Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland JX-8P as MIDI controller?

Gruv

Hi, all. I am looking into purchasing a used (obviously) Roland JX-8P as my first synth purchase. I'm not really going for the sounds as this particular unit does'nt come with a programming module like the PG-800. I'll just treat the presets as a bonus.

I'm going to use it as a MIDI keyboard for modules and soft synths to be purchased later. I could'nt find a cheaper alternative for 61 keys with velocity AND aftertouch. What do you guys think? Good plan or do I need to shop around a little more?

Thanks in advance for any input.

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The JX-8P is a cool synth. It excells at soft pads...

It might not be a good choice as a controller though. As I recall, you really have to pound the crap out of it to get the aftertouch to work. Additionally I think that you would be better off with something else with more sonic versatility. I am sure someone here can make a suggestion...

How old is this? I suspect you can't do Bank Selects, only Program Change commands.

There may be more things that old software will limit you. I'll bet it has few velocity curves, few aftertouch curves, etc.

Modules can age gracefully, but controllers usually don't.

you need to shop arround. JX8P has almost no realtime controllers, that can send cc messages etc. Its aftertouch implementation is almost unusable, to steep curve. I owned it, it has issues with key contacts when it gets old - not something you want live.

There are some really nice new controllers out there. evolution , m-audio, i dont know...

They have knobs, faders, all that stuff so you can change filters, volume, modulations etc on your rack modules.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Originally posted by Gruv:

Hi, all. I am looking into purchasing a used (obviously) Roland JX-8P as my first synth purchase. I'm not really going for the sounds as this particular unit does'nt come with a programming module like the PG-800. I'll just treat the presets as a bonus.

I'm going to use it as a MIDI keyboard for modules and soft synths to be purchased later. I could'nt find a cheaper alternative for 61 keys with velocity AND aftertouch. What do you guys think? Good plan or do I need to shop around a little more?

Thanks in advance for any input.

V.

Well considering the price you would pay on a JX, I could suggest you buy a XP30. Altough a little rough to understand as far as MIDI implementation is concerned (Roland manuals, you know...) the aftertouch and velocity sensitivity seem OK to me and as a bonus you get really usable patches (the XP30 comes with three expansion boards from factory). You can find many on e-bay for well under 500 bucks. On the upside it has wonderful sounds, is fairly compact and lightweight. On the downside, it only has 61 keys.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Thanks for your input, everyone. In response to some of your comments.....

I have limited choices in my country (Malaysia) as almost all keyboards offered here are in the Roland, Korg or Yamaha vein or have to be special ordered at tremendous cost (around twice what you US and European cats pay).

I'm looking for something which can accomodate custom subtractive synthesis and FM sounds and so ROMplers don't really interest me. Thus it'll have to a soft synths and modules purchased from outside the country. I asked the local dealer here for a 61 key controller and was shown a plastic piece of crap which cost about RM1100 (roughly) US$300. No tech support, 3 month warranty. No thanks.

I really had my heart set on an Alesis Ion but after reading about all the problems it had and how lots of owners had to go through heartbreaking RMAs and what not, I decided against it. Besides, it's not even available here.

I've decided on 61 keys because anything more than that is a hassle, especially at airports. Anything less than 49 keys is not really for me.

I have kept M-Audio and Edirol in mind but those keyboards have no aftertouch and they have received some bad reviews as far as durability goes.

If the JX-8P is as questionable as you say it could be, I'm afraid my search will have to continue.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I really appreciate it.

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

I love my JX-8P because of it's inner workings. Not because of the keyboard, the "paddle" or the hard to activate, "after touch".

I've been planning for years to buy the MKS-70 so that I can finally rid myself of all the clutter of the JX-8P keyboard, but keep all of my custom patches. (plus the added bonus of all that extra polyphony and layering, oooh).

No, I would NOT recommend the JX-8P as a controller.

Carl

I owned a Roland JX-8P and loved the sounds, but its keyboard suffers from ocassional "lock-up." I thought it was only mine, but I've read reviews from other owners suffering the same fate--playing along and some keys stick, resulting in notes playing indefinitely.
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Well, after some consideration and research, I have decided to get it. It should be able to do simple note on, velocity and pitch wheel and note off, right? That's pretty much the extent of MIDI control that I want from a keyboard.

I'm gonna use some of the pad sounds too. I've hears some good stories about the sounds so that's definitely a plus. For the price and the accessories it comes with (case, stand, cables), it's too good an offer to pass up.

Wow, do I sound like a newbie, or what? :D

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

Hi there folks - my first post. :o

I don't recommend the JX8P as a controller kbd either.

If you still hanker for aftertouch, and wish for a cheap but 'good' controller kbd, you should research any of these keyboards: Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha DJX, Roland A-50.

Archived