Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Spotting (what are the "pro's" playing?)

daBowsa

Originally posted by stu3284:

Anyway a couple of recent gigs included Greenday who used a Motif 8 which was in a black MDF (particle board i think you call over there) fold away stand which sort of resembles a C3 when set up.

That's probably why I had so much trouble identifying what board it was. I was ready to just chalk it up as a grand piano with the front folded downward and hidden under the stage. :P Once I figured it it was a Motif I finally put two and two together and realized where they were getting the guitar tremolo effect from.

That being said, I think it's a progression with Green Day. They went from loud and snotty to a much more mature band capable of writing some very well arranged music with a running storyline. I'd call it growing up since it wouldn't make sense for them to write "409 In Your Coffeemaker" at 35.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread, hopefully I can contibute next time I see a band live, on TV or DVD.

dabowsa - what did you think of Joss Stone & her band? I have high hopes for her.

I haven't seen the Tonight show performance but if her band members haven't changed the keyboardists are Raymond Angry & Abel Pabon, anyone know what else they've done?

FWIW I agree with that last paragraph about Green Day!

John Scott

Saw Russell Ferrante and the Yellowjackets at Iridium in NYC two weeks ago. He used the house Steinway B (of course) and a Triton Studio 76. Of course, Russell could have played a 49-key Casio from 1986 and still kicked my ass.

Saw Toto at B.B. King's on Sunday night. Greg Philliganes was on keys. Had another Triton Studio 76 on top, Motif ES8 on bottom.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

I saw Jordan Rudess in the Rudess Morganstein project opening for Porcupine Tree the other day, and he was using both a Kurz (K2600?), and a Korg Triton Extreme.

I couldn't identify any of the Porcupine Tree keyboards. It didn't look like any of them had labels.

I saw Green Day a few weeks ago (just because, I'll admit I'm no fan). They were so freakin loud, it wouldnt have mattered if the guy used a Motif 8 or a brick and garbage cans. Who could tell the difference? Once you hit that level of volume, everything sounds like noise....and they sounded just like that....noise! That being said, they were good entertainers. I'm not so convinced that they are good musicians.

Now I will sit back and take the bullets from the rest of you for voicing my Green Day opinion :)

LOL No bullets here! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have to admit they were pretty loud when I saw them play. I could hear the keyboards fine but it's one of those bands with multiple guitar and bass cabs running. Probably not a "let the PA do more of the work" kind of band.

I know this may not qualify as famous people but there were a number of keyboards I saw a few weekends ago.

I was at a local charity walk and they had a different popular local bands playing every mile (5 miles)and different bands playing after the event on the main stage. The keyboards I saw were:

Kurzweil k2600

Korg Triton, Trinity, O1W,

Roland RD700, RD500, D50

Yamaha S80, S90, P90, P250, Motif, Motif ES

Alesis Quadrasynth

Many of the bands keyboardist had more than one keyboard. I saw many Motif/ES/S90 and Triton Combo's.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Just saw local jazz icon Alan Barnes (Blackbyrds, Gil Scott Heron, Detroit Jazz Experiment) at lunch. His keyboardist was using some sort of Kurz, 2600 maybe - split for LH bass and RH organ, very convincing and well played.

But what was really odd was on All Blues, Barnes whipped out a Casio Midi Horn!!! OMG!!! I used to have one, was fun to use as a controller. But he just used a stock sound and played it into the mic. Nice job, though I think I'd have preferred to hear a real sax. He only had his tenor with him, so maybe he wanted to avoid carrying another one.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by Immo:

the Rudess Morganstein project opening for Porcupine Tree

:eek:

Damn... I just realized that I missed PT up here in Toronto 2 nights ago... :cry:

I couldn't identify any of the Porcupine Tree keyboards. It didn't look like any of them had labels.

Richard Barbieri has been playing a Roland V-Synth recently (usually his top board, if memory serves). Not sure about the other board(s).

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by Immo:

the Rudess Morganstein project opening for Porcupine Tree

:eek:

Damn... I just realized that I missed PT up here in Toronto 2 nights ago... :cry:

Robert Fripp was opening for some of their shows. Irving Plaza, where they performed here, was standing room only, so I got there early and stood three people back from the stage.

However as soon as I got there I realized my earplugs were with my checked bag. My ears would've appreciated them the next day.

If I am not mistaken one of Paul Schafer's (David letterman Show) keyboards is a Triton xtreme----blue color is a giveaway----although his keyboards seem to have the name on them blanked for some reason---probably legal advertizing money stuff. In fact it looks to be the main one right in front of him. He may use it as a controller

KTM

There are two things one MUST know in order to be succesful.

1)Do not tell people everything you know

Sorry, but if you're referring to the synth on top of the Hammond, you're mistaken. ;)

That "blue" synth you see is actually a Roland JD-800:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/images/jd800.jpg

It's common practice for network television broadcasts to obscure logos and brand names for products not paying for product placements; that would be one reason for the covering of the mfg. name... :)

Cheers,

SG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jazidup:

anybody know james poyser's set-up?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better yet... anybody know of James Poyser (without a web search)?

Cheers,

SG

If i'm not mistaken, James Poyser is a keyboard player and producer for several hip hop artists. The guy plays for Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, Laureen Hill, Roy Hargrove ("RH Factor") and others. He's from Philadelphia and as far as i know, he's quite known there (has played with The Roots too). Nice sounds, good taste in music. There are some hints in Yahoo

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Wayne Linsey who plays with the ricky minor band uses a Yamaha Motif ES8 and a Korg TRITON. I've seen them on american idol playing on the actual performances. When they show the contestants rehearsing i've seen another keyboard player with a RD-700 and at times a Motif ES8.

The backup keybaord player for the ricky minor band uses a clavia nord lead 2 a korg trinity V3 Pro, and a Roalnd XV-80, i've also seen him at times with a hammond clone. I think a hammond suzuki but i couldn't really see it.

I saw a nick and Jessica Simpson concert the other day and their keybaord player had a Motif ES8 and an ES7.

There was an eagles concert on tv and their keyboard players had a B-3 and a grand piano and the aux keyboard player had an S-90 and a TRITON.

on Sunday morning i saw the bobby jones gospel program and saw their keybaord players with a Yamaha Motif ES8 and the aux player had a Diversi organ clone and a Korg TRITON Studio.

I also saw a video clip online of peter white and his keyboard player had an S-90 and a Roland XP-30. He also had a laptop. He was playing with another smooth jazz artist whose keyboard player had an XP-80 and an XP-30.

I saw some a DVD of alicia keys and her keyboard player Onree Gill had a fender rhodes Suitcase 73 Mark I and a korg Trinity V3 Pro.

her aux keyboard player had a b-3 a trinity and a triton.

there was also another setup that had a novation K station and a clavia keyboard, i forget the model.

alicia would switch between a Yamaha Grand, a PC-88MX, a Motif ES8, and a Wurlitzer EP-200A.

and finally

i saw a Beyonce dvd with her keyboard player Joe Wilson using a Yamaha Motif ES8 and a Korg TRITON Studio and her aux keyboard player using a Yamaha Motif ES8 and a Korg Triton Pro. They also had a Korg TRITON Rack and an AkaI MPC-4000 in the background. Her Bass player used a Clavia Nord Lead keybaord, and from what i've seen onine he also has a Moog Minimoog Voyager Anniversary Edition keyboard, and a Studio Electronics Omega 8 module.

later

walt

I saw a resturaunt commercial wherein the keyboardist was playing outside of the resturaunt with a Kurz on the bottom and a Nord on top.

The second viewing showed the Nord tilted further towards him . :D

("take two ...")

Anyone who sees Jordan Rudess with Dream Theater this summer on Gigantour, or the fall/winter "Evening With" solos shows will see a Korg OASYS, a Haaken Continuum, and a Roland V-Synth, which will generate the sounds for the Continuum. He's also mentioned 2-3 surprises, which have yet to be revealed.
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

• 8 months later...

Just loaded in Kelly Clarkson and her set consisted of a B3 (painted silver - yack) with a Triton Pro on top. The B3 ran through a 122.

The other set up was a M Audio Keystation 88 and a Oxygen 8 and a Trigger Pad and also a Pro Tool set up. There was also a fake 7ft grand with a M Audio Prokeys 88 stuffed in the end. Could'nt take any photos as my camera phone is full of sea water.

I saw two bands recently. A five piece band playing at a club in NY and a two piece combo playing locally (NJ). The keyboard player in the five piece band was playing a Roland XP 30. The muscians in the two piece combo were both playing Roland XP 30's also. They also both played horns (alternated) and had a laptop running. The keys sounded decent. I guess portability was the main issue in their keyboard selections. First time I have ever seen or heard the XP 30.
Yamis

In John Legend's live DVD - he's playing what looks like a Kawai digital piano (can't tell the model) stuffed in the end of his grand. There were three other guys with keys on stage as well - one with a Yamaha Motif & Nord Eletrco, the bassist has a Moog Voyager, and the aux keyboadists had a Nord Electro, Nord Lead, & a Powerbook running Ableton Live.

I've seen the Mars Volta 5 or 6 times, in thier latest show Ikey Owens used a Wurlitzer EP, Korg CX-3, & another unidentifed board. Thier aux keyboardest used a Fender Rhodes 73.

The Decemberists use a Nord Electro & a Roland VK-7.

For the Bright Eyes "Digital Ash" tour, there was a Wurlitzer EP, MiniMoog Voyager, Nord Lead 3, & Yamaha An1x on stage.

I played keys at a praise & worship concert at the Roberts Orpheum Theatre in St. Louis this past Friday night. Lot's o' black & whites on stage for the 4 of us that manned the keys that evening. I had my Ensoniq SD1 and Alesis Ion, the main piano guy used a Triton Studio 88, the worship leader did some solo spots at a Yamaha P250 and one of the guest artists used a Triton Studio 61 for sequence playback and a K2600 for some tasty Rhodes work.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Originally posted by garrafon:

I saw Green Day a few weeks ago (just because, I'll admit I'm no fan). They were so freakin loud, it wouldnt have mattered if the guy used a Motif 8 or a brick and garbage cans. Who could tell the difference? Once you hit that level of volume, everything sounds like noise....and they sounded just like that....noise! That being said, they were good entertainers. I'm not so convinced that they are good musicians.

Now I will sit back and take the bullets from the rest of you for voicing my Green Day opinion :)

LOL....... Your right....... :)

Archived