Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evolver questions

Dan South

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by MikeT156:

You can always post your photos on www.photobucket.com, that way you have a URL to link to various sites that want a website to post pictures from. It allows you to reduce your photo when copying it to another site to 75 , 50, and 25% of the original. It makes linking things a lot easier and less time consuming. The picture of my Arp Odessey I started using for my Avatar on this site is 25% the size of the original and that's where I have it sitting, photobucket, and its FREE.

If you're talking to me, brother Mike - my photos are hosted on Photobucket, and that is actually how I downsized them. :thu:

Thanks for the tip anyway - I'm sure it'll be useful to others! :cool:

dB

Very useful actually. I've been meaning to sign up for something that would let me show you guys my serial #'s! ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by tarkus:

--------------------------------------------------

Ok - Given that the Price of the PolyEvolver is competitive with all the wonderful new VA's and Real A's (approx - $2400), should I consider the poly before all others?

--------------------------------------------------

I don't have an ax to grind for any synth that's out there and I'd say the Poly KB Evolver is a great analog synth for anyone that doesn't want more of the same of what's already out there. I will be able to do things with the PEK that I can't do with any of the other synths I have. I still own a Moog Source, an Arp Odessey, and a Prophet 5, so I have something to make comparisons too. Oh, and in the VA category, I also have an Alesis ION, which is pretty cool. But the PEK is my next purchase. :thu:

I just started working again, so I hope that will be sooner rather than later.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Dave Bryce can let you know if anyone on 48th street has any yet. But, a Triton? Two different animals dude. If you really want a workstation and not a real synthesizer, that's one thing, but it sounds like you're comparing apples and oranges. :confused:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by tarkus:

Can the PEK do some traditional Mono Analog things as well?

That'd be a very big yes. :thu:

The instrument has Curtis analog oscillators and Curtis analog filters, and three different mono modes - single voice Mono (like the tabletop Evo), slightly detuned Unison, and extra fat Unison. :cool:

I'll hit 48th st tonight - In hopes that someone there will have one.
You won't find it.

Sam Ash's stores don't carry the DSI stuff - only their online division. The only store in NYC that carries them is Two Lines Music, and we haven't shipped them a PEK yet.

Also, judging by the backorders, it may be a while before any store actually has units sitting out on demo.

dB

DSI

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by MikeT156:

But, a Triton? Two different animals dude. If you really want a workstation and not a real synthesizer, that's one thing, but it sounds like you're comparing apples and oranges. :confused:

Mike T.

I want both. :thu:

The Triton has its purpose. When I gig (or used to before castastrophe struck) I used the Triton as my main board and an analog or VA or SWA as my top board for pallette versatility.

Hence, my previous posts re: PEK, VA's, Polar Ti etccc

Quote by Tarkus:

---------------------------------------------

I want both.

The Triton has its purpose. When I gig (or used to before castastrophe struck) I used the Triton as my main board and an analog or VA or SWA as my top board for pallette versatility.

Hence, my previous posts re: PEK, VA's, Polar Ti etccc

--------------------------------------------

Ok, got ya. Yep, I have a Motif ES8 for my workstation and have my other KB's on stands along side the Motif. Man (or woman) cannot live on one KB alone. Judging by what Dave Bryce just posted, it will be awhile until the backorders are filled and there are some PEK's around to try. I'm not worried about trying one out, my ears tell my I WILL have one, and I understand that DSI put a quality keyboard on the PEK so it will be good to go.

Mike T.

Originally posted by Dan South:

I think that an analog synth should have the capacity to sound rich and warm in addition to sounding rude and abrasive.

The Evolver can sound rich and warm. It only needs someone who makes the appropriate compositions and mp3s.

Unfortunately I can only make stuff like that:

FastRezzy

:evil::D

Drums come from the Evolver and Stylus RMX. I used the Evos stepsequencer to trigger the filterenvelopes of Stylus. Fun ;)

Thanks to Dave Bryce for a ton of wonderful sounding, useful and playable factory sounds :thu:

Hmm, and sorry for abusing them again :cool:

Quote by Bluescreen:

-------------------------------------------

Drums come from the Evolver and Stylus RMX. I used the Evos stepsequencer to trigger the filterenvelopes of Stylus. Fun :D

-------------------------------------------

"Fun" .....same thing Dave Smith said about the PEK at his short video clip from Winter NAMM. I hope musicians never get so boring that we lose sight of that.

Very cool demo. :)

Mike T.

Can I use the editor while running Logic sequences simultaneously? Can I edit Poly (rack) Evo sounds while Logic is playing notes on the unit?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

That Polyevolver looks great. So Dave, when will it be in Sam Ash and Guitar Center? I'd really like to take one for a spin.

OLD SYNTHESIZER COLLECTOR & USER

Especially into modular & analog synths, esoteric & broken stuff. Always looking for more synths!

oldsynthguy@aol.com

Originally posted by oldsynthguy:

That Polyevolver looks great. So Dave, when will it be in Sam Ash and Guitar Center? I'd really like to take one for a spin.

Yeah, and when are they going to start carrying Ferrari's at the local Ford dealer? I want to take a test drive!

;)

:D:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by eric:

What kind of wood was used for the end panels? The photos I've seen online almost look like cherry?

Not sure - I'll ask Dave...

Originally posted by oldsynthguy:

Sam Ash currently only offers them through their online store...for now. Guitar Center does not stock the DSI line.

If you want to change that, my suggestion is to go into the store and ask them for it.

Also, if you PM me and let me know where you are, I would be more than happy to try and arrange a demo for you. :thu:

dB

DSI

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

What kind of wood was used for the end panels? The photos I've seen online almost look like cherry?

Not sure - I'll ask Dave...
Dave sez:

"It's called Jarrah, from Australia. They're coming out better than I imagined - all different, great wood grains, some more rosewood-like, some a little lighter, some a little darker."

dB

DSI

dB,

Thanks for the info! I had never heard of Jarrah wood before, but a quick Google search reveals the following:

Jarrah Properties

Jarrah is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most durable timbers in the world and has long been recognized as a fine general purpose hardwood. At a density of 820 kilos per cubic meter, Jarrah is nearly one-third denser than European and American Oak, and between 30-40% denser than teak. In European terms the wood is classified a class 1 and in Australia a class 2 timber. The wood varies in colour from a rich reddish brown to a soft salmon pink depending on the age of the wood, and has an attractive dense grain and natural lustre.

Jarrah trees grow to a height of between 30 and 40 meters (100 to 130 feet) with a straight trunk of up to 18 meters (60 feet) and a diameter of up to 2 meters (6 feet).

Jarrah is highly resistant to damp, rot, fungal growth, fire, termite and marine borers and is impervious to most acids.

More info here:

Jarrah Wood Info

Sounds like a great material for the PEK end pieces!

Regards,

Eric

dB,

Here's another question for you that I don't remember seeing documented. I know the PEK has multiple inputs, presumably for processing the internal sound or external sounds through the PEK filters and so forth.

Using the inputs, can an external keyboard be routed through the PEK to leverage *just* the PEK delay FX? What impact does this have on the PEK programming and limitations to voices? Let's say I ran an Electro into the PEK to get some basic delay FX processing from the PEK. I'm assuming I would need to program this into the patches and it could impact the available synth parts in the PEK, but not really sure. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

dB or Bluescreen, I have a question for you about using Unison mode for Combos. Can it be done? I am trying to shuffle a bunch of sounds over into Combo Bank 2, which is a blank slate. My intent is to organize my favorite patches over there in Combo mode for gigging, to avoid needing to shuffle the patch memory, which would be a manual pain in the butt.

What I did was set up one "template" Combo that has just one part turned on and then I am just taking this Combo and changing the patch number, renaming it and saving it to a new Combo slot in Bank 2. I am finding that any patch with Unison does not seem to carry the Unison setting over to Combo mode and I cannot find an edit within Combo mode to re-enable Unison. Am I missing something?

Also, is there any shortcut to what I am doing? I was looking for a way to do something like "Patch to Combo" directly from the patch, so it would automatically port over into a Combo with its name and everything. This is probably too much to ask, but it would save me time as I try to leverage the blank Combo bank for my gig sounds. Ultimately, the gig sounds will get further customization to stack and split sounds, but for now, it is really just a place to save my favorites and isolate them for gigging.

Thanks for any help on the Unison question!

Regards,

Eric

I have a question for you about using Unison mode for Combos. Can it be done? I am trying to shuffle a bunch of sounds over into Combo Bank 2, which is a blank slate. My intent is to organize my favorite patches over there in Combo mode for gigging, to avoid needing to shuffle the patch memory, which would be a manual pain in the butt.

What I did was set up one "template" Combo that has just one part turned on and then I am just taking this Combo and changing the patch number, renaming it and saving it to a new Combo slot in Bank 2. I am finding that any patch with Unison does not seem to carry the Unison setting over to Combo mode and I cannot find an edit within Combo mode to re-enable Unison. Am I missing something?

Not as easily as you'd like...

Combo mode basically turns the Poly into four individual mono Evolvers that you can configure any way you like - it's not really meant to be a Master mode, like on the MOTIF.

To do what you want, you'd have to manually rebuild the Unison yourself by making a Combo with all four parts set to mono, then use the program you want in all four parts (even though it's Unison in program mode, it'll show up as a mono program in this configuration of Combo mode), manually detune each one, and save it. That should do it.

dB

DSI

How does the rack interface with a knob laden controller? Are the CC routings within the PolyEvolver hard coded so that the controller needs to be programmed, or can things like filter amount and resonance in the Evolver be assigned to a CC number? If they are hard coded do the rack and the original Evolver have the same assignment?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The Evolver has too many possible synthesis parameters to allow simple midi cc control:

16 for the 3 envelopes

4*4 for LFOs

5*3 for modulators

2*5 for analog oscs

2*8 for the digital oscs

7 for the lp filter

4 for the amp

7 for noise, ext in, hp-filter,output hack, distortion and tuned feedback

3*4 for delays

8*2 for misc parameters

4*17 for step sequencers

multiple on/off or toggle switches

Maybe I didn't count quite correct at this time of day, but it's clear that you'd run out off cc numbers.

Therefore Dave Smith chose SysEx control for synthesis parameters.

There are several midi cc though that can be routed to any synthesis parameter via the modulation matrix:

ModWheel, Pressure, Velocity, Foot Controller, Breath, Expression, Pitch Bend (needn't be routed to pitch, but can control any other parameter as well)

This is imho sufficient for live playing and sound scaping. You can even program the matrix in a way that the modwheel for example varies up to 5 parameters at a time.

Sound programming however doesn't make sense with a generic controller. You would need 4 or 5 BCR 2000 controller boxes (if they could send sysex) to cover every parameter.

I think that soundprogramming needs a dedicated controller with a specialized UI like Evolver or Evolver Keyboard, or you should use a software editor.

I once programmed a BCR 2000 template for the Waldorf Pulse. Even for this very simple synthesizer the 32 knobs of the BCR weren't enough, I had to allocate 2 paramters to a few knobs...

Thanks Bluescreen. Programming was not really the intent of my question. I am interested in having a lot of control when playing solos. I would like to have at least 8 sliders and a couple of switches in addition to the standard after touch, mod wheel, pedal, etc. Switches are handy to change between mono and poly, and to turn glide on and off during a solo. I like to have sliders ready for filter controls, a second LFO set to a high speed for buzz, cross fading oscillators, and a few other tricks. Since I use one controller for multiple modules it would be nice if I can program some consistency across the modules rather than having to set up a different program for each module. Also, global assignments keep me from having to eat up user program slots just to somehow route cc data to my most used parameters.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived