Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is a "charang"?

Togakure99

I always wondered what the hell a Charang was and why they thought to include it in the GM spec. One funny thing I find is that on most of the lower end keyboards, the Charang sound resembles a guitar more than the guitar sounds do. :freak:

So, anyone know what exactly a Charang is? :confused: I tried doing a google search, and dictionary.com turned up no results either.

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you got me curious...

I did a google search and it looks like a charang is 1) a chinese vegetable, 2) some sort of shrine-like structure, and 3)a tour through India.

I didn't find anything remotely like a musical instrument, particularly like one that sounded like a bad guitar sample.

k.

I always thought it was a description of the guitar sound. If you used your voice to imitate a guitar power chord you would probably say something like "Charang!". In a similar vein, a rock magazine in the UK is called "Kerrang!" for just the same reason.
In his blue velour and silk you liberated, a boy I never rated, and now he's throwing discus, for Liverpool and Widnes

Originally posted by Bobro:

I assume it's a charango, a small oud/guitar instrument from South America.

I have a charango - I bought it in Buenos Aires many years ago. Mine has more or less the same dimensions of a mandolin, but I know they come in different sizes. The short, fretted neck sports five *pairs* of strings, rather like a 12-string guitar, but the strings are made of nylon.

The soundboard resemble a guitar's soundboard, only much smaller. And get this - in the traditional design, the body is an armadillo shell. (Mine is wooden)

It is widely used in Andine music.

Originally posted by PatAzz:

Originally posted by Timmy2000:

Onomatopoeia Rocks!

Does anyone remember the Todd Rundgren song "Onomatopoeia?" I mention it to people (even musicians) and most think I'm talking about some king who married his mother :)
Great tune! I remember one line with a "Clink" "Clank" "Clunk", but no "Charang"! :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived