Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing gig in 2 dayz i need acurate tab for Van Halen - I'll Wait

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by earlew:

in all fairness, the van halen fan was on the right track since the keyboard riffs were written by a guitarist! Some of the most memorable kb riffs of the 80's came from the rock n roll guitarist! I still love that thick sound from Jump - what was it - an oberheim?

It was an OBXa. I believe it was patch #1.

Oh, and memorable doesn't equal "good". :D

"For instance" is not proof.

I heard some rumor that Mike McDonald wrote those keyboard parts for Eddie, but have no idea if this is true or just urban legend.

Imagine "Minute by Minute" or "Taking it to the Streets" done Van Halen style!

BTW, what ever happened to our beloved Van Halen Fan 1984? Probably still hunkered over skyy38's Casio, working on the song? Next time we'll seem them re-surface as Flock of Seagulls Fan 1982 asking for the tab for "I Ran." ;)

Regards,

Eric

Some of the most memorable kb riffs of the 80's came from the rock n roll guitarist! I still love that thick sound from Jump - what was it - an oberheim?
Eddie and Alex were both brought up playing classical piano.

I bought that album and got a DUI that night. I woke up in jail with that song in my head. Memorable, all right. Even worse, I got robbed, which led to having to sell my Moog Prodigy.

I don't like this thread anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I still want to know what happened on this gig!!! Will the original (im)poster please return to provide us with the final verdict!?

Hopefully they were true to the original recording and used a Nord Lead.

Regards,

Eric

Just for grins I did a search on Google - the worlds greatest search engine entering in keyboard tab and surprisingly there IS such an animal.

like the following:

Taborama Faith No More Keyboard tabs

and a few others. If its anything like the bass tab I've seen on the web you are MUCH better off getting the sheet music and learning how to read it. It sure as shootin' helped me.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by Dan South:

I don't think I'd go as far to call it TAB. Just a chord sheet with the rhythms marked.[/quote}

I agree with you there Dan. I'm just calling it what these guys/gals call it.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by denis5:

Does anyone know this site?

http://www.pianotabs.net/rwinfo.html

I checked it out, IMO this really sucks. There are other ways of learning tunes that are MUCH easier and much more rewarding in the long run; either transcribe the stuff or learn to read sheet music. This "tab" stuff won´t get you anywhere.

/J :eek: nas

I somehow just managed to stumble across this.

That chicken leg .... my God, I'm still laughing so hard I can't even see my screen because my eyes are full of tears.

It's so .... Gary Larson ... in it's own way.

This thread required me to do laundry two days early ...

But guys, I think everyone missed Mr. Fan's question.

He just wanted to know how much it would cost to get a keyboard player to do Van Halen, you know, an "accurate keyboard tab".

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by earlew:

in all fairness, the van halen fan was on the right track since the keyboard riffs were written by a guitarist! Some of the most memorable kb riffs of the 80's came from the rock n roll guitarist! I still love that thick sound from Jump - what was it - an oberheim?

It was an OBXa. I believe it was patch #1.

Oh, and memorable doesn't equal "good". :D

Yeah, it was an OB-X.

The music video shows it clearly.

Jeez, this thread is over 18 months old! I'm surprised the images are still working (I usually just wipe out all the old stuff from my server).

It gave me a pang to see RobT's posts in this thread. R.I.P.

This thread and the Deliverance/B3 thread were the most fun I had in 2003...it was a rough year.

"For instance" is not proof.

• 1 year later...

Im laughing so hard and Im at work. You guys are a tough crowd! Gotta stop. You could buy a dgx 505 or it's replacements in the YPG/DGX 525/520 import I'll Wait as a Standard Midi File and the notes are right on the screen.

John