Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Elton John the other night . . .

shniggens

. . . here in Denver.

Now, I know alot of you don't care for him, especially you jazz noodlers. But I gotta say, he can still rock for an older guy!!! :D

He started off his show with selections from his new album. Nothing really exciting . . . and they pulled it off EXACTLY like the recording. No extended jams or anything. But it sounded fresh because it was his NEW stuff.

After that he went into his "jukebox" mode of playing his greatest hits. That kind of dissappointed me. There are other tracks I would rather hear. Y'know some deeper album cuts . . . maybe Indian Sunset, Amoreena, Better Off Dead (or and CFATBDC tracks) . . .

I mean, Bennie And The Jets was OK the first 9,000,000 times I heard it. But everyone still gets all excited when they hear that first chord.

He really tore it up on his 15 minute extended version of Rocket Man. Almost to the point where I was ready to give it all up and sell all of my gear. It was more than inspiring, it was a big fat SLAP in my face.

I was most impressed, however, with his keyboard player. He was playing 4 boards. I wish I knew what they were, but I was so high up in the nosebleed section, that I couldn't even tell with BINOCULARS. :D Whatever he was playing had awesome brass, string, and synth sounds. The brass swells and dynamics were so real, we were looking for the brass section!

All in all, a damn fine show.

The crowd however . . . getting a little to old to rock. ;)

Amateur Hack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's still Guy Babylon playing keys for him he's probably using some sort of Kurzweil or other. The brass and string sounds are very good on whatever he uses - although the last time I saw him the brass cut so much you couldn't hear the real sax player!

I would kill to hear some Tumbleweed or Captain Fantastic stuff live. I haven't heard Peachtree Road yet but everything after Blue Moves (except Made In England) has been disappointing, to me.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Peachtree Road is good. I like it more than Songs From The West Coast (or whatever it was called), and that one was good too!

You should definately check those two out. He seems to have rediscovered good music along with his sobriety. :)

Amateur Hack

I wouldn't say he can't sing, but his voice has definitely seen it's better years. I heard him on the radio the other day, and I found his voice boring to listen to.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

He landed up here and played Solo piano for about 2 hours. The promoters/ event managers had said "Elton John live in Bangalore, india"...they didn't mention anything bout a band...

Most folks looked quite disappointed.....

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Originally posted by Quarryking:

He landed up here and played Solo piano for about 2 hours. The promoters/ event managers had said "Elton John live in Bangalore, india"...they didn't mention anything bout a band...

Most folks looked quite disappointed.....

That's funny.

I did see him once semi-solo . . . he had Ray Cooper on percussion, so it was still somewhat entertaining.

But I think if I went to an Elton John show, and he was without his band, I would be somewhat dissappointed. Unless, of course, he was playing in my living room.

Amateur Hack

Funny I just bought the 4 DVD pack called "Dream Ticket". One of the DVDs is Elton playing solo in Ephesus, Turkey. It's by far my favorite of the bunch. Except for a rather anemic version of "Crocodile Rock" he nails every song. I don't detect any weakness in his voice at all. It's lower than it was back in the early seventies, but, you know, we all get older. He still one of the top rock piano players in the world.

Yeah, I find the way he´s returning to shape really inspiring. I´ve seen him live three times, and he´s been rocking hard every show. My only complaint would be that he doesn´t do all that much older unknown stuff, (I´dm love to hear tunes like Amoreena and Grey Seal!) but then again it´s a rock show and he´s a crowdpleaser... I like his two latest albums too, and everything up to (and including) Captain Fantastic is - fantastic. Go Elton! :thu:

Folks:

You sing and yell "Rock and Roll" music for 2 hours night after night concert after concert and see what your voice sounds like. Just like a "MOO COW". And Elton has been doing it for how many years?? and still doing it!!.

Inventor1

Originally posted by Joe P:

Mr. Schniggens,

Did Elton solo over E Minor?

Regards,

Joe

LOL, you go, boy

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha MOXF8, Ventilator 2

Originally posted by MrVegas:

Mr. Schniggens,

Regards,

Joe

LOL, you go, boy
I don't know, but it seems that Michael Jackson solo'd over A minor :eek::evil:

Originally posted by JMcS:

Originally posted by MrVegas:

Mr. Schniggens,

Regards,

Joe

LOL, you go, boy
I don't know, but it seems that Michael Jackson solo'd over A minor :eek::evil:
That was a duet - "Please Let Your Son Go Down On Me".

:D

Amateur Hack

Paul McCartney is doing great in spite of 40 years of Rock and Roll ... but that's a pretty lofty standard, even for a perennial star like EJ!

PS: If the only time you heard PM recently was the Superbowl half-time show, that doesn't count. His voice was off that night, compared to when I saw his show last year. He pulled it off, but not flawlessly like his concert.

I'd like to hear EJ's tunes off Tumbleweed & Madman ... I guess I'm just an old fart!

Archived