Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's a frisco? Isn't that some kind of cooking oil product?
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

In case you missed the not-so-subtle rebuke from SFOracle, no one in San Francisco refers to the city as "Frisco". It's a tourist thing.

Down in my neck of the woods, you can tell an out-of-towner by referring to the city not far south of here as "San Pedro", pronouncing it "Pay-dro".

If you live there, it's always been called "Pee-dro". Yes, the "wrong" pronounciation is probably historically more correct, but you rarely hear people trying their Spanish accents on city names like "Los Angeles" either.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

In case you missed the not-so-subtle rebuke from SFOracle, no one in San Francisco refers to the city as "Frisco". It's a tourist thing.

Down in my neck of the woods, you can tell an out-of-towner by referring to the city not far south of here as "San Pedro", pronouncing it "Pay-dro".

If you live there, it's always been called "Pee-dro". Yes, the "wrong" pronounciation is probably historically more correct, but you rarely hear people trying their Spanish accents on city names like "Los Angeles" either.

- Jeff

HA!

Virginia has two unique little towns that are legendary for this reason - Staunton (pronounced STAN-ton) and Buena Vista (pronounced BEW-nuh VEEsta) - during the Civil War, they were able to easily sniff out Yankee spies because they always "mispronounced" the town names. :D

Sorry Meccajay - I was dissen ya.

The first time I drove in LA - I got caught mispronouncing Sepulveda. I think they put it right by the airport as some sort of cruel joke on tourists looking for the car rental lots. Luckily I caught on before I had to go to La Jolla.

In the Bay Area, the city of Vallejo is locally mispronounced as well - as "Va-LE-Ho" when it should be "vi-YEH-Ho". I've lived here 8 years and I still don't know how to pronounce Junipero Serra Blvd. If you are Spanish - it would be "yoo-NIP-er-oh", but I've heard it pronounced "JOO-nip-er-oh" just as much.

Don.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Why do people in "Frisco" hate it being called that so much. It's the one nickname of that city that everyone from "Frisco" I've ever met take offense with.

Now, telling the locals in Hawaii that you live back in "the states" I completely understand, but what's so bad about "Frisco"??? (no offense :rolleyes: )

I think the local distain for "frisco" is that it just sounds too plastic. It's too cute for a town that prides itself on sophistication, diversity and bohemian culture. I think peope in San Francisco hate "frisco" for the same reasons that it is acceptable to wear socks and Birkenstocks here - anything too cool is uncool in San Francisco (and vice versa). Frisco is just to cute and catchy, too Dan Quale to be cool in "The City". No one wants to be caught dead saying "Hey Mavis - Let's go to Frisco for the weekend and get one of them clam chowder in a bread bowl things".

Culture snobs.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Now, telling the locals in Hawaii that you live back in "the states" I completely understand

OUCH! They really don't like that, since they pay taxes and stuff. Learn the word "mainland" and you're fine.

Mahalo.

- Jeff

Back to football...

So, what do you think about Shanahan getting caught in the lie about Plummer's injury? I'm sure he's not the first coach who's done this, but I'm a little surprised there seems to be no penalty, no fine, no nothing. I may be wrong about that, but isn't cheating a bad thing in pro sports?

- Jeff

Originally posted by steadyb:

Now, telling the locals in Hawaii that you live back in "the states" I completely understand

OUCH! They really don't like that, since they pay taxes and stuff. Learn the word "mainland" and you're fine.

Mahalo.

- Jeff

My quote didn't read as I intended.

What I meant, is that I completely understand their anger. "Back on the mainland" = good. "Back in the states" = bad.

Back to football...

So, what do you think about Shanahan getting caught in the lie about Plummer's injury? I'm sure he's not the first coach who's done this, but I'm a little surprised there seems to be no penalty, no fine, no nothing. I may be wrong about that, but isn't cheating a bad thing in pro sports?

Huh? Broncos cheating???? :eek:

I didn't hear about this - tell me more!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Don't you ever let me catch any of you talking about Boca "Rat-ahn". It's "Rat-own", "Boca Raton" being Spanish for "Rat's mouth", an irony I find delicious considering the general snobbery of the populace.

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Sometimes I pronounce it "Sonn Fronn-SEESE-ko" just to be silly.

I always went with San Fran when I was living there...

Hey, have you seen that aquarium store at Bush and Van Ness called San FranFishCo? :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

...and the folks in Boise, ID get pissed if you pronounce it "BOY-zee". It's "BOY-see".

It looks like BWOZ to me.

There's a town in PA called Dubois. They pronounce it DUE-boyss. Should be due-BWAH.

There a suburb of Pittsburgh named North Versailles. Yup, they pronounce it North ver-SALES! :rolleyes: Louis XIV is rolling over in his grave.

And Sault St.-Marie should be "so sant ma-REE," not "SUE SAINT ma-REE."

The only "loss" in Las Vegas is the one in your wallet. "lass BAY-gass"

Oh, and could all of you Spanish speakers stop calling the Big Apple "Nueva York?" We gringos will, in turn, promise to call Mexico "MAY-he-co" and Los Angeles "lowss ON-hay-lace." ;)

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I really do not consider this cheating. I mean everyone knew that Plummer wasn't going to come back in that game. As long as the stuation was fixed by the time the next team needed to prepare. I personally think the media is too busy with injury reports anyway.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Back to football...

- Jeff

I don't know the excact rule but I think it goes something like this... If you lie about an injury the week of a game or the week before a game, it's cheating. If you lie DURING the game. It's not.

It's all BS anyway cause the only reason for weekly injury reports is for Vegas's line.

TROLL . . . ish.

Ever since the LL Cool J song "Goin' Back to Cali" was released, I've sometimes used the term "Cali." Especially if I'm writing to someone from the East Coast.

And, sometimes, just to be a total goofball, I'll refer to The City as "Frisco." I always do it with an evil grin, though. :evil:

Is it Sunday yet?

(san fran-sis'-ko)... c'mon it's only 4 syllables!

In a sentence: "Excorsising the demons of their heartbreaking loss to the Rams, San Francisco is going to hand Cleveland their lunch this Sunday"

or

"Last weekend, dB and I met for a hearty, greasy-spoon breakfast in Alameda, a lovely town in the San Francisco Bay."

or

"With the exception of Gannon, all of the Raiders best players came from San Francisco."

:P:cool:

-dave

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

Archived