Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WTF is with "Strats"?

I have a strat and use it alot, I have switched out all of the pups and all of the wiring, the nut , the tuners , everything except for the Tremolo(bolted down so it does the job). Now I can still get "that sound" that a strat gets so that tells me it is not the pups. Is this really still a strat? I like the feel of the body but the sound leaves a little to desire when still "stock".

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i use a strat ALL the time and love it! i have a les pual that is "ok" but i can't get that funky tone i so groove on! as far as staying in tune.... well i say go get the damn thing set up by some one who knows what they are doing and you will have NO problems!!! i can do dive bombs out the ass and it stays in tune like a mo! but i must not be "that good of a guitar player if i have to use such tricks" even after 26 years of playing....well hell i am only 30 so maybe one day i will get a real guitar =) gt3 i would ask wtf is wrong with "open jams" ... ymmv

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Beotch: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Why do people buy them?[/b][/quote]Because guitarists are stuck in a time warp and are too blind to see that there are much-improved modern guitars available now. Ditto for LPs.[/b][/quote]That's funny! I find it so boring playing PRS's or something really well made. I'd rather have to squeeze it out of a piece of junk, it's more rewarding. Hay i had one once. Kept hitting the damn switch out of position with my frikkin hand! drove me nuts! Now i love them. It's an exciting guitar. You can get the shitty pick ups in them re-wound with better wire and hotter output to thicken them up a bit, the thing, is the hunk of wood. You just pick 20 up and look for the one that zings. The fretts sorta suck alot on the cheap ones too but, who cares if it sounds good.[/b][/quote]I was first going to post a question w/ details... like, why buy a guitar if you have to change everything out to get a decent tone. Jhall, you have made apparent the appeal of strats... it's like the guys that get honda civic's and soup them up to be "race cars." ;)

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

IMO strats were built to go with the fender twin reverb amp. The kids these days like to yank the bridge pickup and put a stacked humbucker in there, then run it through a Marshall JCM 2000 or something. There is a specific tone that comes with that mod, that is on every pop punk album out there. In any case, your sound should come from the style of music you play. If you play blues, a virgin strat/fender twin is the best option out there. If you play rock, you may alter it like that. Some people dig the les paul but dont be fooled by the epiphone copies. They are awful and officially suck. The les paul is a lot darker than a strat, and is good for the heavier rock / metal styles. If you put the les paul with mesa amps, you have all the heavy metal tones you would ever want.

http://www.kennyruyter.com/old/cowmix.mp3 <- Cowbell fever REMIX oh damn!!!

http://www.eastcoastbands.com

aka: ECBRules . thisOLDdude . keny . Scooch

[quote]Originally posted by CowbellAllen: What would happen if all the Strat players switched to say B.C Rich. How would your opinion change? Would you think the world is better off without Strats and with B.C. Rich?[/QB][/quote]Ahhhh not B.C. Rich they suck big hairy wringly poopy ass

Oh boy.... Strats, Les Pauls, Tele's, Paul Reed Smith... Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, Fender..... Colors. Thats all. They all have their purpose and place. For a particular sound only one of these combinations is the holy grail, but they all are great sounds. Don't limit yourself to any one version of the truth, be it guitar or ideology. Just make some music. :wave:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Just so you should know, the Stratocaster is probably the BEST fucking ELECTRIC guitar design ever invented. It allowed players to break all rules ever devised for guitar playing. In the hands of a competent ELECTRIC guitar player, there's magic in the design. In lesser hands, you wind up with crap. It's an instrument in it's own right, just like a violin or piano. It takes a good player to play the thing. I play all kinds of guitars. I love them all. For me, my Telecaster now rules. My Les Pauls (3 different varieties) do well for what they do. My Srat (I retired one 'cause I wore the frets out) is one of my faves. Terribly expressive. I love it to death. So why is my Telecaster my favorite, and not the Strat? Just 'cause it's a great guitar. I only ever played Strats and Pauls for 20 years, until I bought my Tele on a whim. After that, I learned to play the Tele beast, and can express myself the way I want to, and this PARTICULAR guitar gives up the goods. I have thought about trying to combine the best parts of my Strat and my Tele to give me my "ultimate beast." However, my unique Telecaster won't let me. It's got the magic. BTW, it's ugly as hell. Fender calls it "Inca Silver." I call it "baby shit green." Nonetheless, it kicks ass. An excellent guitar. I have 10 or so different guitars, and this guitar is superb. I retired my '84 Strat (after wearing out the frets), which was a superb guitar, and it had that "magic." I am first, and foremost, a Strat player. I was just lucky to find my Tele. They are "kin." I can play a Strat, but I like the sound that comes out of my Tele. As I play them, my preference may change. Still, I know how to play a Strat -- no brag, just fact. If someone plays a "Strat," and you think that it sounds like crap, don't blame it on the guitar.

[quote]Originally posted by RangerJay: [b]I retired my '84 Strat (after wearing out the frets), which was a superb guitar, and it had that "magic." .[/b][/quote]For the love of god get that bad boy re-fretted!!! :thu:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by stanner: [b] [quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]lol Chip :D I have a three word reply. [i][b] AMERICAN STANDARD STRATOCASTER[/b][/i] :thu: [/b][/quote]i concur s :cool: [/b][/quote]I have a 2 word comeback: SUHR STANDARD BTW - there isn't such a thing as an "American Standard Stratocaster" anymore. It has now been subsumed by the "American Series"....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Chip hit the nail on the head!!! Thanks, Chip. Guys, don't take it too seriously- we can all agree to disagree. :p [/b][/quote]Yes we can. :) But on behalf of SRV, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, and a shit load of other guitar players who have been getting superb sounds out of these many different models of Stratocaster for almost 50 years: WTF is with "You"! :D

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]But on behalf of SRV, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, and a shit load of other guitar players who have been getting superb sounds out of these many different models of Stratocaster for almost 50 years: [/b][/quote]Yeah, but the "different" models were basically all the same guitar, except SRV used rosewood necks and Jimi a 70's model.... They're sell twice as many guitars if they just made a "standard strat" just like the old ones, sold them for $799, and had one model Squier Strat at $150. IMO...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

My Grandfather used to tell me that the bad carpenter always blames his tools... :D I have a strat and a 335 and a strat nock off and..etc. etc. These are tools that I use to get the sound and feel that I am trying to express. To say that strats suck is a matter of opinion and is usually expressed by individuals who are trying to achieve a sound that the strat was not designed for. If I am going to play some SRV, I am going to use my '70's strat. What you are trying to accomplish dictates which guitar you should use. However if you suck.....the guitar isn't going to change that. :D

I love strats, man. After all, my Ibanez RG560 is really just a "superstrat". 24 frets, 2 single coils, and the bridge bucker + the Edge Floyd Rose for the vibrato. Nothing against Les Pauls or other guitars. The other thing is the shape. The contours are rather sensuous looking and feeling (esp. when you're nekkid :p ) And they're easy to mod too. Change the pickups, the vibrato, pickguard, even the neck if you want... Then again the new GP that came in my mailbox has a review of the new Gibson X-Explorer. Johnny Marr's on the cover for those interested (Feb 2003). Has the same wood as a LP Custom, with a slightly downsized body, compared to the original Explorer. Schweet.

Robbie Robertson, Jim Messina (pretty cool guitar work with Loggins and Messina), Albert King, Jimi... I had a Gibson Melody Maker and ES-340, but just couldn't figure out how my favorite players got that sound. I finally looked around, and saw that all of them played strats. It took me a few years, but I finally found the '65 Strat that I still play.

[quote]Originally posted by Doug Osborne: [b]Robbie Robertson, Jim Messina (pretty cool guitar work with Loggins and Messina), Albert King, Jimi... [/b][/quote]Unless I'm mistaken, Albert King played a right-handed Flying V 'upside down' - left handed.

[quote]Originally posted by PBBPaul: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Doug Osborne: [b]Robbie Robertson, Jim Messina (pretty cool guitar work with Loggins and Messina), Albert King, Jimi... [/b][/quote]Unless I'm mistaken, Albert King played a right-handed Flying V 'upside down' - left handed.[/b][/quote]Yeah, but I do have a video clip somewhere of him playing a strat, with great tone. He was just one of the players who inspired me to get a strat. My ES-340 can almost sound like just about anything, but a strat can sound only like a strat. BTW, star grounding schemes such as on [url=http://www.guitarnuts.com]www.guitarnuts.com[/url] can help a strat sound like a strat, but with much more gain before noise/buzz. Careful adjustment can also help them keep in tune through dive bombing and broken strings.

[quote]Originally posted by PBBPaul: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Doug Osborne: [b]Robbie Robertson, Jim Messina (pretty cool guitar work with Loggins and Messina), Albert King, Jimi... [/b][/quote]Unless I'm mistaken, Albert King played a right-handed Flying V 'upside down' - left handed.[/b][/quote]Yep, that would be Lucy.
I really don't know what to put here.

The best electric guitar music ever has been played on Stratocasters, time and time again. Les Pauls are for weenies who don't have enough talent to make a strat sound good. ;) Long live the three-pickup monster!!! :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived