Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 desert island synthesizers

M Peasley

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by Odyssian:

Ooo, I love these questions!

My picks would be:

1. Any well-equipped hardware modular synth (four foot tall or better, please. ;) )

2. Moog Memorymoog

3. A rompler/workstation thingy with ha-uge amounts of polyphony.

Runner-up would be a Microwave XT 30 voice.

You make it sound like a personal ad. ;) Would that memorymoog be "non-smoking?" :D
Heheh! Yeah, I just can't stand it when they smoke, ya know. ;) I do love it when they warm up for me though, and we're in tune.... and in unison! (oops, sorry! that was R rated!) LOL!

I reject the limiting of choice to individual software applications. My PC functions as a synth in my studio, albeit the best sounding, most versatile synth I've ever owned. Like a workstation synth it has MIDI I/O, audio outs, storage, RAM, LCD display, etc. Soft synths are more a kin to workstation plugin boards. If it makes you feel better, think of it as an Openlabs eKo without the keyboard. So my choices would be:

1) PC with Cubase/V-stack with all the NI, Spectrasonic, Giga and Steinberg/Wizoo software. Everything else is icing on the cake.

2) Yamaha VL-1

3) Hammond B3 with Leslie (you could spend a lifetime learning how to play this thing RIGHT).

I'm afraid a sawtooth/square/tri analog would bore me to tears in no time.

Busch.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by S_Gould:

Rhodes Chroma

ARP 2600

Interesting choce, Scott. I've always been under the impression that a Chroma was kinda like having eight 2600s...I never had a 2600, though, so I can't say for sure how close they sounded.

Nice call on the Kyma system, BTW... ;)

dB

Well, it's been 20 years since I've played either one, so I don't really recall exactly how similar they sounded (I think I burned through those brain cells at a Dead show back in '84) but I do remember really liking both of them. However, Alesis promises me that my Andromeda (which I payed them for in June) has indeed shipped and I should see it any day now - so my 3 best list may need adjustment in the near future.

Scott

Picking a third would be hard...I'm enjoying the FS1R alot, I also found a VL-1 new in the box at the office...toys, toys toys.

I was going to pick the FS1R over a Z1 - I need to be stranded on a desert to have the time to really get into all its capabilities. But then I thought - do I get to bring a PC/Mac with Sounddiver ?

I would take a loaded Roland Fantom S 88, topped with a Korg Triton Studio 76, and an Emu XL-7 on the side. Sure, nothing outstanding here and lots of things may be considered better. Especially better than the E-mu, but with this collection I could get a lot done and cover most any sound. Sequencing would be very easy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Can we change our answers? I think I need a little more timbral variation, even at the expense of some others and some fun...

So now, make mine:

Clavia Nord Modular G2

Kurzweil K2661

Yamaha VP1

:D

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Waldorf Wave

Y'know, from what I understand, the Wave is actually a lot cooler looking than it really is...I hear ithat they never really got the bugs out of it - I've been told that the Waldorf guys tend to recommend that if you wanna play with wavetables you should get a Microwave XT...

I don't even think they make the Wave any more.

It is a badass looking mofo though, ain't it? ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by aeon:

Can we change our answers? I think I need a little more timbral variation, even at the expense of some others and some fun...

So now, make mine:

Clavia Nord Modular G2

Kurzweil K2661

Yamaha VP1

:D

Aeon, nice call on the VP1. Mike Martin, you let us know if you find one of those new in the box laying around the office.

Mike, wana sell that VL1? You are in the business to sell products, correct?

Busch.

Kurzweil 2600S, fully loaded, including breath controller and all pedals

Giga 160, fully loaded

Yamaha VL1

If you can't get the sound you want from that, you can't get it anywhere...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Originally posted by peake@pacificnet.net:

Moog Modular (Duh)

Kyma

Buchla Modular

Remarkable! A person from Andy's team who doesn't pick it...

Mike, you can't recall your patches by drawing them in the sand! Don't you need an analogue synth with memories?

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by Pim:

Moog Modular (Duh)

Kyma

Buchla Modular

Remarkable! A person from Andy's team who doesn't pick it...

Mike, you can't recall your patches by drawing them in the sand! Don't you need an analogue synth with memories?

I don't play chords :-) I had a bit to do with the semi-modular nature of some of the A6 features, though. A polysynth was the best option for the team, so there it is...
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

I don't play chords :-)

Playing chords is very easy: spread your thumb and the next two fingers in the way they form a "W". A kind of three-tooth rake. Now hold this shape and hit the keys.

Voilà: you play chords. Hey, that was easy to do, huh? :D

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

I was going to pick the FS1R over a Z1 - I need to be stranded on a desert to have the time to really get into all its capabilities. But then I thought - do I get to bring a PC/Mac with Sounddiver ?

Wuss. ;) Real men can edit 3000 parameters with 15 buttons, 4 knobs, and an LCD.

Archived