Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What crazy things have you done for gear acquisition??

Spaceboy92

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it moved to the top because of my comment. I want everyone to know that that was a partial truth. She left because she was depressed and her mom was dying. After 5 months being away with my daughter I drove the 700 miles to see her to try to get her to come home, only to find that her dad had made the trip to my house and was filling 2 moving vans with all the furniture (except for my grand piano). During the next 7 years I only saw my daughter a total of 2 weeks. No...I am not the heel here. Just wanted to clear that up.

Ok...back to the entertaining thread....have fun. :)

Originally posted by Clavinovaguyusa:

I drove the 700 miles to see her to try to get her to come home, only to find that her dad had made the trip to my house and was filling 2 moving vans with all the furniture (except for my grand piano).

Ouch. :eek::cry::(
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

See, womens is a problem. Don't kill yer music fer women folk.

Question though, how did this get bumped above the forum rules which have been stickied to the top since I got here? Impressive!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Dick Ward...

You are stranded on a desert island with your choice of:

1. Your favorite keyboard (and electricity to run it, if needed).

2. Your favorite woman (and electricity to run her, if needed). ;)

Which one would you choose? :freak:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Dick Ward:

Keyboard. The woman would grow old, the keyboard would grow Vintage and be in high demand by the music player keyboard forum:p

Good call Dick Ward. :freak:

Around 1982 I quit my job where I had been making very good money at a coal company and took out my retirement funds. I was 22 and already had $10,000 in retirement. But, I was still a kid and music was more important. Using that money I bought a MemoryMoog, Crown Amp, Ashley mixer, EV 18" 3-way cabnet, and a few other accessories to fill out my rig which already contained a Rhodes Chroma and MiniMoog.

Sometimes I think I must have been crazy to cash in my retirement and take a penalty, but in truth it was worth it. I cannot put a value on those days of being a full time musician in a mid-size city. My retirement funds gave me a nice rig and a solid start in a new city.

It was also a good time to be a keyboardist. A good keyboardist start looking for work in the morning and be hired by a good working band before the music stores close. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Lol, Gas Gas Gas,

I really hate smileys, and yes, I know using the " :P " triggers a smiley, but it's a hard habit to break. Killer analogy with the pixel though!

http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/headbang.gif

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Dick Ward:

Lol, Gas Gas Gas,

I really hate smileys, and yes, I know using the " :P " triggers a smiley, but it's a hard habit to break. Killer analogy with the pixel though!

http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/headbang.gif

I understand.

I do.

I know where you're coming from Dick Ward.

I was a bit of a hell raiser in my youth - growing my hair long, playing in bands. My dad had been a Major in the USMC.

Summer of 1969 he sent me off to military academy to teach me discipline.

I haven't been the same since. :freak:

Keep doing what you do, Dick Ward. I admire your independence and honesty.

Remember this:

"We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! I think I'd have to choose #1 over a man folk too!! A man will bug you to sweep the floors, do the dishes and oh yeah, make me lunch too! The instrument will wait patiently until you've got a moment, and then make you see the best in everyone! ha ha.

Originally posted by Jessica Tomlinson:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! I think I'd have to choose #1 over a man folk too!! A man will bug you to sweep the floors, do the dishes and oh yeah, make me lunch too! The instrument will wait patiently until you've got a moment, and then make you see the best in everyone! ha ha.
Hey, shouldn't you be makin me a sammich woman?

Dick Ward - My Me

Besides working odd student jobs (baking bread in a factory, that type of stuff...), I rode to high school on my trusty old bicycle for about 6 months (9 miles one way, rain or shine) to save the bus money for my first board, a Kawai K1 (filters? who needs filters...).

Good times...

M.

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Originally posted by Jessica Tomlinson:

Hey, shouldn't you be makin me a sammich woman?

Ha ha ha ha!
Don't pay any attention to Dick Ward, Jessica. He's the kind that doesn't put spaces between his words and his graemlins just to make you (me) mad.

By the way (BTW), what kind of equipment (keyboard, recording, etc.) are you using now? Also, how's the job search going?

Best of luck to you, Jessica Tomlinson. :thu:

Tom

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

2. Your favorite woman (and electricity to run her, if needed). ;)

Which one would you choose? :freak:

I'd have to go with the woman. Cuz I'm all man, man.

Back in the 80's, my wonderful old buick was stolen from me. I took the insurance money(all of it) and bought a roland sampler, a roland D-10 keyboard, an alesis HR-16, and an 8 track fostex cassette recorder. Took me 3 years to get another car...

but I was in business!!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Rabid:

Around 1982 I quit my job where I had been making very good money at a coal company and took out my retirement funds. I was 22 and already had $10,000 in retirement. But, I was still a kid and music was more important. Using that money I bought a MemoryMoog, Crown Amp, Ashley mixer, EV 18" 3-way cabnet, and a few other accessories to fill out my rig which already contained a Rhodes Chroma and MiniMoog.

Sometimes I think I must have been crazy to cash in my retirement and take a penalty, but in truth it was worth it. I cannot put a value on those days of being a full time musician in a mid-size city. My retirement funds gave me a nice rig and a solid start in a new city.

It was also a good time to be a keyboardist. A good keyboardist start looking for work in the morning and be hired by a good working band before the music stores close. :)

Robert

Ooh... I did a quick bit of research. As best I can tell, that $10000 would have been worth around $188000 at the end of 2005 (S&P 500 returns with reinvestment of all capital gains and dividends). Of course, you got the gear you wanted, but think of the stuff you could afford to get now.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I sold about ten bottles of collectible California cabernet and Bordeaux wines (for around $3500) to come up with some money to buy gear about five years ago.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

When I was a kid, I worked at an amusement park pony ride for a whole summer to make enough money to buy my first keyboard (a very tired B3 and 122)

For 12 hours a day, I would lift up little fat kids, put them on a pony, let them ride around in circles for 5 minutes and then lift them off.

I would have done just about anything to get that keyboard.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Archived