Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WTF is with "Strats"?

The strat design is perhaps the most "emulated" guitar design out there. Some of the top makers have versions that in many people's opinions, eclipse the ones Fender makes... notably Suhr, Anderson, and others. There are also a huge number of low end "strat-like" guitars out there. But the basic design and setup is pretty much the same. I think the success in the market proves the strat has a pretty large audience of happy users. I love my two Fender strats, an American Deluxe Fat strat, (the new neck just feels so RIGHT in my hands), and a Jimmy Vaughn signature, (for a "vintage" strat sound and feel). But I also love all my other guitars... I don't think you have to choose one over the other... Wouldn't have it any other way. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ironically tonight I found myself trying to talk a friend out of a $10,000 50's strat. Not worth it to me, even if I had enormous headroom in my banking account. Just occured to me, another friend just bought a $5,000 strat a few weeks ago. Is this some sort of bio-war disease Hussein is spreading? I'd rather have two of what I've got now (Suhr standard), thanks...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Cuz I likes 'em. It's versatile, I can get useful rock, blues, jazz and country tones out of one guitar. Playing a Strat or Tele clean through a Twin or similar amp really separates the guitar men from the boys (and girls from women). No distortion to hide behind, every note heard loud and clear as well as every mistake. Super low and easy action may be easier but usually means less tone, volume and sustain as well. I've never played an Ibanez or other Floyd Rose strat-alike that had any real meat to the tone clean, period. I've owned an Ibanez once but sold it and now have two Strats. I've worked in three music stores and played almost every guitar out there and the old Strat is still my guitar of choice. Since I can't asfford a collection if I can only have one guitar the Strat it is. Of course you have to play 10-20 of them to find one you like.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I think that strats AND les pauls are both kind of sucky/hard to get a REALLY good tone out of. Give me a tele, or 355, be-atch.[/b][/quote]Well, to each thier own. Yet..I'm not a flamer but man...don't blame the hammer when you miss the nail.

[quote]Originally posted by Yuri T.: [b]..I'm not a flamer but man...don't blame the hammer when you miss the nail.[/b][/quote]"I've never played an Ibanez or other Floyd Rose strat-alike that had any real meat to the tone clean, period."

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I hope everybody realizes that the thread was a little tongue in cheek; I'm not trying to totally diss someone's "baby." If you spend a lot of time playing around town though, you can get burnt out on strat guys, especially the dudes that dress up like Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I hope everybody realizes that the thread was a little tongue in cheek; I'm not trying to totally diss someone's "baby." If you spend a lot of time playing around town though, you can get burnt out on strat guys, especially the dudes that dress up like Stevie Ray Vaughn.[/b][/quote]Hmmmmm, I wear a wide brimmed hat, and play a Strat. No cowboy boots, though. Besides, I look better in my hat than SRV did.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]I'm onto you Alner, upping your post count with those little drinking guys. Oh well let me be the first to pre-gratulate you on Platinum status. All Hail The Great and Powerful Alner![/b][/quote]Thanks man, happy new year ...¡¡¡¡ :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Yuri T.: [b]..I'm not a flamer but man...don't blame the hammer when you miss the nail.[/b][/quote]"I've never played an Ibanez or other Floyd Rose strat-alike that had any real meat to the tone clean, period."[/b][/quote]Hmm...I'm guess you're trying to imply something? ;) I believe there's something about the Rose trem and particularly Ibanez guitars that diminishes low end resonance. I've used both myself and there are some tones the Ibanez type is great for. Overall though, to me a Strat has a larger (fatter? whatever you want to call it) tone. It's fact that all trem systems kill some sustain/tone. A hard tail strat, like a Telecaster, will inherently have more sustain since mechanical energy is not lost in the springs. Either way compare an Ibanez to a Strat with the same pickups for yourself and you'll likely hear/feel what I was trying to explain. It's just an opinion and YMMV.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I hope everybody realizes that the thread was a little tongue in cheek; I'm not trying to totally diss someone's "baby." If you spend a lot of time playing around town though, you can get burnt out on strat guys, especially the dudes that dress up like Stevie Ray Vaughn.[/b][/quote]So maybe your thread should have been called, "WTF is with guys who dress up like Stevie Ray Vaughn and play Strats?" You would have gotten alot less flames. :wave:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived