Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WTF is with "Strats"?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Why do people buy them?[/b][/quote][img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vNnO9WPm8KYC:www.art-rage.com/artists/images/hendrix.jpg[/img] [img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ic3kCZI-HMwC:www.fender.ru/stratocaster/im/clapton.jpg[/img] [img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:aFK_LE6fi-EC:www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/v/Vaughn_Stevie_Ray/sq-scrunchfaceguitar-rmr.jpg[/img] Blame these guys. A silly question gets a silly answer

I have a love/hate relationship with Strat's. My main axes are an LP and Tele, but I recently picked up a Reverend Strat that I've been diggin' too. Before the Reverend I had owned several American and Japanese Strat's over the years, all of which I've sold. The stock pickups in most strats are very unpleasing to listen to, IMO. Way too shimmery with not enough substance behind it. But if you play a lot like I do someone is eventually going to ask for a Strat sound and it can't hurt to have one on hand. Of course you can get that sound on other guitars, but some like to have the real deal. What don't you like about them?

Cause they're fucking [i]Strats[/i], you nimrod! Hay, wait, that could possibly have been a hurtful and mean thing to say. I take it back. What I meant to say was... Cause they're fucking [i]Strats[/i], you nimrod! Ooops, I said it again. Okay, I'll answer seriously, as a professional guitar picker who's owned one or two (or five) of them. - They have a distinctuve tone. - They've been used by some of the coolest mofos ever. - They look pretty good as far as guitars go. - They're light and don't hurt your back when you're slinging them around a stage for a few hours. - They're fucking [i]Strats[/i], you nimrod! Oh, damn, my online Turrets Syndrome is acting up. I'll post later when I've found my meds. :eek: :D - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]Khan plays a Strat because it would sound stupid to play Pink Floyd covers with a Les Paul. I used to own a Strat. Then I quit my PF cover band and didn't need it any more. :p [/b][/quote]Still bitter over that whole [i]'swimming in my wake' [/i] thing eh? OK bunny boy. La Villa Strangiato at 20 paces. :eek: :p Ready. FIRE!!!! :D
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]Still bitter over that whole [i]'swimming in my wake' [/i] thing eh?[/b][/quote]You have no idea. I had to switch therapists over that one. My old shrink went insane trying to help me get past the whole [i]'Khan's wake'[/i] thing. And the new one isn't helping much. He keeps saying, "But, Bunny, you DO realize that Khan is the personification of God, don't you?" I don't think I'm making much progress. :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]You have no idea. I had to switch therapists over that one. My old shrink went insane trying to help me get past the whole [i]'Khan's wake'[/i] thing. And the new one isn't helping much. He keeps saying, "But, Bunny, you DO realize that Khan is the personification of God, don't you?" I don't think I'm making much progress. :freak: [/b][/quote]Keep working on it. :thu: Your struggles are very entertaining. ;)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I've owned uh...four or five of them. I think. I own two of them now...oh wait, I gave one to my daughter. Or she sweet talked it out of me. But I've owned a couple of Les Pauls, too. I'm not swimming in anyone's wake. They're all so far ahead their wake has long dissipated by the time I got in the water.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I used to be a Ibanez/Gibson guy.Well I had lots of Ibanezs and one Les Paul.I eventually sold them all off and now play a Tele and a STRAT.They do the job.Nuff said. :D
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

[quote]Originally posted by Roto: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Why do people buy them?[/b][/quote][img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vNnO9WPm8KYC:www.art-rage.com/artists/images/hendrix.jpg[/img] [img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ic3kCZI-HMwC:www.fender.ru/stratocaster/im/clapton.jpg[/img] [img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:aFK_LE6fi-EC:www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/v/Vaughn_Stevie_Ray/sq-scrunchfaceguitar-rmr.jpg[/img] Blame these guys. A silly question gets a silly answer[/b][/quote]Yeah, but Hendrix's best sounding stuff was recorded w/ an Telecaster, SG, Flying V, or Les Paul. Clapton was better w/ the Paul, then the SG. Stevie....well, he's an exception. I host an open jam on the weekends. I'm tired of these damn strat players, with their "plink plink plink" tone, their buzzing pickups, and their inability to stay in tune. Sure some strat players have it together, but the majority are "on the edgge....of wuss-cliff."

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote] Yeah, but Hendrix's best sounding stuff was recorded w/ an Telecaster, SG, Flying V, or Les Paul. Clapton was better w/ the Paul, then the SG. Stevie....well, he's an exception. I host an open jam on the weekends. I'm tired of these damn strat players, with their "plink plink plink" tone, their buzzing pickups, and their inability to stay in tune. Sure some strat players have it together, but the majority are "on the edgge....of wuss-cliff." [/quote]Well, I don't really think your opinion does anything for the people who like Strats,no offense. So, what about Ibanez, or any other guitar out there. I'm sure they each have a flaw somehow.Maybe more than one. They hum happenes to be the Strats. But now there are things to control that. What would happen if all the Strat players switched to say B.C Rich. How would your opinion change? Would you think the world is better off without Strats and with B.C. Rich?

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]I used to own a Strat. Then I quit my PF cover band and didn't need it any more. :p [/b][/quote]You used to play in a PF cover band too? That makes 3 of us, who else here.....? Fender has lost their mind making 3,067 models of a "Strat". They're devaluing the moniker and making it hard to sell their product when they have almost as many models as there are dollars from $100 to $1,000. Soon they'll start a line based on colors: "announcing the NEW "red Strat"..." "announcing the NEW "red single HUmbucker Strat" "announcing the NEW "red single Humbucker Red Strat Standard", then they can come out with the "NEW Blue Strat Heritage Custom Squier Standard Texas Stagemaster"... and on and on. Meanwhile, a person walks in a music store thinking he wants "a Stratocaster". Maybe he thinks "I might have to spend more than I want, but it will be worth it to have a STRAT". He arrives at the store only to find that he can get a $150 Strat, a $200 Strat, a $289 Strat, another model that is about $320, another one that is $450... Oh, but he thinks "I must want the Standard Stratocaster, that must be the "real" one". Then he finds out it is made in Mexico and starts thinking "huh, I thought Fender was an "American" brand? What IS a "real Strat"?". Then he starts thinking "maybe I don't really want a Strat" and leaves. Thank you, thank you, I'm here at the Bongo Club all week... (if anybody wants to hire a Real World Consultant I'm available, seems like some companies need one...)

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Chip- And don't forget the Strat Clone market! the Fender Stratocaster Platform is almost as hilarious as the 8086 microprocessor business. I fully agree with the whole {$150, $200, $340, ....} strat thing. And maybe i'm a moron, but when i pick up a Fender Super-Starfire-Stagemaster500-Pro-Turbo-TorqueFlite-XLT Stratocaster With 3 four-barrels, overhead cams, dual exhaust and gold-plated tippy sidebars valued at some exhorbitant amount.... it doesn't give me any more of a warm and fuzzy feeling in my gonads than my completely valueless, structurally languished and otherwise downtrodden Korean Squire Strat Of 12 years does. But there are sometimes where i hear stuff in my head, and a strat's clarity will only do.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Beotch: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Why do people buy them?[/b][/quote]Because guitarists are stuck in a time warp and are too blind to see that there are much-improved modern guitars available now. Ditto for LPs.[/b][/quote]That's funny! I find it so boring playing PRS's or something really well made. I'd rather have to squeeze it out of a piece of junk, it's more rewarding. Hay i had one once. Kept hitting the damn switch out of position with my frikkin hand! drove me nuts! Now i love them. It's an exciting guitar. You can get the shitty pick ups in them re-wound with better wire and hotter output to thicken them up a bit, the thing, is the hunk of wood. You just pick 20 up and look for the one that zings. The fretts sorta suck alot on the cheap ones too but, who cares if it sounds good.

Strat necks(And Teles) Just fit my hands. The way the neck responds and plays has character and personality that other guitars don't have. They really let the "touch" of my playing come through. The tone of single coils cuts through the mix and doesn't sound buzzy like humbuckers, and really sounds like a guitar. Humbuckers sound too processed to me sometimes. You can't hear the string noises as well. Strats and Teles rule for clean and slightly overdriven sounds. And, that's NOT buzzing you hear. It's purring. Get it right. A properly set up Strat(string tension, bridge balance, # of trem springs, nut and saddle maintainance) won't go out of tune if the tremelo is not abused. If you want to dive bomb all the time, get an Ibanez, you probably don't play guitar very well anyhow if you have to resort to tricks like that. Trems are designed to add subtle vibrato, not the sound of airplanes crashing. If you don't use a trem, get a hard tail or block off the trem, and it won't accidentlt go out. Yeah, Fender is the only guitar manufacturer that makes a billion different models to appeal to all styles of players(And incomes). PRS and Gibson only have one or two models. :rolleyes: I play a Strat because Jimi Played one. :rolleyes: I play a Strat because SRV played one. :rolleyes: I play a Strat because Clapton plays one. :rolleyes:
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived