Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG TRITON EXTREME 88 KEY, OR ROLAND FANTOM X8

jcmedo80

KORG TRITON EXTREME 88 KEY, OR ROLAND FANTOM X8?

Hi everyone!

I have finally found the two choices for me. Either the Korg Triton Extreme 88 keys, or the Fantom X8.

Yesterday I spent the whole day playing them, I loved the sounds on the Korg, and how easy it was the make alot of dance music, i like that it has the preset songs/rhythms or however you call it (im still new to the terms), and how it seemed easier to use than the roland.

But the roland was good too, I liked the sounds that it has, the piano, and also alot of the old synth sounds that have come from alot of the older models from roland, i didnt like that it did not have any preset songs/rhythms like the korg did, but i did like the sounds roland has.

it seemed a little more technical in order to get around the functions, and i did like that it looks heaps better than the korg..

but all in all I am still not 100% which one I want to buy.

I want to make music, backings, songs etc as easy as I can and I want to be able to record onto cd. I want to have all the best sounds and stuff.

Can anyone help me as i need to make my decision ASAP! I am going back on Sunday again to the music shop to play them again, but I am still not 100% which one I want.

James - Sydney, Australia

Equipment: Roland Fantom X8 with expansions Platinum Traxx, Supreme Dance, Orchestra, and Ultimate Keys. Behringer 2031B monitors, Apex AX48B (silver) stand

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I will check it out in the search, but i still need any more info from people. I have considered either the triton extreme keyboard and the Fantom rack, and vice-versa, but which would be a better option?? buy the Korg synth, then a fantom rack, or buy the fantom synth and then the triton rack??

IM SO CONFUSED!!! AND I NEED TO DECIDE ASAP!! :(

Equipment: Roland Fantom X8 with expansions Platinum Traxx, Supreme Dance, Orchestra, and Ultimate Keys. Behringer 2031B monitors, Apex AX48B (silver) stand

Can someone please help me out with this one, it is very important!!! ?

as much as I like Korg, I do not consider the Triton Rack a wise move. While the price has dropped some, I don't believe it's a compelling buy , especially in comparison to the Extreme. The Extreme has tons of sounds from the EXB's. With the Triton Rack, you would possibly purchase several of the EXB's. The EXB's have finally come down in price , $99 per EXB.

I think the Extreme/XR decision is more manageable, current and less cost.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Have you considered the Yamaha Motif ES8? I like that one better than the Korg and the Roland. Like another poster suggested, the search engine will give you a wealth of duplicative info on all the details of these major players in the pro keyboard world.

If you have ruled out the Motif ES, I would choose the Roland due largely to its highly superior keyboard action. The Triton Extreme 88 has a fairly light action and it does not feel as robust and piano-like as the Fantom's keyboard. Get the Fantom and then add a Triton rack, if you really think you need both sound engines. If it were me, I would choose one for starters and get as much out of that as possible. Then decide if you really need another rompler or would you be better served with more diversity, such as adding a Hammond clone or a virtual analog synth.

Regards,

Eric

One quick question.

What do you think about the combination of Triton Extreme keyboard PLUS the Fantom XR rack??

Or any other suggestions??

without digging deeper, i'd like to add my 2 cents about their keybeds:

i prefer extreme weighted over fantom.

extreme: weighted, but not too heavy/inert, not like P250 but more towards Rhodes feel - very good for piano, excellent for EP, can do B3 smears no problem, and CAN do fast lead lines especially in upper register (its graded hammer).

Roland: heavier - no synth solo fireworks, sharp edges of keys - forget B3 stuff runs/smears.

Ideally i'd only take Yamaha over it for acoiustic piano roles, be it classical, jazz or whatever- they are the best.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Hi all,

I am still really unsure which to buy.

Either the Fantom synth, plus the korg triton rack.. or the triton extreme synth plus the fantom rack??

PLEASE ANY IDEAS AS I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME, IM GOING TO HONG KONG IN A WEEK AND I NEED TO PLACE MY ORDER SO I CAN PICK IT UP THERE....

i gave you my call, it's how I spent my hard earned $$

I gave you my reasons against the ' 2nd choice' . I can't tell

if that made sense to you.

Remember you can take 1 step at a time, like buy the Extreme now then the XR rack later.

It's not easy to poll on the Internet, customers or people that are non owners but have opinions. It's ok to look for comments but ultimately you have to make up your own mind

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Yeah I just went and played the fantom again, I love the sounds but i hate navigating the board, there is just "something" i dont like about it. so what I have decided (most probably) I will buy the Triton extreme synth, plus the fantom XR rack. I can get a pretty good price for them in Hong Kong total for australian dollars $4900 includes ATA flight cases for both.

But i was hoping not to spend that much at once, so i might just buy the extreme first and then the fantom xr later on..

Any comments on my decision??

BTW I played the Roland V-drums, they are pretty cool! :D

I have recently purchased a Triton LE with the sampling option. I can say I'm very impressed with the sounds! It compliments my Kurzweil PC2X. Kinda like the old and the new. You mentioned that you want to record and burn to CD's. Have you considered a Triton studio? I use a Korg D1600MKII for my recording. The studio gives you most of this recorder inside it with CD burning. You can do it all with one keyboard to get started then add other sound engines as you see fit. Just a thought. Good luck in your search. Remember.....GAS is fun!!! :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

were you meant to write something else there??

There can be arguments about which is bast, Fantom X, Triton Extreme or Yamaha Motif ES. I don't think there can be much of an argument made on the rack versions. Fantom XR is way ahead of the Triton Rack or Motif Rack.

What you do miss with going with the Fantom XR rather than the Famtom X8 is piano mode. It is VERY cool.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Hi all,

I think I may have decided on what I might buy.. I think I may go for the Triton extreme, but now that I am looking more towards the extreme, I am getting alot of good comments about the fantom, such as piano key, and apparently the sounds are better, and also the skip back function..

THIS IS HELL!?????

Now I still am not 100% sure on what I want, yesterday I played the X7 and it seemed like I needed a university degree to be able to use the computer in it.. and that in itself kind of put me off cause I got lost in the system. But with the extreme i enjoyed using the system, it seemed much more simple..

Does anyone have comments? I could really do with some.. I am still unsure what i want to do about it.

maybe if the price is right I may not but the 88 key, instead i might buy the extreme 76 key, plus the fantom x7??

I dont know, but i could really do with some more help as i only have 3 days left to decide.

Thanks, :cry:

Originally posted by jcmedo80:

But with the extreme i enjoyed using the system, it seemed much more simple..

That may be what helps you decide. I have always felt disconnected with digital keyboard interfaces (Ensoniq, Yamaha, Kurzweil, and Roland). When I started using the Korg D1600mkII recorder things just clicked and now I am having the same experience with the Triton LE. For me, Korg seems to connect with the user better. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

PLEASE HELP ANYONE??? I NEED SOME MORE INFO!!! :confused:

You don't need any more info. You're just being indecisive, afraid of making the wrong choice. But don't worry, either way you'll end up with a great board. It is just about impossible to know which is right for you unless you yourself has operated the board over a long period of time, using it on different situations and projects. Just buy the damn thing and enjoy it. Life is good. :)
Raul

PLEASE HELP ANYONE??? I NEED SOME MORE INFO!!! :confused:

Nobody can spend the money -for- you. If you knew yourself, you'd know if you were persistent enough to master an interface that doesn't appeal to you at first sight or not. If you'd know yourself you'd also know that if the sounds spoiled the joy of easy composing it'd be a let down or a not-so-bad.

Seriously, if it's just about sounds, combine the XR with the Triton. If you feel pushed by tech talk to go for the full Fantom, do that.

What have you used before in your musical career that resembles sampling? Because a good load of people is going to buy that Fantom because it's the newest Roland and still won't ever touch those glowing pads.

How adept are you with designing sounds, and on what boards? Because if you are used to a virtual or real analog the Fantom and the Triton both require a full U-turn in thinking, even though the underlying structure is similar.

If you never have sampled and can't design sounds, by all means, take the combo. If you use sampling regularly (on the hardware variant, that is) take the Fantom X, because you'll get eventually through the interface's apparent quirks.

Everything everyone can say here is "well, in my opinion...". They can't drag you over to the music store to make the order. They can't play for you. They can't sample for you. They can't design the sounds you want to hear, and most importantly, they can't do the composing for you.

So it's YOUR cash, it's YOUR responsibility, and if you decide after 10 days of intensive work with the device that it's simply not fit, you send it back again. It's that simple.

Yeah thanks for all your replies. wont be buying the XR, its either the X8 or the extreme.. I'm going back to the store on sunday to play the extreme but everyday this week ive been playing the x8 at this music store down the road, so hopefully by sunday i will have a fairly good understanding of the fantom, im just going to try making stuff on the x8, and learn as much as i can, then on sunday im going to work out the extreme..

Can anyone please give me your own opinions on which one you would buy if you had the choice of the fantom x8 and the triton extreme 88 key???

I would love to hear your own opinions of which one you would buy,, and please dont say MOTIF! :D

Why have you summarily dismissed the Motif ES8? That would be my first recommendation. If you are dead set on getting one of the others, you need to make the final decision based on how you like the UI and the sounds. We can't spend your money for you! It is totally your call. You have received a lot of good advice and searching the archives should answer just about any other technical question you may have.

Regards,

Eric

I'm going back to the store on sunday to play the extreme but everyday this week ive been playing the x8 at this music store down the road, so hopefully by sunday i will have a fairly good understanding of the fantom, im just going to try making stuff on the x8, and learn as much as i can, then on sunday im going to work out the extreme..

What you describe is exactly the way to decide...by playing with and using them. If you're still not sure, go back and play them again. You'll see from this thread and others you can search that both are good boards. Which one's best for you? None of us can answer that.

After a while, it just becomes hand wringing...

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Actually, on re-reading it, that last comment may have come off more harshly than I intended. What I meant was that there comes a point where you can simply be overanalyzing things. There comes a time when you need to just go with your gut. Which one do you prefer to play and work with? That's the one you should buy.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

you see from what i have experience, i just loved playing the extreme, then i wanted the extreme, but then at the same time there is something that keeps drawing me back to the fantom x8,,.

oh well if worst comes to worst i'll just have to buy both, :idea:

but thanks to you all for your replies, i am greatly appreciated... keep them coming if you have any more.. thanks heaps!

thanks for your replies. i just had my lunch break and went to the store down the road that has the fantom, i am finding that the more i play on it, the more i tend to distance myself from it going more towards the triton extreme, i was a bit let down, everyday i find things i like, but then i find more that i dont like at the same time, so on sunday when i play the extreme, i'll see how i go... but for now its looking a little more towards the extreme.. :rolleyes:

If I may ask, why are you against the Motif ES? :confused: Of these three, the Motif seems like the best choise to me; fantastic piano sounds, great EP:s, great sounds overall; more updated than the Triton and more natural sounding than the Fantom. I would not have to ponder for a long time if I were in your shoes, I´d just get the Motif and be happy.

:cool:

Archived