Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Rhodes are in my Electro 2?

Jazz+

I just got an Electro 2 73 on loan. It has the original sounds it shipped with. It sounds like a darker "Suitcase" Rhodes sound for Program A1 and a more bell tone Rhodes for Program A5.

For jazz soloing I like the A1 "Suitcase" Rhodes because it slurs lines together pretty well and doesn't have that bell tone ping. The A5 bell tone Rhodes is nice for comping chords and bossa novas. I don't have easy access to download the other two Rhodes from Clavia's site. What are they like, are they any better for straight ahead bebop jazz than the A1 Rhodes already in the board?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see they have four acoustic pianos. Did the Electro 2 ship with the choice one?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

You need to hook up the Electro to a PC via USB running the CD-rom software that comes with the Electro - the Electro Tool. This will tell you which sounds are loaded and give you the ability to remove and change the sounds. The stock Rhodes are Rhodes 1 - Stage Piano 73 Mark 1 and Rhodes 2 - Suitcase 73 Mark I. The first one is more bell-like and not as gritty as the other one.

What I did on mine was kept Rhodes 1 for ballad-type uses and replaced Rhodes 2 with Rhodes 4 - Stage Piano 73 Mark V. This one is very similar to the Rhodes 2, but has just a little more sustain and bark to it. I tried them all and found that Rhodes 1 and Rhodes 4 were my favorites.

Regards,

Eric

You can effect the tone quite drastically by using EQ and "prescence" simultaneously; for example, you could cut treble with the EQ for a more mellow sound, and then add a boost to the high mid frequency of your choise via the prescence dial (which controls the clav pickup settings when using the clavinet mode). Using the prescence controls in real time can render some nice sonic effects, almost like a one-band phaser or a notch filter... The important thing when it comes to piano sounds is not what memory bank/slot (1-8) they´re in, but in what sample memory slot they´re in. When you select a program to play you can instantly see what sample is chosen, or if it´s the B3. All this will be much easier with the Electro tool.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I just got an Electro 2 73 on loan. It has the original sounds it shipped with. It sounds like a darker "Suitcase" Rhodes sound for Program A1 and a more bell tone Rhodes for Program A5.

For jazz soloing I like the A1 "Suitcase" Rhodes because it slurs lines together pretty well and doesn't have that bell tone ping. The A5 bell tone Rhodes is nice for comping chords and bossa novas. I don't have easy access to download the other two Rhodes from Clavia's site. What are they like, are they any better for straight ahead bebop jazz than the A1 Rhodes already in the board?

also Jazz+ said:

I see they have four acoustic pianos. Did the Electro 2 ship with the choice one?

I use those same Rhodes samples in my setup, and also the Wurlitzer. I chose to remove the Clavinet sample because I needed room for two acoustics. The first one I chose was the Steinway (which I do not believe is the "stock" sample loaded when you get the instrument - use the Electro Tool program to change that).

The other "acoustic" I have become extremely fond of, is the Yamaha CP-80 "electric piano" sample. I've said in a previous post that it is the first time I've actually heard it in tune (they never were originally, IMO) and it has this beautiful percussive hammer sound which sounds especially good if you play a bluegrass-ish or "finger picking" style of piano a'la Bruce Hornsby.

Also, you can EQ and effect the shit out of the Rhodes, so my advice would be to stick to those two you like, and modify them to your preference.

Hope this helps! I've also posted on your P90-velocity topic. Hopefully you can give me a clue on that.

Thanks.

Here for the gear.

• 5 months later...

Yes, the Electro Tool CD-Rom comes packaged with the Electro's manual. You can also download it direct from Clavia's website if you don't have the CD-Rom. The CD-Rom has all the available sounds on it except maybe the newest ones...not sure how often Clavia updates this content. Either way, you can very easily download any and all sounds from Clavia's website and move them into the Electro very easily.

Regards,

Eric

You can also download the Electro Tool from Clavia's website (I bought my Electro 2 used and it didn't have the CD ... but everything is online).

I initially swapped out the Rhodes 2 with the Rhodes 4, but when I updated the op sys to 2.1 and could adjust the velocity curve (did just a hair), I found I no longer liked Rhodes 4 as much. I'm back to Rhodes 2.

For the original stock sounds, the history of each Rhodes sampled is in the back of the manual. I believe they discuss the other Rhodes as well.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Didn't the later Rhodes (Mark IV) use plastic for the tines?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by eric:

Yes, the Electro Tool CD-Rom comes packaged with the Electro's manual. You can also download it direct from Clavia's website if you don't have the CD-Rom. The CD-Rom has all the available sounds on it except maybe the newest ones...not sure how often Clavia updates this content.

When I bought my Electro Rack 2 (april last year), the CD-ROM contained all the sounds, including the newer ones. Neat.

Can't wait to download the announced new sounds (this spring) for the Electro. I hope they'll offer a dyno-my-rhodes type of Rhodes, like on those Al Jarreau albums and on the early Yellowjackets albums. And mellotron sounds would be cool as well. A new OS with multitimbrality (don't know if a new OS would technically be able to deliver this) would finish the cake. :)

Archived