Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fidelity

RL

Hi all,I like to know are there any piano amps

that sound as good as my Yamaha P-250'S speakers ? The p-250 sounds terrible going through EONS,ROLANDS,PEAVEYS,AND MACKIES etc.My search goes on for a piano amp that gives me the fidelity of my p-250 speakers but with more power.Thanks for any helpful info you may have.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been my experience that a belief in fidelity leads to certain disappointment.

just kidding.

Hi RL . I'd say 'welcome to the forum', but I'm new around here myself and would feel more than a little ridiculous doing so..

Good Luck in your search! I'm pretty much looking for the same thing.

Sue

[at least I could've spelled your name right!]

:wave:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

What's your price range? The AER Compact stuff is getting high praise for fidelity, but if the JBL and Mackie stuff isn't good enough for you, I don't know what will be - they're full range in a compact box, not much else is. I can't believe you think the 250's onboard speakers outperform the Mackies - I've never heard the 250, but its hard to imagine.

Hi Dabowsa,ALL I'm saying is that the P-250's on board speaker have a better sound quality than all the above mention amps but of course not the power.I'm looking for sound quality with the power.By the way has any tried a Flite keyboard amp by The Flite Co.? If I have to pay top dollar for the desired sound Ineed I will.

If you really want to go top dollar, why not try ADAMs or Genelecs or some other hi power studio monitor? If you think a pair of ADAMs isn't as good as your onboard speakers, then nothing will be.

"For instance" is not proof.

You might want to hold out a bit and give the SFX GrooveTube a try when it ships. The thread below looks prettydarn interesting...

Welcome to the mad house, RL. :cool:

Here for the gear.

OUCH!Zeronyne,I had no idea that I'd have to take out a mortgage to purchase the Adams.The price of those killers made me eat and swallow my words on what I'm willing to pay.I'd say my limit or price range is up to $2000.00 THANKS FOR THE REALITY CHECK.

I don't have a link to the Flite equipment.A bass player I worked with had this Bass amp which

looked to be about 14" square and the sound and fidelity of it blew everyone in the group away.This thing was very light and oh so powerful and clean sounding just amazing.He told me

they may make comparable keyboard amps.So I'm anxious to check one out and wondering if anyone is aware of them.One just has to go on line and type FLITE or FLITE Speakers to access their site.Which I haven't done as yet.Also thanks to all who have welcomed me on board.I'm happy to be a part of the show.

Hey RL, maybe you should consider something other than a keyboard amp. I always used a small stereo sound system with speakers geared for keyboards. It can run into some $$$ if you aren't satisified with some of the brands you mentioned. I find it hard to believe you don't like any of them. Are we talking Mercedes taste and VW budget? If so, you're in the right place.

EAW is another company you might want to check out. Check out www.eaw.com. They have small self powered speakers that are a cut above JBL and some of the others you mentioned. All you need is one self powered speaker cabinet for small gigs. A sound tech from Yamaha told me to consider EAW because they were a cut above JBL stuff and not into Meyer $$$.

Welcome to the asylum! :D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by davinwv:

I just bought a pair of FBT MaxX2As.

I'm interested! They sound very similar to the Mackie SRM350's, if they ever arrive.

I've given up on finding a plastic speaker that doesn't sound a little boxy, so I might as well enjoy something that's lightweight and easy to set up.

The one thing that's a little odd, is that the frequency range for the 10" and 12" models are listed as the same...?

Can you tell me a little about your setup? Are you using them as monitors, or PA? Do you do any classical or low-volume gigs?

I do like the fact that the company makes it's own accessories. Takes the guess work out of shopping.

An Italian product. Probably not available in canada. At least I've never heard of them before.

Thanks for the link.

Sue

If you do a search here you will find my rants about Pyramid power amps and Low B speakers. Highly, highly recommended over all that stuff. For $2000 ballpark you could add a really high quality DI too, which can make a lot of difference.

A really fine bass amp might be worth a try too.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by gangsu:

[An Italian product. Probably not available in canada. At least I've never heard of them before.

Well, FBT is owned by GeneralMusic, so I guess they could be ordered thru the same distributor. Just guessing, though.

FBT is an old, glorious Italian maker of speakers, amps and mixers. Frankly, they used to specialize in the "middle" range of quality, while trying to keep their prices quite low. I hadn't heard much from them since they were bought by GEM, but it seems they have done something worthwile with this recent line of speakers - I hear everybody praising them.

Originally posted by marino:

FBT is owned by GeneralMusic

!! You realize what you've done here. I feel all the forces of loyalty rushing in to embrace this new product. :D

Originally posted by gangsu:

Can you tell me a little about your setup? Are you using them as monitors, or PA? Do you do any classical or low-volume gigs?

Thanks for the link.

Sue

Using them in wedge configuration now as floor monitors. I play in a jazz quartet (low volume almost always. They are the most sonically pleasing speakers I have ever played through (with the possible exception of EAW non-powered wedges). I also plan to use them on speaker stands as main PA for vocal/piano duet gigs. They are crystal clear at any volume.

Hi Davin!

Thanks for the response. It sounds like we might have similar applications. I have one keyboard, with both stereo and mono pianos (and a whole lot more but that's beside the point). Given a choice, I prefer stereo over mono. So, a stereo solution is what I'm looking for. I'm an accompanist for acoustic instruments/vocalists 90% of the time. (The other 10% I leave to the incompetence of the sound man.) I don't want to jump the gun, but the FBT's may be what I'm looking for. I've contacted the GEM dealer in Ontario to see about ordering them. What store stocks them in your area? I forsee having to place a special order.

Just a quick comparison with the Mackies - weight and frequency response (range?) - my 2 major concerns:

FBT MaxX2A: 50Hz-20kHz @-5dB 29 lbs

Mackie SRM350: 61Hz-22kHz @-10dB 34 lbs.

And a note to Ted:

You have multiple keyboards, and your sound solution involves multiple speakers, amps, monitors, a leslie, WHOA I'm just not there yet. Just a piano player. Ok, I am getting into the Hammond organs lately, love that St James Infirmary. But basically, we're in 2 different camps. (2 different income brackets too, judging by those cool 3-way Meyers). One thing I will say, I love the way you call a shovel a shovel. Those fake pianos, you have to admit they've come a long way.

Thanks all,

Sue

Hi Sue,

just one keyboard, controlling multiple modules etc.

I can still very much recommend Pyramid 1000 or 1800 power amp, which will set you back $300-600, and a couple Low B speakers, which will be $400-800 last I checked. This is a stereo setup, and if you use the bass range of the piano it will be rather much healthier than with any powered speaker. Not a very big or heavy setup, but bigger than very small powered speakers.

You may still want to think about a great stereo DI- another one in the several hundred bucks range, there's quite a few at mercenary.com to look at. Many will offer the option of a quality transformer line out for the soundboard and a separate out for stage amps and speakers.

You may only be trying to get a decent piano tone, but that is one of the very most demanding things going! Even if it doesn't have to sound like a real piano, just to be something pleasant that works in all registers is quite a challenge.

Good luck!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Hi Ted,

I don't like posting such a dumb question :) , but what's a DI and what are the advantages of adding another piece of hardware?

I have a really hard time with the notion of bass amps. I'll be in Toronto in a couple weeks though, and I hope to have the opp to hear the Acme.

BTW, I hope you will like the Promega. I can tell you that the keys themselves are a bit rough under the edges. I'm sure the wooden keys on your Kawai must be superior. But the sounds coming from this piano meet my greatest expectations.

Thanks again!

Sue

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

If you do a search here you will find my rants about Pyramid power amps and Low B speakers. Highly, highly recommended over all that stuff. For $2000 ballpark you could add a really high quality DI too, which can make a lot of difference.

A really fine bass amp might be worth a try too.

I'd have to second the Acme Low B2 suggestion. Althought they are marketed for bass guitar, they are definitely a very fine sound reinforcement speaker.

And the nice bass amp suggestion is OK, but just make sure it's a full range cabinet and a completely uncolored amp.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived