Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG TRITON EXTREME 88 KEY, OR ROLAND FANTOM X8

jcmedo80

Hi,

last night i went back to the store and played the x8 and the extreme 88 key, but this time i took my girlfriend who is a jazz pianist who has been playing for 12 years... she had a go on the extreme then went to the x8, to her the x8's a winner..

but i still like the rhythms on the extreme, but i do think it is a little out-dated by the fantom at the moment, so i think i will buy the x8 now with 2 or 3 expansion cards, and then later on when Korg brings out a newer better synth than the extreme, i will buy that one too. because in the end, you can never do with just one synth.. so i think i may go for the x8 (not 100% sure, but i think i will).

Does anyone have any recommendations on what expansions cards are the "best"? i want to make alot of dance music, etc. i want something with alot of cool bass sounds...???

Thanks

James - Sydney, Australia

Equipment: Roland Fantom X8 with expansions Platinum Traxx, Supreme Dance, Orchestra, and Ultimate Keys. Behringer 2031B monitors, Apex AX48B (silver) stand

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in regards to eric,

i will try and locate a motif es8 and play it on sunday..

Equipment: Roland Fantom X8 with expansions Platinum Traxx, Supreme Dance, Orchestra, and Ultimate Keys. Behringer 2031B monitors, Apex AX48B (silver) stand

I still have not decided 100% on what i will do, but any more info (and I know i have received alot) would be greatly appreciated, i am looking for individual views now...

thanks heaps!

hey does anyone have any suggestions for the fantom expansion cards??? i need to buy two?? i want alot of dance sounds, good bass sounds, synths etc... piano too would be good :rolleyes:

Before you dismiss the Yamaha for the Roland or the Korg, let me state one fact that I don't think anyone has brought up yet. MLAN. Mlan is amazing. 16 channels of pure digital data into your computer and 8 out of your computer into your Motif ES. It works great, and you can't beat 24/96. Just wanted to add my $.02.

I have decided what I am going to buy.

1) The Roland Fantom X8

2) expansion card "supreme dance"

3) expansion card "platinum trax"

4) expansion card "ultimate keys"

5) expansion card "Symphonique Strings"

6) Gator case (i was wanting the SKB 5820W but apparently the X8 does not fit in it properly??)

All of the above I am buying for AUD$4800 which is australian dollars which is approx US$3800.

I think that is a pretty good price in total for what i'll be getting. I'll be buying it in Hong Kong next week. Everything is just so much cheaper there.

So what do you guys think of my choice??

Thanks, :thu:

i tried to locate the Motif ES8, but there is nothing within 2 hours drive from sydney, as there are only two yamaha dealers here and they dont have it.. so i really dont know how it sounds..

but i can always buy the rack version cant i??

yeah they do have one at Tom Lee, i will be buying it there.. much cheaper than australia.

When it all comes down to it, in the end later down the track, i will have a full studio set up which will probably include the motif and triton .. but i wont buy them until later models come out

Hey everyone,

I have ordered my soon to be new Fantom X8. I will be flying out to Hong Kong on Thursday next week to pick it up, so if all goes well I will have it on Friday.. I am looking forward to it.

Of course I will test everything out on it before i purchase it at the shop, but does anyone have any advice what i should watch out for? or what I should test etc??

If you have any advice please let me know as i like to hear advice..

Thanks,

James :wave:

I think you post on Fantomized. If you have studied the many posts, you know about the slow ( 2 seconds)load time between patches and the occaisional burst of loud static.

If you play live this might be an issue

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Personally I think the Fantom X is a fantastic choice, and an even better choice is to save up for a Triton - not Le - of some kind to go with it. Or Karma. I've only played demo units but so far they've been very well behaved and loaded patches reasonably fast. I love the flexible, fantastically programmable synth engine, sparkling sound rom, fabulous effects, and the expansion boards are about the best on the market as far as sound quality.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

SIR BASIL- Personally I think the Fantom X is a fantastic choice, and an even better choice is to save up for a Triton - not Le - of some kind to go with it. Or Karma. I've only played demo units but so far they've been very well behaved and loaded patches reasonably fast. I love the flexible, fantastically programmable synth engine, sparkling sound rom, fabulous effects, and the expansion boards are about the best on the market as far as sound quality.
Yeah I am quite looking forward to my purchase next week. My next buy over the next 6 months will definetely be a Triton, most probably the Extreme or maybe a studio. But when the time comes, I may even buy it on Ebay as it will be much more cheaper.. Even though I am the type of person who only wants to have 'new' stuff, for the Triton i only really care about is the sounds not the look, as long as it all works properly and i am buying it at a very good price, then i think i'll be happy with that. but most probably i will buy the 76 key version. Or you never know, by then Korg might have a new one that is better than the extreme, so i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.. :wave:

James, let me tell you my story...I owned a lot of Yamaha keyboards in the past... motif (classical), an1x, etc. and then somebody told me to get the triton extreme..so I sold my gear on ebay and made some money for the triton extreme!

I just purchased the much acclaimed Triton Extreme, and to my horror found a lot of the sounds to be plastic, software like! The triton filters absolutely suck...they are too polite and don't have the aggressiveness that Yamaha filters had. The sound quality of a lot of acoustic instruments are horrible..piano, drums, guitars all suck. Only the organs are good.

In contrast, when I listened to the Motif ES I was blown away by the sound quality, and the Motif ES even has option for a FM synthesis board, voice harmony board (Triton extreme doesn't have a harmonizer).

And who said that the Triton is better for dance sounds? Its a joke. Which such cheesy filters and a sequencer which cannot go over 240bpm (motif es can go uptil 300 bpm)...

The touchscreen is the only thing that I like, though I still prefer the solid physical rows of multi-purpose buttons yamaha Motif ES has on the right for muting, soloing, tracks. etc.

Next, the fantom-X was even worse than the Triton Extreme...majority of the sounds are like jar farts, and the piano is not as great , though better than triton.

Now, I promise to God that I am not working for Yamaha. I don't give a damn about the company, though the products they make are of high quality..

I finally gave the triton extreme back to the guitar center and purchased the Motif ES and expanded it, and I am happier than ever...

why don't you korg-roland heads give yamaha a thought? its filters are almost virus-like...very neat...and the entire sound palette is stunning!

Next, the fantom-X was even worse than the Triton Extreme...majority of the sounds are like jar farts, and the piano is not as great , though better than triton.

WHAT !!!!!

you gotta be kidding me ?

i have ordered a MOTIF ES7 for next week delivery to my home, i also own the ROLAND FANTOM X8, and the PIANO is the best PIANO sound ever !! KORG TRITON EXTREME is just utter garbage, the only thing decent it has are the pads on it, the pianos suck, crap organs..

take the effects off and the sounds are "weak"

i do agree though the MOTIF ES wipes the floor with the TRITON EXTREME, i just think that FANTOM has some superb sounds, and so does the MOTIF ES, i have both! why should i worry ?

the only thing i own by KORG now is the TR Rack, and i will NEVER sell that, i love it!

KORG has gone down hill, ok yes they are used in studios, but so what, LIVE use is what i need 2 decent boards for... not boppy dance grooves and sounds :wave:

all the best

Wayne Harris

England

Roland Fantom X8 (SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, SRX-12) - Yamaha Motif ES7 - Kawai MP11 - Hammond XK-1C - Korg TR Rack - Korg SG Rack - Quiklok Z72 - Quiklok SL930 - Electrovoice SXA360's

gosh, if this was ' true' for everyone, no one would buy the Extreme and everyone would play the ES.

Keith Emerson uses the Extreme on his latest tour.

As many of us know, the Extreme, Triton lineup sells just as well as the Motif lineup.

But if you think trashing the Extreme validates your purchase, that's your business. It makes no difference to anyone else.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I have the Triton Rack, and I bought the piano expansion that I believe is included with the extreme as well as the Studio series. It's a great piano. I've used it on recordings and has played it live on several concerts. It sounded better than the Roland RD700 piano.

I also have a Proteus 2000 that so many people were raving about, including most of the mags reviewing it, and the sounds suck. For the most part useless. Well, actually, it sucked, not anymore. I bought the vintage rom and now it's way cool. But anyway, the point is, it's good that you ask opinions and help, but be very careful in getting caught up in those opinions. There's a reason there are so many different manufacturers with different approaches to sound. I mean, it's like saying the color Blue is killer, Red is total crap. But what do you think I should wear?

Or like those lifestyle shows my wife loves, where they redecorate your house, new furniture, new paint. Some of those look absolutely horrible, and you could tell with the reaction of the "surprised" owner that they ain't too happy either. And these were done by professional designers.

I checked out the MotifES and wasn't blown away or anything. I was impressed enough that I will take a long look at it again when I buy another keyboard, but it wasn't the Korg & Roland killer it's made out to be. Anyway, just some of my thoughts.

Raul

Hey people!

Well, I have just returned from Hong Kong with a brand new Roland Fantom X8, plus dance extreme card, platinum card, orchestra card, and plus the ultimate keys card.

I have spent the last few days playing in the hotel and I have to say that I am fully in love with it. I am very happy with it and I think it is awesome, it will keep me busy for a long time.

I made sure that it was the latest version O/S and it has NO BUGS, this you can check out with Roland, all you do is call them and quote them the serial number and they will tell you if it has the bug or not, mine only came from the factory 1 week ago, so mine is 100% fine.

Thanks for all your help and advice it was greatly appreciated..

Archived