Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha PLG150-AP Gig Review

Jazz+

I now realize a big part of the problem was that I was using the PLG-150AP in Multi Mode with a bass split, which is how I intended to use it. Bad_Mister gave me good advice: INITIALIZE the Multi Split and then reprogram it from scratch. That normalized the hot velocity response and the harshness and has made it very close to the quality in Voice mode, I can only notice a slight difference with good headphones.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jazz+:

I now realize a big part of the problem was that I was using the PLG-150AP in Multi Mode with a bass split, which is how I intended to use it. The quality of the PLG-150AP piano is degraded in Multi mode: it sounds thin and the velocity response is hotter.

You should probably check to make sure that your insert effects are set up properly in multi-mode.

Kiru

My other synth forum is Harmony Central .

hey BOPBEEPER

Yeah, my manicured 9-band :D keyboard sounds different because it no longer slows me down. An all white keyboard would take some adjusting to, but hey if that's your fantasy go for it!

So you play an S90 now, with the expansion board that is the subject of this thread? tell me, do you feel you're in better company? I feel I'm on the endangered species list!

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

My point was realy that all keys are the same colour in ther dark and there have been some wonderfull blind pianists!

Jazz- in the performance mode(or multi) you can adjust velocity offset and depth.Enter edit mode for the different parts and its under'OTHER'Also try different combinations of velocity settings on the PLG and the master keyboard.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

My point was realy that all keys are the same colour in ther dark and there have been some wonderfull blind pianists!

Jazz- in the performance mode(or multi) you can adjust velocity offset and depth.Enter edit mode for the different parts and its under'OTHER'Also try different combinations of velocity settings on the PLG and the master keyboard.

I want to do is use 2 Parts for a simple Bass/Piano SPLIT with the PLG-150AP CF3 Grand Piano, not share bandwidth with 15 other instruments. I am not using the Bass/Piano Split for recording. I am using it for solo performance and it sounds degraded compared to the PLG-150AP CF3 in Voice Mode. Side by side, Voice Mode vs. Multi, exactly the same volume, with Effects and Inserts Off, Velocity levels matched, it sounds different: Thinner and wimpier in Split mode, it sounds better in Voice mode .

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Here is a thought. The Piano/Bass Split in the Multi "Library", which is supposed to be sort of an ideal set up, sounds pretty bad, the piano sounds small and tinny compared to its Voice mode version. It seems that even Yamaha could not program a good Bass/Piano Split.

I have the board loaded in an S90 and in performance mode the AP sounds the same as in voice mode.You probably need to ask for help over at Motifator site rather than here and hope Bad Mister answers your query.There is probably some anoyingly simple explanation.

I INITIALIZED the Multi and made up the Piano/Bass split again and the velocity is normal now even though the velocity parameter settings appear to be the same. I think I inherited some problems from the MULTI LIBRARY "Piano/Bass Split" I had been editing. After INTIALIZING the Multi and making the Split all over again the PLG-150AP CF3 sounds much closer to the Voice mode version of the PLG-AP Piano. I think the difference is now slight and the final hurdle is making sure the Inserts for PART 01 and PART P1 are set to recall their Insertion Effects.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I think I inherited some problems from the MULTI LIBRARY "Piano/Bass Split" I had been editing. After INTIALIZING the Multi and making the Split all over again the PLG-150AP CF3 sounds much closer to the Voice mode version of the PLG-AP Piano.

Heh, yeah, that's always the problem with not starting from scratch, you don't know how some parameter buried somewhere might trip you up. I have that problem with the FS1R sometimes, though that instrument's just whack to begin with. :)

Kiru

My other synth forum is Harmony Central .

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

Good for you, Jazz+!

No kidding. The whole initializing thing read like rocket science to me.

PS. that signature line of yours is catchy. However, we all know 2 things: Orangefunk is not a shiteating pile of crap, and GB is not likely to clean up his act. So I'm requesting that you drop it. ;)

or should I say, GB is not likely to have a lobotomy anytime soon. :D What you might consider doing, is changing the names to protect the identities. ? Maybe I'm just too sensitive. Nevermind.

Available for the first time to KC members, now taking preorders for musical note shortbread cookies, painstakingly detailed and lovingly decorated with red and green cherri...OOPS WRONG THREAD. Sorry.

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a Motif ES Rack and was thinking of installing the 150AP in it....but only if it is worth the money....I have read through several posts and it seems that those using it didn't like it at first....then started to like it the more they used it. Understanding that the piano sound is very subjective...I'm just curious how it shakes out now that a few years have passed.

Please share your thoughts....

I have the MOtif ES Rack and the PLG150AP and while it sounds OK when I record the rack directly, I am not at all impressed with the CF3 for live playing. I usually wind up using the piano sounds on my RD300SX which is used as the controller on live gigs and using the Motif ES for the Rhodes and other sounds. I basically think that the 150AP was a waste of money, but I bought it without trying it so I just chalk it up to experience.

Originally posted by Bobsk8:

I have the MOtif ES Rack and the PLG150AP and while it sounds OK when I record the rack directly, I am not at all impressed with the CF3 for live playing. I usually wind up using the piano sounds on my RD300SX which is used as the controller on live gigs and using the Motif ES for the Rhodes and other sounds. I basically think that the 150AP was a waste of money, but I bought it without trying it so I just chalk it up to experience.

That was my experience too.

Archived