Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum Members' Best Sites

schmoron13

I'm designing my company website (doing audio and graphics (plug...ahem :P ) so I've been looking at what people have, and I thought it be cool if we posted our favorite sites created by forum members. Of course, this isn't relegated to Keyboard Corner, but I figured I'd post it with y'all.

Explaining WHY we like the sites is helpfull

My vote for the "coolest" (self evident?) site (and of course I'm partial as a jazz pianist) is:

Superbobus

I'm also partial to:

DJDM His site is informative, and manages to balance fun with professional. The option of broadband/dialup is great and in the "broadband" version, I love the little details-animated gifs that act almost like banners.

anyone else?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the quick replies, but I mainly want this to be an appreciation page, rather than a survey.

Bleen, great feel to your site. I like the greyscale with just a touch of colors...very imaginative!

Dave, what's the over/under on his presence? I'm saying 7 posts... ;) but I have to say that his site is one of the most, if not the most corporate-looking of us KC'ers

Mine's www.llarion.com but I'll be overhauling it soon, it's had this look for a year, and that's more than I usually let it stay..

Another musician site I designed is www.darcimonet.com

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I sense impending Weasel spam...

Nah.

Web sites are like pieces of blank paper, or opening a new file in your DAW app. You can go in any one of an infinite number of directions, and the propriety of your direction is not defined by "cool", but by your goals of the site.

My sites aren't designed to show off my web prowess (the little that I have), but I do like to think they're effective at selling products and/or services. But it's a blast for me to design little Flash projects and so on.

I guess it's like anything: when you do it for a living, it loses the voodoo. But I still enjoy a cool site. :thu:

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

I guess it's like anything: when you do it for a living, it loses the voodoo.

Word.

I'm not a web designer, but as an IT guy I build and operate the server farms where they run. Building my first highly-available production environment in '97 was really cool. Just a job, now. :D Good job, and I enjoy it, but I'm more interested in working with good people than I am in how many servers I get to play with.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I know my websites pretty much suck, at least graphically, so I'm not chiming in here to direct attention to them (I ain't no designer, painfully obvious indeed :) ). I only want to offer a humble designing tip from an end user's standpoint:

Many of us are still on 56K modems. I don't have patience for flash-only sites. More often than not, if I click on a link to a site, and it's flash-enabled with no option to bypass the animation's tortuously slow load (56K, remember), I'll simply leave. I'm not alone in this tendency; I've seen others do it too.

This is my humble plea to Web designers of the world, please be kind to us less technologically advanced! :) Unless you're only trying to reach high-bandwidth surfers ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

You can see our website which has a course about audio engineering for home studio guys (in Dutch) and more that 30 studio tips.

You can hear a number of sound fragments and add something to the forums.

Within a couple of months the site is going to be replaced by a new website, because the studio has also been rebuild and redecorated.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I created:

www.nederlandmuziek.com

www.electricaudio.nl

www.midasconsoles.nl

www.tocn.info

www.motoplacejooprichter.nl

www.ilparco.nl

and others...

My very first website (made in 1999) was about synthesizers. (what else, huh??) I still have a hidden copy of it: http://synthesizers.webkeutels.com

It's in Dutch... sorry folks!

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

That's a great quote. Is it a Weasel original?

When I first started posting on this forum about a year ago, I noticed a guy named StrongBad posting with a link to the Homestar Runner site. I'm not sure who the guy is or if he's associated with the site, but the site is pretty popular with high school and college kids in search of high-brow humour.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Originally posted by berkleeboi:

Posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

That's a great quote. Is it a Weasel original?
I didn't say it quoting anyone in particular, but nothing -- I'm sorry, very little -- is actually original. So, probably not. ;)

In case anyone was wondering about the spam that was anticipated, I'd just finished and gone live with the new GC Pro site:

www.gcpro.com

I do feel a little remorse about a decision I made: this site has a lot of graphics and a pretty heavy drop-down menu navigation. I'm afraid that especially the index page may load pretty slow on dial-up. But not nearly as slow as Flash only, so it could be a lot worse. Plus, we determined that at this point, the majority of folks visiting that site will have broadband of some type (in which case it loads in about two seconds).

- Jeff

Originally posted by geekgurl:

Many of us are still on 56K modems. I don't have patience for flash-only sites. More often than not, if I click on a link to a site, and it's flash-enabled with no option to bypass the animation's tortuously slow load (56K, remember), I'll simply leave. I'm not alone in this tendency; I've seen others do it too.

I'm with you, I skip the flash sites too, when I'm at home with my 56k modem.

This is my humble plea to Web designers of the world, please be kind to us less technologically advanced! :) Unless you're only trying to reach high-bandwidth surfers ...
Then you'll love my website - it's really basic, and loads very quickly:

http://www.richardwhitehouse.ca

Originally posted by Guest User:

Originally posted by geekgurl:

[qb]Many of us are still on 56K modems. I don't have patience for flash-only sites. More often than not, if I click on a link to a site, and it's flash-enabled with no option to bypass the animation's tortuously slow load (56K, remember), I'll simply leave. I'm not alone in this tendency; I've seen others do it too.

I even skip flash sites when I'm in the office with HDSL. I hate flash sites, I am not impressed by the animations nort by the graphics: I'm on the web for info and contents.

Max Ventura, Italy.

I've never spent much time on my website because I'm just too busy trying to make music and work 40 hours a week at a job.

It's really really simple and not very exciting but it definitly works which is important. I hope it does it's job at getting people to check out the audio content.

http://www.jamfree.com/

Originally posted by Guest User:

Then you'll love my website - it's really basic, and loads very quickly:

http://www.richardwhitehouse.ca [/QB]

Yes, I do like the instant gratification load-time. :) I think the site does everything it needs to, too. I'm a big prononent of putting up the necessary info in an easily navigable form (but then, I'm a writer as one of my trades) -- that's what usability is to me -- and the rest is really gravy. By now everyone's seen the fancy schmancy stuff web can do, but it's not necessary nor even beneficial to the "culture" of many sites. Thanks for sharing!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I sense impending Weasel spam...

dB

oh and he brought it, strong! haha
What's that? Do I see the words JamFree more than my recent site here in this thread? Could it be that JamFree is not SpamFree? :D

- Jeff

Archived