Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guy Babylon with Elton John

mooghead

Saw EJ live 2 nights ago...wow great show.

EJ was playing a midified Yamaha Grand which passed from acoustic sound to midied ones. His voice has faded a bit in years, but his piano playing is really top notch...the 3 big screens helped to show his pirotechnics on the keyboard. I think he's at his best when playing melodically or in a bluesy way..when speeding up in solos he gets boring and repeats his descending lines...

Guy Babylon was at keyboards.

Played standing with a Motif 6 with a K2600 on top and a Motif 8 with a K 2600 on top. Great player who didn't have his own spotlight except for 2/3 solos.

Leads, organs, vocal samples, brass, harmonica sound came from the Kurzs.

Pads, poli sinths, most of the strings from the Motifs.

He had quite a rack behind him, so it's difficult to know what controlled what...

Good to great show.

P.s. I want his rig!!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone remember Guy Babylon's Soundpage entry in Keyboard magazine back in the mid to late 80's? This was back when they packaged vinyl records into the binding of the magazine.

It was the Soundpage Contest, which I believe was won by Guy Babylon (I think this is his stage name, but I could be mistaken). The song was called "Babylon Blue" and it was a rollicking number featuring a clav with string bender, Roland VK9 organ, honky tonk piano fills...the works. It was really a cool tune. I believe this might have been what put him on the map.

I'll have to dig that issue out and play the record for nostalgia's sake.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

I saw that band two years ago; Babylon really nailed all the synth parts. The band did "Funeral for a friend/Love lies Bleeding", and it sounded really great! Made me want a K2600... :love:

/J :cool: nas

They started with that song...reeaally cool! Even though I suppose there were sequenced parts in the intro itself.

Originally posted by eric:

Does anyone remember Guy Babylon's Soundpage entry in Keyboard magazine back in the mid to late 80's?

Sure do. Ever since that article/soundsheet I've lusted after a Clav with a whammie bar!

"Guy Babylon" is a great name for a rock star.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I remember Guy Babylon's song, and it still holds up to replay against anything out there. Of course having a wealth of gear helps. His arsenal also stands up to anything anyone has out there. ;)
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Originally posted by eric:

Does anyone remember Guy Babylon's Soundpage entry in Keyboard magazine back in the mid to late 80's?...It was the Soundpage Contest, which I believe was won by Guy Babylon ... The song was called "Babylon Blue"

Yes, this song had a big influence on me as a musician. It was excellently played and arranged. The individual sections of the song fit so well together. It has so much good music in a short time.

In the article that accompanied the Soundpage, I remember Guy said that he liked sequencing because it challenged him to learn to play a part better than the sequencer.

A few years ago I was amazed as my piano tuner here in Maryland mentioned Guy Babylon out of the blue (no pun intended)! Turns out Guy grew up in Maryland and my tuner knew Guy when he was younger. Funny coincidence!

Another story is that I noticed a similarity between a part of "Babylon Bleu" and a song on echolyn's second album (forget which one). I emailed echolyn keyboardist Chris Busby and asked him about that. He told me had heard "Babylon Bleu" when it came out and I got the impression that I had reminded him of that song. Maybe it stuck in his subconscious and played a role in the echolyn song many years later!

Ben

Originally posted by b3keys:

They started with that song...reeaally cool! Even though I suppose there were sequenced parts in the intro itself.

Not true. Guy plays those parts!

Yes, he was playing the main parts...but you could hear there was something more going on underneath.

Hello,

My name is Jennifer, I am a huge fan of Guy Babylon. I run a web site on him: guybabylonfan.com. I think he is a wonderful keyboardist. He has also done things with Iron Butterfly, Ashton and a band he had in the early ninties called warpipes. Warpipes consisted of Elton John's band members. Recently he worked on an album with Elton's drummer Nigel Olsson called Move the Universe. On which he co wrote a song with his wife.

Jennifer

I was googling earlier and found the Guy Fan website. She coincidentally made her appearance on this forum. I'd be surprised if the fan had not dug up the old Keyboard mag article and the Soundpage recording. I have the article and vinyl, but not sure of the best way to publicize it.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Eric

Hello all,

I have heard Babylon Blue, I actually have it on cassette. I would love to put it on my site but I do not know how to, or even if it would support that. If anyone wants it I will be more than happy to copy it and send it to you. But it will be copied to cassette. Email me: guybabylonfan@yahoo.com.

Happy Holidays,

Jennifer

Archived