Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 year old Jeffrey Ly

lrossmusic

Today our local CBS news affiliate ran a short piece on yet another child prodigy. Jeffrey Ly and his sister, 8 year old Olivia, played a classical piano duet on one piano that was nothing less than astounding. (Hopefully your computer can play the video / click the link below the picture)

For those interested and whose ego's can stand another jolt :) keep an ear out for these kids.

excerpt from short article-

Their mother and father were both Vietnam refugees. They fled their war torn country in '79 and '80 on small fishing boats. But for the keen eye and kindness of a Norwegian captain, one dark night in the Pacific Ocean, this story might not have been told.

http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=39813

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thnx Irossmusic

This story was so moving! Exept the talent of those two kids, it seems that there is a clear bottom line - and has to do with givin shelter to people from arounfd the glebe, givin' new oportunities and not been xenophobic. I'm European, but i think America is always a step forward to this issue. Those two yougster could easily be an answer to any kind of "ethnical purity discussion" bull***t we europeans are dealing with...

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by Krakit:

I stand by everything I said in This Thread

Every couple of years or so, I see a "human interest" story about another "child prodigy" that will be the next, Mozart or Charlie Parker or Beethoven or something.

To date, I've not seen or heard from any of them after their puff peice aired. I'm not saying they don't deserve a career or acclaim or something, just stating a factoid.

Carl

Oh yeah Jay Greenberg blew me away as well. Plus Eldar Djangirov, the 18 year old jazz piano prodigy who just released an album on Sony, is another. Not too long ago I even saw a clip of a little 4 or 5 year old kid who could shoot a basketball with incredible accuracy.

I am sure people are born everyday with these remarkable gifts and you are right in that most of them don't necessarily go on to fame and fortune. Isn't it also true though that a few of the great past composers were dead and gone long before their work received any significant acclaim? Besides wasn't it Franz Liszt who used to tell his students "art was not invented as a means to riches".

Personally after I get past the initial intimidation phase :) , I guess you'd call it, I'm still very facinated by these little geniuses and as EscapeRocks put it more power to them.

Archived