Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Juno-D?

Dave Bryce

Yeah, it's really about the name, isn't it? The original Juno name is associated with a classic analog synth. It's kinda blasphemous of Roland to use it for the name of their newest entry level rompler. Couldn't they call it the Porta-Fantom or something? :confused:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's too damn bad. As some of you know, I was a Juno fan (my first two synths i owner were a 60 and 106). It's bad enough that I owned an Alpha-1 (still sitting in a closet somewhere), but there's no good reason to attach a Juno name to this keyboard, if it performs how I think it will.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Sir Basil:

Hey now, I thot the alphaJunos were a great idea in the day when polyphonic synths of any type were quite a few dollars. I have an MKS50, it has its own decidedly non-wimpy sound signature, and it has its place in my rack. Well, stack, I still need some studio furniture.

As for the Juno D... ugh, it's not for me. But you have to understand that there's a market for low end keyboards with big sounds. When a buyer is overwhelmed with a Fantom X or Motif, they need something like this, more than a Casio but not as involved as a Triton. It bringgs in the kids and keeps our numbers high. ;)

I don't think any of us are saying that there isn't a niche for this kind of keyboard...you misunderstand us if you think that's the case. What we are lamenting is the use of classic branding in a completely ineffective way. This keyboard is aimed at people who have no idea what the Juno and Jupiter names represented (and, to a lesser extent, the JX). Actually, it's not unlike what Roland did to the Rhodes moniker.

If they had stuck to their own naming scheme, this one should have been something like the Fantom Lite or the FX-10 ot even the XV10. Again, such a shame to use up the energy that the name had.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Again, such a shame to use up the energy that the name had.

Exactly. It's not the keyboard; it's the appropriateness of the name.

...or lack thereof...

As another former Juno owner (my first MIDI synth was a 106), I'm also a bit disappointed.

Perhaps Dr. Rule will pop in here with Roland's perspective.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Hey, why drag us into this - we didn't do anything here. Point your finger back at Roland!!

:-)

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Yeah, it's really about the name, isn't it? The original Juno name is associated with a classic analog synth. It's kinda blasphemous of Korg to use it for the name of their newest entry level rompler. Couldn't they call it the Porta-Fantom or something? :confused:

Sorry for the typo Jerry! :eek: We usually spend so much time talking about Korg at that other site that I must've typed it without thinking! Please accept my humble apologies. Roland is clearly the culprit here Roland, Roland,Roland....

It runs on a wall-wart.

Good God!

Roland makes some great, quality stuff, but they've gone on a real bender this time.

Coming to a Toys 'R Us near you.

I don't want to be a snob, though -- if you can buy a $200 synth with a nice, solid keybed and good sound at TRU for Xmas, it's a great introductory toy for the under-15 set.

:eek:

rt

Anyone remember the waste of perfectly good landfill material that was the JX-1? It looked, felt, and sounded like a keyboard that a plastic army man (the green ones) would play.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by realtrance:

I don't want to be a snob, though -- if you can buy a $200 synth with a nice, solid keybed and good sound at TRU for Xmas, it's a great introductory toy for the under-15 set.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with the keyboard to me. It (and others) may help cure one of the problems of keyboarding: not enough keyboardists to build a strong sonic identity and community.

I learned synthesis on a Juno 6. There was some kind of wierd and wonderful magic in the chorus processor. And it had some cool tricks. I used to love doing microtonal bends. For people with my background, the name Juno means something specific. 12-16 year olds likely will not appreciate that.

I may be all wrong, there may be good reason. Perhaps name Juno D may work as part of a set of names such as Juno V (an entry level V-synth), Juno (entry level sampler), etc. But at this point I'm confused with the name. Perhaps a little dissapointed, because I was hoping for more subtractive synthesis in it.

Still, if it funds the next V-synth, I suppose it's a good idea. Perhaps for my son....?

Nah he gets my beat up XP50. :D

Jerry

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

It's frustrating when classic names are misused. Think Oberheim...

Best,

Geoff

You must be talking about the OB-12. What a disappointment!
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by bat63:

So it's a rompler,what's wrong with that?

So don't defile the Juno name. Those of us who are fond of classic Juno synths are appalled that the name is cheapened by this bottom of the barrel keyboard.

Same with E-MU trading on its glorious past by naming a rompler the Audity.

Moe

---

So, the only thing it has to do with a Juno is that it uses the same name. It's not even an analog-style synth.

Wow.

It's frustrating when classic names are misused. Think Oberheim...

And I just can't see the reason why. Roland did just fine with the Fantom name. Why don't they just cache the Juno/Jupiter names until something really flagship comes down the line? Ah, well.

Yeah, it's really about the name, isn't it? The original Juno name is associated with a classic analog synth. It's kinda blasphemous of Roland to use it for the name of their newest entry level rompler. Couldn't they call it the Porta-Fantom or something?

So don't defile the Juno name. Those of us who are fond of classic Juno synths are appalled that the name is cheapened by this bottom of the barrel keyboard.

And on, and on, and on.... But the truth is you guys have it all wrong. I've talked with Roland at the NAMM show, and inside of the Roland "Juno" as always the code name for "inexpensive" or "entry level" keyboards.

Sure, we all love the classic Juno synths, but when they came out they were simply Roland's grab for a less expensive analog synth. I'm suprised that this has been overlooked until now. Anyway, don't shoot the messenger, but the word from Roland at the NAMM show was that "Juno" always meant inexpensive. And yes, this is simply the successor to the RS series with additional sounds (including more synth based programs.) But it is a ROMpler...

Best Wishes,

GearGuy

Anyway, don't shoot the messenger, but the word from Roland at the NAMM show was that "Juno" always meant inexpensive.
So we should've been calling the D-5,D-10 and XP-10 by the names JunoD-5, or maybe D-Juno5 and so on?

Anyway, that's a lousy explanation from Roland.

PS. Sorry for the other Junos I forgot to mention.

well, i saw a demo of it...pretty basic synth...so much like the FA-76 without the sequencer and the extra keys...

and it sells for 600 USD...pretty good...but one would might as well go for a TRITON LE for 400 USD more...its got all the juice of triton...

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

Originally posted by realtrance:

Hey -- I like the Audity 2000! :idea: And it's more powerful than the original, and a helluva lot cheaper. :love:

rt

AARRGGHH!!! You mean you'd rather have a rompler than 16 voices of yummy classic analog SSM goodness? Conveniently housed in a 6 foot tall rack? With a 4000 note sequencer attached to a nonvelocity sensitive keyboard? All for only $65,000?

Infidel! :D:D:D

Moe

---

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Originally posted by bat63:

[qb]So it's a rompler,what's wrong with that?

Never mentioned the "sacriledge"(sp?) involving the "name", I just asked " So,it's a rompler,what's wrong with that?"

Nothing wrong with "romplers" per se,because some of us would like to get our music out before.....say.......NEXT MILLENIUM!!!!!

Some of us are NOT "mad scientists" with all of those "cool" "Frankenstein" gadgets like those twin beakers that pass electricity between them....

Some of us ...*do*....have a f&(!&$(&(_

life....

even if *YOU* don't......

baby

Archived