Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC2X or PC1X

part1sts

A few people on the board had given me advice on these two boards. I finall tried them out and liked them both. The pc2x had the advantage with the kb3 mode which sounded pretty good. Now if I have a chance to get the pc2x for only a few hundred dollars more, is there any reason why I shouldn't? Does the pc1x have any advantages at all that I didn't notice? Any knowledge will be appreciated because I am in the process of purchasing one of these boards.
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, congrats on your desicion to go with Kurzweil. I have never regretted the purchase of my PC2X.

In the end, it's your tastes, how you are going to use it, finances, etc. that will determine which one you purchase. If you haven't already, download both manuals from Kurzweil. This will give you a lot more insite into both boards.

I was planning on purchasing the PC1X when it first came out but ending up getting a new PC2X for the same price. I did like the slightly lighter action on the PC1X but that's just me. I added the Classic Keys expansion ROM and the clear acrylic music stand (don't think the stand is availible for the PC1X). Regardles of which one you end up with, get the Classic Keys expansion ROM! The XL versions of both boards have this already installed.

Good luck with your purchase! :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by part1sts:

thank you. How did you find a new pc2x for the same price as a pc1x?

I went to a music store that I have dealt with for years. They were having a blow out sale with live radio stuff, food, etc. I walked in about 30 min before it was over. I was just in to look around but noticed they had a new PC2X out on the floor with the price tag showing an all day markdown (started at $2195-was now $1500). I talked to the salesman (who I knew) and ended up walking out with a new PC2X for $1300. I really wanted the PC2 (76 note non-weighted version) but I could not pass up on that deal. :)

Part1sts : I'd say, if you're satisfied with most factory preset sounds and not really into programming (besides maybe effects adjusts and so on), then go for the PC1X, you'll be able to deal it more easily.

If you liked to program a lot of parameters in every patch of your previous synths, then the PC2X is the one you need.

There is one authorized Kurz dealer who sells on eBay (Night Sky Productions):

PC1-X

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7370436387

PC2-X

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7369106692

One PC2-X option that has not been mentioned is the PCX-1 Polyphony Expansion board, which doubles the polyphony to 128 voices

I think the PC-1 can only take one Voice expansion card? It has to be the Orcherstral or the Classic Keys?

The PC-2 may also be shipped with all expansion cards installed. Just check this where ever you buy it.

The PC-2 does have 2 CC and 3 footswitch pedal capability. I think the PC-1 has just one each.

The PC2X has a digital output. That's very nice to have for recording straight into the PC without conversion artifacts.

Plus, the B3 mode is excellent. Many paramaters can be adjusted. The Leslie emulation is very good too.

I use the piano voices primarily. However, I have no qualms about using the B3 mode on the PC2X. It's not a Hammond XK-3, nor is it an Electro. But it's good. :thu:

CLONK FOR STEPHEN FORTNER\'S REVIEW OF THE PC1X

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by StillFightingIt:

Gas, that link is for the PC1X Review, is that what you intended the link to be?

Yup. Someone decided that the review for the PC2X should be removed from Keyboard's archives. :rolleyes:

It was a good review. I remember the summary reading something like "The Kurzweil PC2X is much, much better than anything else on the market and will be for some time... yada yada. With famous endorsers such as Is There Gas In The Car, daviel, Prague, Cydonia, keyoctave, RonL, Winston Churchill, Bach, and many, many more, why consider anything else?" ;)

Truer words were never spoken. :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

It was a good review. I remember the summary reading something like "The Kurzweil PC2X is much, much better than anything else on the market and will be for some time... yada yada. With famous endorsers such as Is There Gas In The Car, daviel, Prague, Cydonia, keyoctave, RonL, Winston Churchill, Bach, and many, many more, why consider anything else?" ;)

Hey, if my nickname was quoted in that Keyboard article, I want a free copy of it. :P

US$1,800? That's a great price for a new PC2X with both expansion cards. B-stock maybe? I think I paid Sweetwater $1,800 for a new PC2X years ago when they first came out and neither expansion card was yet available.

With the money you're saving pick up at least one CC pedal (I don't think the PC2X comes with one standard), but better yet get two. The classic keys ROM puts some great wah effects on the second pedal and you'll be able to keep the first CC pedal routed to volume/expression. Pick up another switch pedal too, if for no other reason than having Leslie control on the floor.

The PC2X is a great choice. You'll love it.

Larry.

Originally posted by iLaw:

With the money you're saving pick up at least one CC pedal (I don't think the PC2X comes with one standard), but better yet get two. The classic keys ROM puts some great wah effects on the second pedal and you'll be able to keep the first CC pedal routed to volume/expression. Pick up another switch pedal too, if for no other reason than having Leslie control on the floor.

The PC2X is a great choice. You'll love it.

Larry.

Exactly. :thu:

The wah-wah pedal is a nice addition.

The 2nd switch pedal is really nice for the Leslie control.

It was a stretch to buy the PC2X, but mine has all the ROMs as well as polyphony expansion AND (ta daaaaaa) the ACRYLIC MUSIC RACK. This is not an option for the PC1X, I believe.

So there ya go. Buy the PC2X and don't look back. :)

I have consider getting a pc1x or pc2 at several times, but have always been reminded about the difficulty to get spare parts like keys if they broke......

They say that it taking looong time to get replacement parts......

What is kurzweil´s conditon nowadays as company??

I live in sweden.

When I was thinking of getting a pc88 I went to the biggest musicstore i stockholm and asked the guy who do all the repair´s o f keyboards....

I asked him about replacementparts and some other stuff...

He said: kurzweil is great as long as they work and all keys are funcionel....If something breaks.....hell waits.

I feel really sorry about this because they seems like great keyboards..

What are your thougts about this.

It´s better to play fast then not...

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

the ACRYLIC MUSIC RACK. This is not an option for the PC1X, I believe.

That is just what I used to think.

For the heck of it, I downloaded the PC1X manual from the Kurz site. Just a few pages into it, it shows how to attach the Acrylic music rack. Exactly the same as the pc2. It does not fit on the new PC161 which is a 61 note version of the PC1X.

Another thing I learned is that the orchestra rom sounds are included into the sound memory. There is only one expansion slot which is for the classic keys card. :)

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Pianoman:

What are your thougts about this.

I dunno. But I monitor this forum (Sonikmatter) for Kurzweil news and updates.

CLONK HERE, MR. PIANOMAN

Tom

nice forum you monitor....

ok so I think you know.

maybe this is how it´s in sweden... we dont even have any distrubiution here....so this may be why it´s hard getting parts...

I´ve heard people waiting up to 6 month for parts...

How is the service in US??

It´s better to play fast then not...

Archived