Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's up with my organ?

Rdub

I managed to pick up a hammond h-112 organ for CDN $50 about six months ago from my elederly next door neighbor (it was an epic move getting it into my house). Even with my limited knowledge of organs i'm pretty sure i got a good deal.

I've got a couple of questions for you fine folks that hopefully you can help me out with.

First of all does anyone know much about these beasts? (this mother is huge) How similar are they to a B3 (and if anyone wants to go into a sidebar whats so special about the B3 anyway?) Also anyone care to venture what it might be worth?

Secondly it plays well but not perfectly... it has a couple of minor(i hope) problems that hopefully someone can tell me how to adress, or if you live in/near victoria B.C who to talk to.

1) general hissing/poping. This does'nt happen all the time, but sometimes it makes strange hissing sounds and sometimes when adjusting the drawbars or flicking it's switches it makes scratchy popping noises. Keep in mind all of its tones play from what i know pretty well (i think it sounds pretty damn amazing, if only i knew how to play it better)

2) The vibrato function works, but makes this low frequency "whup whub whud" noise. it's almost a neat effect when its it time, but i'm pretty sure its not supposed to be doing that...

So... anyone know anything about organs? what do you think guys? Can i fix these things myself? how much would it cost me? or do i need to call someone? and how much would that cost me?

-Ryan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably needs a good cleaning and overhaul. Not a do-it-yourself type job. Try Jerry Welch, the last of the original Hammond guys. He's got parts, and can probably put you in touch with a local(?) repairman. jjwelch@theramp.net

Or try Bill Brown at www.bborgan.com

Or www.tonewheel.com for repair references and parts(lots of them).

By the way, B3s ROCK! Good luck, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

The good news is that it's a "real" Hammond - it has the authentic electromechanical tone generator that is the heart of the B-3 and all other desireable Hammonds, and not that transistor crap that replaced it later.

Extra drawbars for more harmonics, overhanging keys instead of waterfall, extra percussion tabs are some of the changes to a B-3.

I'm not sure if the chorus/vibrato is the same rotating scanner as a B-3, but the thumping you describe sounds like what you get on a scanner after many years when there are little metal "hairs" that grow and cause signal bleed between terminals.

Moe

---

Thanks for the info guys. I think i might open up the back of the beast and attempt a very minor cleaning myself to see if i can reduce some of the hissing/popping. Does anyone have any suggestions and how to go about doing something like that?

A good starting point is the tubes. Remove one at a time, dip pins in a good de-oxident, then replace immediately, so that some fluid gets into the socket females. I use something called De-Ox-It, but Radio Shack probably has something. Should produce a noticable difference immediately. Don't mess with parts unless you have a source for backup and a tech sheet; especially the tone generators. If you check the links, schematics are downloadable from:

www.tonewheel.com

Good luck, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Whoa.....you got an H for fifty bucks?!! :eek:

Wicked score, mon!

Here's a nice picture of one:

(had to use this link 'cause, like the organ itself, the picture is a big one)

http://www.berkeleymusic.com/hamorg.jpg

You're most likely aware of Copeland Music Centre,

http://www.hammondsuzukistore.com/index.html

right in your Victoria 'hood.

Lann Copeland, the proprietor, is western Canada's top Hammond dealer.

He has tons of experience in these matters, and a good service team.

In fact, according to their website, they have an H in stock for $1900US.

(Heck, there's another one on the 'Net for $3500US !)

You've got a potential lifetime project on your hands there, friend.

The Hammond H-100 series organs are excellent machines.

Pretty well "B-3" guts, with some extra goodies.

You can most definitely do a lot of stuff yourself.

Thankfully, there's all kinds of info about Hammonds all over the www.

Archived