Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best portable Rhodes sound

darediablo

I'm leaving in a month for a three-week European tour, and I need to find a rack module with great Rhodes sounds.

I learned from our last time there that I should bring as much of my own equipment as possible, but I can't lug over my Roland VR-760 just for its sweet Rhodes.

My goal is to find a module under $1000 (preferably far under $1000) with some electric piano sounds that are adjustable, i.e., that I can tune from sweet to growling without much hassle. I'm thinking the Nord Electro rack, minus all of its other features -- and the cost of including those features.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! If I solve this problem I'm going to be a happy guy.

darediablo.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some nice (but very few) Rhodes pianos in Roland XV 2020 module - plus all the other sounds of the module. The cost is around 750 euros. Plus there's the possibility to adjust all the sounds (splits, layers etc) through your computer via the XV editor that goes with.

(In your shoes i'd buy the Electro rack, even if you don't need all the other sounds and even of the price difference - you never know what happens in the future and, believe me, the Nord is awsome :) )

Regards

BTW, which band you're playing with, and where in Europe? Ar you coming to Greece?

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Well, the Nord Electro Rack have some nice Rhodes sounds, but as you say, you pay quite a lot for things you maybe won't use too.. But if you sometime could have use for a tonewheel organ as well as the electrical pianos, I think I'd choose that.

The Electro Rack is a good choice, but its kind of bulky. Almost seems worth bringing an Electro 61 instead!

A MotifES rack will give you some excellent Rhodes patches with great effects in a addition to tons of other killer sounds, including a fantastic piano.

Thanks for the help so far. Believe me, if the price weren't an issue, I'd buy an Electro Rack in a heartbeat! But price is an issue. Also, I'm bringing my own Hammond XB-2 with me, so I've got organ sounds covered.

I'm sure I'll get an Electro with keyboard in the near future. This shopping issue is purely for the current situation!

Our schedule is here:

http://darediablo.com/gigs

Thanks again,

Matt

darediablo.com

Motif Rack (used on ebay for around $700-800 or Motif ES Rack used at around $900). The Electro would also work very nicely for some killer Rhodes... If reverb or mutlitimbrality is an issue, don't get the Electro, it doesn't have either.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Roland MKS-20?

Not dead-on authentic because it generates it's sounds from Structured Adaptive Synthesis, but incredibly smooth and playable because there's no sample switching. Electric piano 1 is still my all-time favorite Rhodes simulation. It barks like the real deal...not the typical FM Rhodes sound from the era.

There's one on E-Bay with a Buy Now price of $349...no it's not mine...

darediablo, has the issue of the difference in the AC voltage been taken care of?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Music*aL:

Motif Rack (used on ebay for around $700-800 or Motif ES Rack used at around $900). The Electro would also work very nicely for some killer Rhodes... If reverb or mutlitimbrality is an issue, don't get the Electro, it doesn't have either.

aL

BINGO. The Motif Rhodes "Vintage 74" is fat and has a good velocity response.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by daviel:

Kurz ME-1 ?

The EPs on the ME-1 are decent; I'm using them often live, but I try to layer them with something else, in order to give them a bit more body.

For pro applications, I often use the "Real Rhodes" sample CD-Rom from Pyramid Sounds, which has an huge choice of Rhodes models from various years, plus Wurlitzers and Clavinets. I think it only exists in Kurzweil format - but since you're looking for an hardware module anyway, consider that an used K2000R can be had for peanuts these days. You *don't* need the sampling option to load the samples, just a CD-Rom drive.

Originally posted by Music*aL:

aL

I'd second that. The Motif Rhodeses are indeed gorgeous, and the most convenient - dial 'em up and play. No editing required.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

for rhodes, i'd go for a motif es any second!!!

i play a suitcase rhodes at all of my live shows, and i'm a diehard "rhodes believer"! the motis is the only emulation i've tried that responds to velocity in a propper manner!!! it's fx is FAR better than the nords and it sounds fatter to me!!! -if it's too expensive, then buy it for the tour and sell it again whenthe tour is done... i've done that when i've travelled. bought something i needed at the place and sold it again later! even if you loose a bit of money, it's WAY cheaper than renting!

D

Originally posted by marino:

For pro applications, I often use the "Real Rhodes" sample CD-Rom from Pyramid Sounds, which has an huge choice of Rhodes models from various years, plus Wurlitzers and Clavinets.

Hehe, I like those too! :D:D:D

I think it only exists in Kurzweil format

It's also available for Akai S1000, S2000, and S5000/6000. ;)

I agree, a used K2 rack is without a doubt one of the better deals on the market.

Marino, contact me so I can send you the new KDFX programs for Real Rhodes. peter.@. pyramid-sound.com

~Peter Schouten

Pyramid Sound Productions

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

darediablo, has the issue of the difference in the AC voltage been taken care of?

Yes it has. I took care of all my power issues on the last tour, and I'm bringing all the gear back on this tour.

But a good point!

Matt

darediablo.com

Archived