Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT lower back pain and moving equipment

Dave Horne

I'm 54 and several times a year or so I experience debilitating lower back pain. I've been working out with one of those home fitness devices, the kind with weights and pulleys, for about three months and I have not had any lower back pain since I started working out.

I'm not a fanatic about this, I just spend about 15 - 20 minutes every morning on the machine. Basically I do abdominal crunches (100 reps), arm and shoulder exercises and I also work out my legs to keep my knees in shape. I know if your abs are in good shape they take the load off your back.

Since so many of us move our own equipment, I was wondering how many of you work out to prevent the inevitable lower back pain.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 57 and work out for about 20 minutes every day. Traditional push-ups plus light weights plus running. This isn't just so I can move my equipment...it's so I can live my life the way I want. I'm single and when women give me looks it's a pretty good incentive...

48, workout in a gym twice a week.

But the most important thing IMHO is good posture when playing - it's easy to slouch so I have to make a concerted effort to sit perfectly straight when playing. During breaks I try to step outside and do some stretches also. I'll be in real pain later if I forget my stage posture.

One final note: I had to give up 88 note weighted action keyboards on stage. I pulled a back muscle loading my Kurzweil PC88 in it's flight case into a gig - that was a clue. Didn't want to do it at first but I went to a much lighter 76-note non-weighted action keyboard. It took me about two months to get comfortable with it but it's worked out very well... I've been using the 76-note for 2 1/2 years now and haven't pulled a back muscle since.

Man, I'm still a spring chicken at 34, moving Leslies and a MP9000... but I'm feeling pretty vulnerable and want to be in good shape when I'm in my 50's.

I have one leg shorter than the other due to an accident, but apparently small discrepancies are pretty normal- using the right lift in my shoe helps a LOT, and some yoga (not enough) is essential for me as well.

That, and ALWAYS regard every time you move something, even something not that heavy, as an opportunity to get hurt! Just being careful and conscious goes a long way.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I have to do exercises every day for my back, after I had a lower back pain attack about 7 years ago that laid me up for a week. Couldn't even stand up. That scared me into action. 45 minutes a day of stretching, crunches, etc. I use a routine that was given to me by my chiropractor. Seems to work, I have only suffered minor back pain attacks since then, and I hardly ever get back pain during gigs, which I used to, even when I was younger.

I also got into walking and running regularly.

My chiropractor advised me that building stomach and back muscle strength was the main way to avoid lower back pain, and based on the results of these exercises, I'd have to say he's right.

In addition, I now use the lightest gear possible.

INteresting post! I got terrible back pains a couple of days after running for a train with a nord electro strapped to my back. I guess it pounded my lower spine to jelly. didn't notice at the time though. That was 6 months ago and it kept me off work for a week. I'm still feeling stiff and creaky especially in the mornings - just like my vertebrae need oiling!

now i work out my stomach and back muscles and try to do a few sessions every week on one of those inflatable balance balls which is supposed to be very good for building up the spinal stabilization muscles. Strething out those tight leg muscles too. Hopefully that'll sort it out for good in a few months time.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

My doc's got me doing no lifting due to a bulged disk. So far the guys in my band have been good about covering me. My QS-8.1's my heaviest piece, unless I start gigging with my D-152: that's 550 lbs!

If we were to ever start serious gigging, I'd toss some $$ their way. For now, we're just basement heroes, so no big deal, I guess.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I work out less than I should, so I know it really helps when I do it and really hurts when I get lazy.

(I am 52)

The thing I worry about most is not my back but my hands. The handles on my VK8 case particularly are too small. Has anyone got a solution for improving handles on gear?

Hey DH, you're right about abs - keep them in shape and that really chases away back strains. I'm a bicycling [roads] fanatic and ride all the time weather permitting. I love the distance rides - rode in Lance Armstrong's ride for the roses last month - and Cheryl Crow did a pretty good job acapella with the Star Spangled Banner - but I walk when I can't ride. I do a couple of light weight workouts and one heavy each week - emphasis on legs. Close out each session with crunches. Moving gear can be an extra workout, too. I'm 61, and I'm going down fighting!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Originally posted by daviel:

Hey DH, you're right about abs - keep them in shape and that really chases away back strains. I'm a bicycling [roads] fanatic and ride all the time weather permitting. I love the distance rides - rode in Lance Armstrong's ride for the roses last month - and Cheryl Crow did a pretty good job acapella with the Star Spangled Banner - but I walk when I can't ride. I do a couple of light weight workouts and one heavy each week - emphasis on legs. Close out each session with crunches. Moving gear can be an extra workout, too. I'm 61, and I'm going down fighting!

I'm 52 and have had more fun with back pain than I deserve. So having now learned how to manage it (thank you, physical therapists), I maintain a regimen similar to yours. I'm a serious roadie, but didn't recover from back pain earlier this year in time to get back in shape (100+ miles per week) or I would have gone to Austin!

Anyway - I invite you all to consider using an orthopaedically approved cushion to support the lumbar region when seated at your desk, in a car, wherever. This has helped me tremendously. Since I use a bench, not a chair, when playing, the cushion obviously is of no use, so I keep my abs mildly contracted for added support. No pain since!

• 2 weeks later...

Working out can definitely improve ailments. If you have aches and pains, try living a healthier lifestyle. Eat well, get enough sleep and most importantly, reduce your stress and try to find happiness. Mental health is really important.

I think this would be an appropriate place to mention this: Even if you don't have any pains, get yourself a HAND TRUCK. And a ROADIE. Chances are you'll develop fewer pains.

OLD SYNTHESIZER COLLECTOR & USER

Especially into modular & analog synths, esoteric & broken stuff. Always looking for more synths!

oldsynthguy@aol.com

Originally posted by 88keys4me:

Anyway - I invite you all to consider using an orthopaedically approved cushion to support the lumbar region when seated at your desk, in a car, wherever. This has helped me tremendously. Since I use a bench, not a chair, when playing, the cushion obviously is of no use, so I keep my abs mildly contracted for added support. No pain since!

Man, I got to get one! My truck seat seems designed to kill my back... it enforces bad posture. This could really help, I'm hoping...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

The best thing one could do to one's body is a mild workout (20...60 minutes) repeated often (3...6 times a week) that exercises the entire body (arms, legs, core) and comprises several different types of exercise (slow but under heavy load, fast but not loaded, simple stretching). Add to that a bit of jogging (best done before the other exercises) and your body will thank you.

Myself, i exercise 3 times a week, about 90 minutes each. I essentially start with a brief and mild jogging, then i go through the warm-up routine that i used to do when i was practicing martial arts (stretching, applied to pretty much all joints and muscles). Then i do weight lifting, exercising almost all muscles.

As long as i exercise, i feel good. When i stop doing it, all kinds of issues arise (painful joints, etc.).

Exercise is good. Intensity is not important, variety is.

Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

I used to work out quite regularly. Nothing too intense, just 30 minutes on a cross-trainer, and a quick run through the weight machines at the Y. I let my Y membership go when I was out of work a year and a half ago, to save money. To this day I have not been able to re-establish the routine yet.

Gotta do that soon. Especially since the weight is starting to pile on. :eek:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

This reminds me, when I was about 12 I was staying at my grandmother's and I was by myself at this moment. For some reason I had this really bad lower back pain - I couldn't sit comfortably or even lay down, I could pretty much only stand, and even when walking it hurt. I still to this day have no idea what would've caused it. Believe it or not at that age I was too anxious to go to the nearby arcade so I hopped a wooden fence - brilliant idea. Anyway, I did make it to the arcade, but hell if I sat down on the motorcycle arcade seat!

It did subside that day after something I'm not going to get into detail to (would derail the thread but let's say it was a Native American thing)... I still wonder what caused such a sudden "attack", esp. at that age.

One other thought on this:

I have some freinds who play as a band for functions/parties and they are all in their 50's. They hire a trustworthy high school student to be the roadie. The PA, lights, drums and amps are kept in a truck in a storage area and the roadie retrieves the truck and drives it to the gig and then does the entire setup by himself. When the gig is over the roadie does the entire breakdown and returns the truck to storage. The band does no physical lifting or setup at all - they show up and play and leave when it's over. As a sit-in keyboardist I have shown up and directed the roadie as he unloaded and setup my gear for me... might as well since everyone contributes to the roadie's pay, even temps like me. I think everyone pays $10/gig and it's a seven-piece band. This works very well and it gives the student some extra income for about 4 hours or less of work per night. Food for thought.

Archived