Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line Mixers?

hermanjoe

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been using the Rane SM82 for two years. It does the job well, and has some useful features. There is a downloadable manual on the Rane site for it. I'll probably end up trading up to a Yamaha 01V96 at some point later this year, as I need a few digital effects and my mixing needs are outgrowing eight stereo channels.

Note you don't want to pair the SM82 with the Rane HC6, however. There is a design issue on the HC6 where the Signal Present LEDs introduce noise in the output bus when they change state. Very annoying in low SPL applications.

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

Just picked up a Beheringer RX1602. It is a 16 channel 1U Rack mount. Very nice as a sub mixer since each of the 8 sections is dual Mono instead of a panned stereo like some other mixers.

http://www.behringer.com/RX1602/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Can't beat the price either ($99) Very silent, all of the pots are silent. This is going to be my main submixer which will either go into a Tascam FW1884 or to the house mains for the live stuff I do.

Originally posted by The Magician:

Just picked up a Beheringer RX1602. Can't beat the price either ($99) Very silent, all of the pots are silent.

looks like a killer deal, but what's with the frequency response? do you notice any changes in the synths sound compared to direct sound? is it fairly "neutral"?

i'm always scared when i see a "behringher" logo on a piece of equipment, but i really need one for ocasional gigs. All behringer stuff i had was crappy, now sold or broken. :freak:

thx

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

At home, I have a Bheringer MX 3282A (32x8x2, obviously). It's quite clean, and not too bulky. It has eight sends, inserts on all channels and on groups, and many other goodies. The EQ is limited, but I usually EQ in the recorder or computer.

I also have a couple of Roland M120 mixers: 12 channels with two sends and a separate monitor bus, all in one rack space. I use them live, and as a submixer when I need one.

I have 2 ashley 308 B's in a rack that I take with a computer rig..very very clean with lots o room for gain..forget the 99 dollar solution for submixing keyboards it is just a bad way to get a great mix not to mention the actual changes in "true" sound a piece like that adds not to mention noise..alesis stuff is a big noise adder as far as I am concerned..the solution for me for my big sample rig at home was to find a used mackie lm3204..they are out there and very very useful..32 inputs(stereo pairs) and great sounding too!

regards

vibes

Probably not made anymore, I really like my TOA D4:

4 line in, with balance and volume, one has XLR for mike (no phantom tho')

each channel has bass and treble eq, an RCA line return, two 1/4 ins - one takes stereo tip/ring to stereo, the other takes mono to both left/right, or two plugs for normal stereo. There is a mono out with separate volume from the master stereo out, and a line in RCA for playing CDs on the break 9or an additional instrument)

Pretty quiet and clean, works great even tho it's 10 years old-look for one on eBay...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

I have been using the original Speck Xtramix line mixer for I guess the past ten years and it still performs fantastically. It crams over 50 inputs into a 4 rack space unit. The mixer is very quiet and sounds very open. Over the years my mixer has been back to the factory where Vince Poulos has performed upgrades and maintenance. I can't say enough good things about the mixer and the company as it's no problem to get Vince on the phone when I have any questions. The Xtramix is more expensive than say a Mackie or Behringer but I think the quality justifies the price.

www.speck.com

Stefan

hermanjoe wrote:

<>

I use a Rolls RM203. I did compare it to Rane. With my modules I could not discern a difference: the noise was dominated by what was coming out of my modules. Due to the electronics and power supply design (schematics for both products are on the manufacturers websites), the Rane theoretically has more headroom and higher noise immunity although I had no way to measure this. Is it worth the added cost? If you've got a lot of keyboards and a densely populated rack and your going to interface to pro sound rigs where the soundmen might scoff at the Rolls, it makes sense. If it's for a weekend warrior set up like I have, probably not.

Steve

Archived