX and seemed to fade in and out in contention with the rhythm of the song. Anyone else notice this?

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

Yeah, I noticed that Rhodes weirdness too.

I'm also with you on the song. My wife asked me if I liked it while he was singing. My response: "No, I don't like it, but he's really great". :D Ace is a fabulous singer, but something about his style just doesn't really do it for me. However, if he takes home all the marbles, I won't be surprised at all.

But today is Thursday, not Wednesday. I CANNOT BELIEVE that people voted for that Charlie Brown/Chicken Little kid. WTF!?!?! I mean, his vocal just stunk up the joint. Just a pure mercy vote I guess? And then, Gideon is gone? Just wrong.

The other three seemed appropriate to me, in fact I correctly predicted the girls.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Rabid:

My picks to go tonight.

Kennik ...

Melissa ...

Kevin ...

Bucky ...

:rolleyes::mad::eek: 1 out of 4. I'm no judge of America's judge of talent.

I thought Gideon had one of the best performances. Maybe his little speech before getting into the top 24 did him in. Even the judges were taken back by his "over confidence".

I notice the twins were in the audience. When did they get out of jail?

Robert

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

I CANNOT BELIEVE that people voted for that Charlie Brown/Chicken Little kid. WTF!?!?! I mean, his vocal just stunk up the joint. Just a pure mercy vote I guess? And then, Gideon is gone? Just wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Chicken Little is a joke. You can almost see Randy and Paula snickering at him. It appears to be a joke. They praise him and see if the public is stupid enough to put him through. Obviously they are. Giddeon at least had soul and a decent voice.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Monday, March 13, 2006

American Idols William Hung Found Dead of Heroin Overdose

7/13/2004 - Robert Krupto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Las Vegas, NV - Kitschy American Idol Star William Hung, famous for his botching of Ricky Martins She Bangs, was found dead yesterday, apparently of an intentional heroin overdose. The announcement of his death sent shockwaves to the tens of people who still found him funny.

Ironically, Mr. Hung was found by a VH1 camera crew sent to begin filing William Hung: Behind the Music.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

I can't believe the little kid Kevin is still there either. Gedeon was a much better singer albiet a little big headed. Kevin reminds me of the kid who sings the national anthem before a basketball game at his high school and nothing more.

I got 3 out of 4 right last week on who was voted off, I only missed on Kevin. I thought that Melissa might go because she hasn't had the camera/face time that the Ayla basketball chick had, but to me she's a much better singer. I love her tone and she's pretty hot looking. I'm glad the basketball chick went- she's got her life already set up by daddy and her basketball full ride, so it's better that someone who really needs this chance be able to move on for another week.

My favorites- Taylor and Chris for the guys. Elliot is good but he needs to bring it this week. I think Ace will hang from the teen girl vote for a while. I don't think Bucky and Kevin will be around long. If Kevin stays another couple weeks there is really something wrong with the voters.

For the girls- Katherine, Mandisa, Melissa. Lisa is good but not as seasoned as Katherine or Mandisa. I liked Paris at 1st but she doesn't seem to be getting any better and she oversings everything to me. Kellie just isn't as talented as the rest but she's cute and that goes a long way in what is basically a popularity contest with millions of tone deaf people voting.

Someone commented on how much better Kerry Underwood sounded than this years girls- I agree, but remember that she's had a full year of coaching, management, producers, etc, to help hone her voice. She was right where the top contenders this year are this time last year. On the other hand, Bo Bice sounded real bad last week. I guess touring and illness have taken a toll on him.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Katharine, Taylor, Paris, and Chris are the top tier performers. They had control of their voices and the stage - no fear. Staring down the pressure and seizing the moment.

The next level is Mandissa (who I expect more of) and Lisa - everyone else was mediocre.

Most of the trouble seemed to be deer-in-the-headlight nerves, so maybe next week the big stage won't be so intimidating.

Bo just needs to loosen the "Idol" clutches, much like Kelly did.

daBowsa's pretty much right on, in my view. I loved, loved, loved Chris....although it was a RHCP rehash in some ways....but his showmanship shined (walking by the band) so he seems like he belongs there.

Loved Taylor and Katherine, too. I'd say Paris was good, but so was Lisa. Chris, Taylor and Katherine (in that order) take the cake for me, though.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Yep. Stevie seems cool, but is much harder to do with any origniality...just because he's so unique. I missed the first half of the show, but really enjoyed the last half (Lisa and those who followed).

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Mandisa- Give her the trophy now, give her 6 months off, and call in Carnie Wilson's surgeon and chef! Now your talkin!

Katherine- She's a star in my book. Win or no, she's gonna be around for a long time. Do I hear future Duet's with Elton- Indeed I do!

Paris- Paris burns up the stage period. Girls got more upside as a singer than anyone in the competition. Getting better at voice control while working the stage too. What a voice on this kidd!

Taylor- Taylor is the reason we are all musicians in the 1st place..The love of music! Kill 'em Taylor. Love this guy! Can't wait for the AI light to go away and we get to hear new Talylor CD's with a budget! I bet the mash-ups are gonna be incredible. Everyone guest starring from Joss Stone & Mary J, to Robert Cray & Clapton(I can dream can't I). Taylors getting better onstage too!

Chris- Coolest sideburns on the planet earth! Serpentine rules! Cool version of the Stevie song, but some has mentioned it being done before. No problem, it did fit Chris perfectly. Good performance!

Lisa- Sweet as she can be! Not the winner in my book, but again, great upside in this one. 16 frikken yrs old!! There are soooo many directions she could go in once the competition is over, while still maintaining her fanbase. Disney Movie soundtracks-check! Broadway sensation-check! Pop Grammy winner-check. Makeup/haircare/fashion endorsements-check, check, check!

Pickler- That was disgraceful! Kellie your lil intellect-shell game is so transparent it's become sicking now! Furthermore, you just don't enter a pop competition and say you never heard Stevie frikkin Wonder songs!!!! Then after watching your AI classmates being brought to tears by his mere presence, you go out and perform his song as if you could care less! Pickler, you are no Carrie Underwood, and you are NOT my American Idol!

Did anyone else sing? No, okay... ;):cool:

TROLL . . . ish.

Simon Cowell was just on the Stern show. His picks for the finals are Chris and Taylor. He also said Kellie will make top 3 because of the middle America vote. Very interesting interview.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Barry looked pretty ragged tonight. kind of acted like he didn't want to be there. He's a very talented composer.

Kevin and Paris stood out to me as the worst of the bunch. I just cant see chicken little in the same league as the rest of them. He is a zero no talent.

It's only been a 1/2 hour since the show so here is what stuck out for me.

Taylor - disappointed me for the first time

Ace - I really liked his rendition

Katherin - she is going to be a star

Chris - great rendition, the dude can rock, but I wonder about his appeal to a wide audience.

Everyone else seemed irrelevant IMHO.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

I thought Mandisa kicked Ass. Chris, I like the risks, and that was a cool version. Katherine, she needs to figure out just how sexy she is, to go along with that voice.

My pick for bottom 3, Bucky, Lisa, and Kevin.

My wife reacted like fingernails on a chalkboard every time Paris squeaked "Thank you"

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yeah, my wife can't stand hearing Paris talk either.

Highlights for me were: Mandissa, Katherine, Paris, and Kellie :eek: . I haven't even thought twice about Kellie until last night, so good for her.

I did not like Chris last night - sure he does his own thing and Simon says he doesn't compromise, but I think its because he can't; he's one dimensional.

You're right, Bucky and Kevin should be gone, but I'm afraid they've got some popularity going for them. Yes, Lisa didn't do the best job last night, but I think she's good and I like her - I hope she doesn't get fluke-off'd. I'm worried about her and Taylor!

I still am a huge Taylor fan, but that song choice was just 'aight for me. :cool:

I missed a few songs last night but overall it was a good show. Singing aside, Mandisa and Lisa are the only two females left that I can stand to listen to in an interview. Kelly makes blonds and hillbillies everywhere cringe. Katherine lets things pop out without thinking. But then, all the guys are forgettable when they talk.

From performances I saw, Paris sounded like she was singing off of queue cards. Chris acted like something was wrong. Kelly sang wall then ruined it with the interview afterward. Lisa was forgettable. When Kevin started I checked the scores in the NIT.

Robert

I think Taylor's mistake was picking a 3 note song for a singing competition. I said that to my wife when he finished and then Simon said about the same thing, lol. 1st time he's disappointed me.

Lisa has shown her age and lack of experience the last 2 weeks, and I think she'll be gone this week.

I don't get what they see in Kevin. He really is not that good. Even last night, he did better than usual, and he's far behind the rest of them. Unfortunately, someone like Elliot, who can really sing well, will go before Kevin.

How about that little girl in the audience who was talking to Ryan! She was a sweetie- she'd be great doing some kind of red carpet interviews.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Tuned in and out last night.

Mandisa was her normal good, but screachy self.

Chris was his normal good, but one dimentional self(I agree Dabowsa).

Pickler was better than normal, but folks don't listen to her anyway, they just vote cause she's a cute blonde, so she'll be around for a while.

Paris owned 'Fever', but seemed a bit subdued in her stage presence, cause normally she's bouncing all over the place. Maybe it's the family coaching her again, or maybe advice from Manilow.

Missed Kevin(thank gawd), missed Ace.

Taylor was kinda goofy-cool if there is such a thing. I guess that would mean his performance was really goofy, but the fact that he completely just let go and threw caution to the wind, made it so so cool for me.. We want more!

Katherine's bra-less rack was too distracting, but her sultry voice did sound good. Low on the "performance" meter though.

Lisa is going home.

Bucky is going home.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived