Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evolver questions

Dan South

Originally posted by Ravi Ivan Sharma:

Originally posted by Wooden:

oh ok... so no added voices :)

I really wanted an EVO but one voice is to little if you only have a VA

Evolvers are not VA (virtual analog).
Except for the somewhat limited controller ability of the Micron (no at...) , they're actually a great combination! I have to get a gig where I can use the Micron and the Evolver!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh ok... so no added voices :)

Analogue synthesizer voices can't be added by software but require real hardware.

so i got a micron. Maybe next time :)
The micron is most likely a good choice for a start. You'll need an Evolver later though ;)

Originally posted by Marzzz:

- updating the Rack involves both loading software and replacing 5 chips , it was so simple it took me all of 5 minutes to do it, and I am not exactly all that familiar with pulling chips! Oh, and it's a free upgrade, minus the postage to send the old chips back to DSI.

But the upgrade not only envolves software ;)

plus, it has digital oscillators that could be (eventually) upgraded that way right? :wave:

- updating the Rack involves both loading software and replacing 5 chips , it was so simple it took me all of 5 minutes to do it, and I am not exactly all that familiar with pulling chips! Oh, and it's a free upgrade, minus the postage to send the old chips back to DSI.

But the upgrade not only envolves software ;)

plus, it has digital oscillators that could be (eventually) upgraded that way right? :wave:

Well, as quoted I said the update involves changing out hardware chips as well as loading new software, so I am not sure I understand you here. :confused:

As far as the upgradability of the digital oscillators, I'll leave the details to dB, but you can certainly load in your own user waveforms via software.

One thing to remember is that there ain't nothing virtual about the Evolver!

it has digital oscillators that could be (eventually) upgraded that way right? :wave:

Upgraded how?

Evolver's digital oscillators aren't software-based (like a VA) - they get their waveforms from digitized very short (single cycle) waveform samples; and (as Marzzz mentioned previously) you can upgrade them yourself by adding 32 more custom waveforms if you choose. :cool:

Dave's quite happy with the way the digital oscillators perform - as far as I know, he doesn't really have any plans to do anything to them at all.

As far as the one voice not being enough thing, monophonic instruments are a beautiful thing - just ask anyone who owns a MiniMoog, an ARP 2600, an Oberheim SEM, or a Sequential Circuits Pro One...not to mention the fact that the majority of the instruments of the orchestra (and the human voice!) are monophonic... ;)

If your music calls for bass parts, leads, melodic hooks/harmonies, or special effects, mono synths can definitely serve you well. :thu:

BTW - It should also be mentioned that each of the four rows of the Evolver's onboard sequencer can trigger any of the four individual oscillators, so it is possible for an Evolver to generate four parts at once. Nice for all sorts of electronica...

dB

DSI

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Im sorry everyone, i didnt know the Evolver's oscillators are not software based... My apologizes to every one.

And yes, i am planning to buy an evolver anytime soon, but for now i needed more voices for pads and such things, since it would be my only hardware keyboard. I have been searching on Ebay almost daily to find one used, but I think they are too new and too good so people dont want to get rid of them :)

Is the software to locate the waveforms released? i read about that in keyboard's review, but they said that at the time of the review the app wasnt released.

What is the "format" that the loadable waveforms should have? i mean, lenght, etc?

Is the software to locate the waveforms released? i read about that in keyboard's review, but they said that at the time of the review the app wasnt released.

What is the "format" that the loadable waveforms should have? i mean, lenght, etc?

It's available here ...

Individual samples need to be 128 word, 16 bit. You can store up to 32 of them.

dB

DSI

• 4 weeks later...

PEK SEQUENCER questions...

I have sequencer questions for dB or Bluescreen. I'm just now dabbling into creating my own sequences. It is a lot of fun. Playing some of the presets with their sequences enabled brings on an entirely new character and I got lost in this world for quite some time.

I would like to know if there is an easy way to "zero out" or erase the sequences that are already saved with the Programs. I could not find anything in the manual on this. One way is to crank down all 16 knobs to the left, but this is a little bit time-consuming when there are multiple sequences running (up to 4 per Program, right?)...

Is there a macro or menu command that will erase the sequencer data to give me a clean slate?

One more related question...when I try to replace the existing sequence by playing the keyboard (Hit Write and then Start Button on sequencer), playing the keys for sequencer data entry simply causes the existing programmed notes to replay no matter what keys I play - it does not overwrite the existing notes. Am I missing a step here? I think I read that keyboard entry was a new feature for the PEK and so I'm just trying to get the hang of it.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I think there is no way to reset all sequencer steps to zero in one step from the PEK UI.

The soundtower software editor offers a function to do this with one mouse click.

Concerning your second question:

Are you sure that you are editing the sequence row that contains the pitch values ?

Not very factory sound has notes in sequencer row 1, some have different modulation destinations in row one and the "notes" are located in row 2,3 or 4. Maybe you can check the mod destination of the row that you're editing first.

Regards

Stefan

Originally posted by Bluescreen:

I think there is no way to reset all sequencer steps to zero in one step from the PEK UI. The soundtower software editor offers a function to do this with one mouse click.

Concerning your second question:

Are you sure that you are editing the sequence row that contains the pitch values ?

Not very factory sound has notes in sequencer row 1, some have different modulation destinations in row one and the "notes" are located in row 2,3 or 4. Maybe you can check the mod destination of the row that you're editing first.

Thanks for your reply, Stefan. On #1, it would be handy to have a shortcut to zero out the values, but I suppose I can deal with it. :)

On #2, that's a good point. I was not checking the Destination prior to editing and so I'll do that going forward to see if the notes actually reside in a different row. I'm just starting to scratch the surface on this sequencer. I found that creating a contrapuntal melody over top of some of the preset patterns is pretty gratifying and this is really easy to do. I can't wait to get familiar enough with it to start creating some more original stuff.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

... I would like to know if there is an easy way to "zero out" or erase the sequences that are already saved with the Programs. I could not find anything in the manual on this. One way is to crank down all 16 knobs to the left, but this is a little bit time-consuming when there are multiple sequences running (up to 4 per Program, right?)...

What you can do, I believe, is do this once and save that sequence in a patch. Then, any time you want to start with a blank sequence you can copy that initialized sequence into the patch you are working on. How to copy a sequence is covererd somewhere early in the manual. I don't have it with me so I cannot tell you the page.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The PEK has really been "the real deal" for me - I've liquidated a huge chunk of my studio gear to get it. I love the analog side of the instrument but appreciate the "spice" provided by the digital side!

I created a small website with pictures of my Evolver key/rack as well as Waveform charts for the digital waves:

http://www.carbon111.com/evolver.html

Best Regards, James

Nice Pic! How do you like that original MicroWave??

Forget the Microwave - he's got a Wedge! ;)

I actually really like the Wedge - i think it's one of the best reverbs Alesis made (I also still have one, and use it regularly). It's guts are in the Andromeda, too...

dB

Its nice - has some very warm pads and bass. Not nearly as flexible as the XT though...and the UI - UGH! It *is* a sweet synth though - you'd still have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. Not to mention that I love the fact that its one of the "Lean Green Machines" Waldorf released as a limited edition when OS2 came out for the MW.

Given the choice of only one, I'm afraid it would have to be the XT though regardless of its digital nature - I'm no "anasnob", good sound is good sound! The filters on the Orange Beast are *amazing* and besides being a great "weird sound" machine due to the wavetables, its actually *more* analog sounding in certain circumstances than many VAs and even some Analogs ;) Also, its one of the best evolving-complex-pad machines its been my pleasure to program.

I've devoted an entire "Tips & Tricks" website to the beast:

http://www.carbon111.com/mwxt.html

That being said, it compliments the PEK *very* well - both synths certainly don't lack for knobs! I'm a sucker for a good UI! ;D

Best Regards, James

--

http://www.carbon111.com

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Forget the Microwave - he's got a Wedge! ;)
Yeah, I was looking for a good stand-alone echo that also had a good 'verb and stumbled on the Wedge. Its a unique sounding device and gives a refreshing change from TC Electronic (transparent) or Lexicon(natural). Also, the subtle "grainyness" that seems to plague some of Alesis' 'verbs is happily absent. Great box. If people can find a Wedge at a good price - snap it up! It is/was a real sleeper!

Best Regards, James

--

http://www.carbon111.com

Yeah, but does it have resonant filters? :D

No, but the Fireworx mounted above it does ;)

The Wedge *does* have some weird effects though...it really was quite a suprise, I never expected it to end up being one of my go-to FX units for tracking but there it is :D

btw here is a short PEK audio demo that I produced as addition to a PEK review for the german Keys magazine :

Poly Evolver Sounddemo

As usual there were only 2 or 3 evenings time before the deadline, so it's not very detailed or sophisticated and I am not quite sure if it does justice to the PEKs great sound. I had some fun though with some of my own sounds and Dave Bryces great factory leads ;)

All sounds including drums from the Evolver.

Regards

Stefan

Stepan:

Good work. That demo is quite musical, with that little touch of the PEK weirdness to keep things interesting. It goes to show that the PEK in the hands of a great player is unbeatable!. These little sound bites you post keeps my mouth watering for a PEK. My Kingdom for a job. :(

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 1 month later...

I'm giving the PEK another whirl as controller for a Nord Electro. Here's what I'm hoping to do and I think it is not possible, since the PEK's global MIDI settings are not separated between transmit and receive.

I want to have a Roland EV5 pedal control PEK volume only and not the volume of the Electro. This way I can simply sweep the pedal down when I want to hear ONLY the Electro being triggered by the PEK. So I plugged in a pedal and set the global FC1 control to Volume. Both PEK and Electro volume was impacted until I turned off

the MIDI Control parameter in global on the PEK. Now it works like I wanted, but the PEK will no longer accept bank change messages from my S90!

I would also like to have the PEK not send program changes to the Electro, but if I turn this off on the PEK, then it won't receive them from the S90. Ultimately, here is what I want to achieve:

S90 MIDI'd to PEK for sending Master setups - primarily program and bank changes to the PEK. S90 is also MIDI'd to Electro for similar

purposes (MIDI merge to allow S90 and PEK to control Electro). PEK MIDI'd to Electro for just triggering sounds - no program changes or volume pedal changes.

So if I want to have my rig integrated, I don't think the PEK has sophisticated MIDI parameters to turn certain controllers on and off depending upon TX or RX - it is all or nothing for most of them.

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Eric

Archived