Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Andrews Sisters

dementia13

Yeah, I know they're corny and dated, but my little girl's been watching a Disney movie that has a song of theirs in it, and I've been astonished at listening to them. I can't believe how tight they sound, and this is from a day before Pro Tools, quantization, Auto-Tune. Even multitracking hadn't been invented yet, so they had to hit those tunes solid- live. And they are so dead-on: never off-pitch, swinging furiously, as tight as any big-band horn section. How do they do that? It's like one knows what the others are thinking. I wonder if one hurts, the others feel the pain. I read that they thought so much in harmony that none of them was able to work solo for very long. What freaks, in a good way.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dementia13:

Yeah, I know they're corny and dated, but my little girl's been watching a Disney movie that has a song of theirs in it, and I've been astonished at listening to them. I can't believe how tight they sound, and this is from a day before Pro Tools, quantization, Auto-Tune. Even multitracking hadn't been invented yet, so they had to hit those tunes solid- live. And they are so dead-on: never off-pitch, swinging furiously, as tight as any big-band horn section. How do they do that? It's like one knows what the others are thinking. I wonder if one hurts, the others feel the pain. I read that they thought so much in harmony that none of them was able to work solo for very long. What freaks, in a good way.

It's amazing that without technology many performed so well ... I believe it's called practicing.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived