Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Detailed Info on Nord Stage Piano Samples.

Urbanaut

I have another question to pose to the forum members.

Does anybody know some specifics on the piano samples in the new Nord Stage? I demo'd one the other day at a local retailer and found them to be very dissapointing. This could be the result of many factors, like the crappy monitors they had set up, but I'd like to know more about the samples, and if Clavia are planning to add new and different samples in the future. For example, are the samples stretched, or are all 88 notes sampled individually? I'm interested in specifics like this, but I realize that those answers may only come from some time spent at the Clavia booth at Winter NAMM.

Anyway, those who are in the know please tell me so. I'm again very interested in the board, but many different thoughts are running through my head. Software vs. Hardware, price, portability, etc...

Sincerely,

Urbanaut

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'sup Kanker... Kanker right, from the Osx Audio forum? Correct me if I'm wrong sir.

A tri-tone?? What gives? Can't they hear it? When I played this thing it hit me like a stab in the abdomen with a butter knife... or something like that. I'm hoping they make one piano sample set with every single note sampled...

That's it, I'm going to Ivory!!

Originally posted by Urbanaut:

'sup Kanker... Kanker right, from the Osx Audio forum? Correct me if I'm wrong sir.

You are right indeed!

Yeah, a tritone. What makes it extremely noticeable is that the timbres aren't consistent from one sample grouping to the next at the same velocity. This was one of the reasons I sent mine back - it's entirely too noticeable even when you're not looking for it i.e. while soloing the color/timbre of the sound changes drastically from one tritone range to another.

Each piano is only around 32-34 MB in size. Very disappointing, especially when my Electro's have 1/3 the sample data (1/2 really for the mono - 8MB) and sound pretty equivalent to the Stage in terms of quality and playability, and the Stage is supposed to be a high quality piano type instrument - RAM, even flash, is too damn cheap to skimp on it anymore, and the Stage is woefully under-RAMed IMHO.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Dude, totally!! That's exactly what I was thinking when I was playing the thing! Why couldn't they double, triple, or quadruple the size of the flash memory and spend some time making a piano sample worthy of the price tag! I mean, WTF were they thinking! I mean, really!!! All these soft synths with rediculous sample sets, and even expansion cards for the all the Japanese Boardroom Axes. It just doesn't make sense! And Clavia are sooo close to the ultimate, kickass keyboard players board!

Just venting, sorry.

Urbanaut

agreed, agreed, AGREED!!!!

I am ready to grab my laptop loaded with Ivory (or Bardstown's Bosendorfer) and hook it up to the External section of the NS88 (and stop using the NS piano altogether)..... This should cure the awful nausea I get every time I play the NS piano....

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

PS--in an old thread, I suggested months ago that Clavia should LICENSE Ivory, and load it in a compressed form in its ROM. Guess it fell on deaf ears in Sweden

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Originally posted by wdl:

PS--in an old thread, I suggested months ago that Clavia should LICENSE Ivory, and load it in a compressed form in its ROM. Guess it fell on deaf ears in Sweden

Now THAT would've been something... If it's been a while since you tried the Stage, the new os is a great improvement. I first tried the Stage when it was released and was pretty underwhelmed. With the new OS I really like it. Still, with a Steinway B at home, you have a pretty good perspective on how it's supposed to sound! :D

Archived