Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tracking/mixing in an untuned room...

ELP71

Better off using quality headphones until the room is tuned? I'm thinking so as my mixes have turned awful. I'm doing pretty much sample-based recording (orchestral, etc).

Any thoughts?

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Originally posted by ELP71:

Better off using quality headphones until the room is tuned? I'm thinking so as my mixes have turned awful.

Ummm....sounds like you answered your own question.
Thanks.

Any other suggestions on quick-fix room tuning?

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Do yourself a favor and buy some sort of room treatment package. I know, it's really hard to spend money on something that doesn't make noise. In the house that I'm in now, I work out of a bedroom. It's 12x15. I bought RealTraps for it and I'm so happy with them. They were really easy to put up. Just like hanging a picture on the wall, but best of all..they work! Plus, I'm moving in May and I can take them down,undamaged, and put them in my new room. Very cool.

Spend some time at Ethan Winer's forum.

You may find your room is treatable with a minimum of cash outlay. I built some nice bass traps to his specs for about $60/ea and they really suck the boominess out of my room.

Check out Markertek.com's cheap 'house' foam as well. Their blade tiles are a pretty good deal.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Short term, you can always get some cardboard boxes, stuff them with paper and put them in the corners. Otherwise, get the room treated, get your monitors further away from the wall, and if you have a desk between you and your monitors, get a piece of foam or something like that to cover the desk/console to minimize comb filtering.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived