Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2006 Thread

daBowsa

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by meccajay:

Long live Taylor Hicks!!!

He just might be the first Idol contestant that I like enough to buy his CD when he next releases one. Even though I agree with Randy that Levon wasn't his best performance, I just really like his voice and style.

While he's not my favorite, I gotta think Ace is going to go a long way in this show. I also like the guy that sang Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive."

At least it seems like there are quite a few talented singers in this group, along with the usual mish-mash of bad or boring ones.

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

I have not watched the men yet. I watched the women last night from TIVO while recording the men. With the time I saved skipping the commercials I watched a lot of the Kentucky basketball game and some of the Olympics.

I'll give my early pick after I watch the men tonight.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This is the first year I've ever watched it, but it's pretty damn entertaining. I wish they would show more of the band, though. Also, in years past, have all the contestants been singers? Where are the keyboardists? I'm thinking that someone like Harry Connick, Elton John, Billy Joel etc. (not Keith Emerson - heh-heh) should deserve a shot.

Don't they allow someone to play an instrument?

Regards,

Joe

Originally posted by Joe P:

Don't they allow someone to play an instrument?

They have in some of the various offshoots and copies in the UK.

The X factor, for example, [which was Simon Cowell's attempt to get all the money, until he was sued and he settled out of court with Fuller] has had a few folks playing instruments, a solo or strumming along.

But the focus is still on one or more singers. Albeit they've split it into 3 groups - prepubescents, groups and grannies, rather than just solo singers.

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

I thought this was a topic about Allen Iverson.

And I thought it was about Artificial Intelligence. Seriously.

I've heard many Americans get interested/excited about American Idol, but I haven't the faintest idea of what it is. An amateur show? A showcase for 'unsigned' artists? A "Discover tomorrow's stars" type of thing? Is it a competition? Is it just for singers?

Could one of our American friends take pity of this poor Italian and explain how AI works? :D:D

Sure, Carlo.

Basically, they audition about 10,000 or so hopefuls (ages 16-28, I believe) who want to be the next Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, etc., etc., by going all over the country and holding try-outs. They invite about 175 of them back to Hollywood for more try-outs, and whittle them down to 12 girls and 12 boys. Each of them perform each week and the TV audience can vote (by calling special telephone numbers) for the ones they like. Each week, one or more of them with the lowest number of votes are eliminated, until there's only one left standing -- the American Idol (think Kelly Clarkson). The AI gets a recording contract out of the deal, along with a whole team of producers, publicists, etc., etc., and basically a shot at being a pop star. Even some of those that don't actually become the American Idol get a shot at pop stardom (e.g., Clay Aiken).

Part of the entertainment value of the show are the panel of three judges that crtique each performance: Randy Jackson (former bassist for Journey, Mariah Carey, and others), Paula Abdul (former choreographer and '80's pop star), and the one everybody loves to hate because he's so brutally honest, Simon Cowell (who runs A&R for a couple of labels, I believe).

Often cheesy and painful to listen to, the show usually finds a couple of kids that are interesting and good enough singers to make it entertaining.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Mark, thanks a lot for your detailed description!

There are a few similar shows in Europe, but I don't know of any that actually offers a record contract as the prize. Applicants must be many thousands every time!

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Red Winger:

Often cheesy and painful to listen to...

I don't know about this show, but I sure believe you about that. :D

To me, nothing will ever beat the guy mimicking a bacon slice in the frypan during the Gong Show. :)

That was true art. :cool:

http://www.filmthreat.com/UploadImages/GONGSHOWst.jpg

Originally posted by marino:

Mark, thanks a lot for your detailed description!

There are a few similar shows in Europe, but I don't know of any that actually offers a record contract as the prize. Applicants must be many thousands every time!

Thanks again!

It is a import of Pop Idol from England, which franchised the show across Europe and other areas of the world.

Robert

This is the strongest year for male talent, but after watching a tape of last night's show I have to wonder what gets into these people when they choose a song. You hear contestants say "I want to show that I can sing this style or can do this music instead ..." When are these kids going to learn, start out with what you do well? The kid that was decent doing Sinatra really screwed up last night while looking like a bad Elvis clone. This is where the contestants with cover band experience have an edge. They know what they can sing and what the audience responds to.

Early I was picking Ace, but after last night I think is voice irritates me. It is a bit nasal. I do like the guy that sang "Dead or Alive."

My first prediction. The final 6 will consist of 4 men and 2 women. Most likely; Chris (Dead or Alive), Ace (Father Figure), Taylor (blues), Elliott, Mandisa (Heart), and Paris.

Robert

This is the only TV show I actually watch. Otherwise, I don't really watch TV, aside from a little bit of HGTV, PBS or Food Network if it is on in the background.

I like Taylor Hicks. Can't remember all the chick names off the top of my head, but Paris stands out and the brunette that sang last on Tues night.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

I predict...

I will not watch any episodes.

:bor:

+1

dB

Off with you both. Go start another NFL thread so you can talk about the Lakers and what Keyboards Kobe Bryant uses to score all those touchdowns.

Albert

I like Taylor as well. There is just something about that dude. He could sing for my band anytime.

But they cut the really great looking Brunette today. :cry:

The two 16 year olds are certainly impressive for their age, but the more I hear of them the less impressed I am.

And what's up with that egg headed dude? Are they serious :confused:

+1 for the Gong Show. Chuck Barris and Gene Gene the Dancing Machine rawked :thu: The unknown comic was pretty cool tool.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/i/f/becky.jpg

Nice face. :thu:

Too bad she couldn't sing. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Too bad she couldn't sing.

That never seemed to hurt Brittany Spears :idea:

A little eye candy makes it much easier to tolerate some of the musical butchering that goes on.

I watched about 5 seconds of her consolation performance tonight - it was pretty rough. But DAMN she is easy on the eyes!!

I'll say Taylor Hicks is gonna take the whole thing. He has it all - a great voice, a unique personality and the Michael McDonald look.

I've never paid much attention to the band in the past but I have to say they've impressed me this season - I heard some really nice bass chops on Wednesday night...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/i/f/becky.jpg

Nice face. :thu:

Too bad she couldn't sing. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy just look at her while I listen to Bach, Bird, and the Beatles.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Another +1 for Taylor. I don't know if he'll win the whole potato, but that boy has a long musical career in his future.

I absolutely loved the bit with the harmonic in the "gallows walk" part of the show. :thu:

This is only my second season of watching this show, but I have to admit -- I'm totally addicted to it now. :rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived