Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:Game time will be at 5:30 PM (PST), so let's meet at 4:30 PM.
I suggest that we make it closer to 5PM - I don't wanna risk missing the end of the 1PM game if it's interesting.

dB

It seems more likely the game would be over by 5PM rather than 4:30, wouldn't it???

Originally posted by steadyb:

It seems more likely the game would be over by 5PM rather than 4:30, wouldn't it???

Well, the 1PM game could be over as early as 4, but they frequently do run over the three hour mark. It'll almost definitely be over by 4:30, though...

It takes me about 20 minutes to get to YD's, so I'm just playing it safe.

I wonder what games we'll get Sunday...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Llarion:

Are you sure it wasn't "Any team with a front office too dumb and stubborn to get a good restructuring for one of the hardest hitting and best overall secondary men to play the game and having to cut him for cap space..."

Yeah, I'd worry about that. ;)

Ummmmm

From SI.com

The Patriots had been trying to get Milloy and his agent, Carl Poston, to agree to a contract restucturing prior to cutting him. Now, they'll be able to spread his salary-cap hit over two years -- $1.4 million this year and $4.2 million next year.
They tried.

Now he's actually having to settle for less money because he was a stubborn bastard who wouldn't agree to a restructuring.

Yeah, it'll hurt. Oh well. So Ty Law has to carry more of the secondary load, and Chris Akins has to step up and show everyone that even a Lawyer is replacable... :)

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Yeah, it'll hurt. Oh well. So Ty Law has to carry more of the secondary load, and Chris Akins has to step up and show everyone that even a Lawyer is replacable... :)

Well, it'll definitely hurt temporarily, when Lawyer takes your playbook to Buffalo for Sunday. We'll see if they can do anything against it, though! ;)

- Jeff

Ok so you guys aren't going to give the phone number to YD's huh?

Yes, I will be calling when the Freak is racing down the sidelines with Gannon's 3rd pick, but I promise I'll also call when the Raiders are up too, so it's fair..

Anyway, this weekend looks like bad blood weekend. Tonight's game...bad blood! Sunday night...bad blood. Monday, bad blood!

Most of the animosity goes far beyond the championship games as well. Gonna be fun and plenty bloody.

TROLL . . . ish.

Actually the number is posted at the top of page 14 in Geoff's info post. I'm not a Raider fan so I'll welcome the call!

I hope to see everyone listed there and hopefully some others. Kiwi Dave wont be there by the way, his daughter is in a talent show on Sunday night.

C'mon Weasel, this is your 3rd chance, dont live up to your no-show reputation! ;)

John

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Well, it'll definitely hurt temporarily, when Lawyer takes your playbook to Buffalo for Sunday. We'll see if they can do anything against it, though! ;)

- Jeff

Bah!

If there's anything I've learned about Billichick in the four years I've watched him coach this team, it's that his playbook is subject to change at a moment's notice. I'd be willing to bet he throws out the whole thing and draws up a completely new defensive scheme just for the Bills.

flyscots, thanx for the info. I should have known Geoff was up to his usual thoughtfulness.

Griff, hey do you think the Pats will do all that? Is there time? I can't see Milloy being able to play more than a few series here and there, or maybe just special situations. As far as the playbook, I think it's the Pats offensive plays that is the concern. Remember the Gruden bowl.

TROLL . . . ish.

Okay, whether I show up or not Sunday (which still remains to be seen), I thought you'd enjoy the list of the top 25 kickers (according to SportsTicker).

1. David Akers, Eagles

2. Martin Gramatica, Buccaneers

3. Ryan Longwell, Packers

4. John Carney, Saints

5. Jay Feely, Falcons

6. Adam Vinatieri, Patriots

7. Mike Vanderjagt, Colts

8. Sebastian Janikowski, Raiders

9. Paul Edinger, Bears

10. Joe Nedney, Titans

11. Jason Elam, Broncos

12. Morten Andersen, Chiefs

13. Olindo Mare, Dolphins

14. Jeff Wilkins, Rams

15. Jeff Reed, Steelers

16. John Hall, Redskins

17. Rian Lindell, Seahawks

18. Jason Hanson, Lions

19. Phil Dawson, Browns

20. Matt Stover, Ravens

21. Doug Brien, Jets

22. Josh Brown, Seahawks

23. Steve Christie, Chargers

24. Jeff Chandler, 49ers

25. John Kasay, Panthers

Boy, do I disagree with a lot on this list, but what do I know? ;)

- Jeff

Gentlemen (and Ladies, if there are any on this thread)...

The 2003-04 season starts in about 15 minutes, and I want to take this moment to wish you and your favorite team the best of luck over the season. Unless, of course, your team is playing the Raiders, in which case I wish them to die horrible deaths. Or unless your team is the Cowboys or the Broncos, who I hate on general principle.

But other than that, I wish you luck and happiness. Oh, unless your team is another AFC West team, like the Chiefs or Chargers. Or the Seahawks, even though they're NFC now.

Or the Pats or the Bucs. Hate them.

So best of luck to you. or not.

GO RAIDERS! JUST WIN, BABY!

:D

- Jeff

I'm sure the kicker list is based on well variegated and robust data :freak: but if my team's season is on the line, there's only one name I'd want to see lining up the kick: Vinateri, baby.

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Okay, whether I show up or not Sunday (which still remains to be seen), I thought you'd enjoy the list of the top 25 kickers (according to SportsTicker).

1. David Akers, Eagles

2. Martin Gramatica, Buccaneers

3. Ryan Longwell, Packers

4. John Carney, Saints

5. Jay Feely, Falcons

6. Adam Vinatieri, Patriots

7. Mike Vanderjagt, Colts

8. Sebastian Janikowski, Raiders

9. Paul Edinger, Bears

10. Joe Nedney, Titans

11. Jason Elam, Broncos

12. Morten Andersen, Chiefs

13. Olindo Mare, Dolphins

14. Jeff Wilkins, Rams

15. Jeff Reed, Steelers

16. John Hall, Redskins

17. Rian Lindell, Seahawks

18. Jason Hanson, Lions

19. Phil Dawson, Browns

20. Matt Stover, Ravens

21. Doug Brien, Jets

22. Josh Brown, Seahawks

23. Steve Christie, Chargers

24. Jeff Chandler, 49ers

25. John Kasay, Panthers

Boy, do I disagree with a lot on this list, but what do I know? ;)

- Jeff

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Any team with enough depth in the secondary to cut an All-pro corner like Milloy is definitely a team to worry about.

Pats 42, Bills 0 - Drew Bledsoe gets sacked 5 times and throws 4 picks, two of which are returned for touchdowns.

I think you can expect the pats to be pretty awesome, but it's not like the Bills are waiting to roll over. That looks like a wicked division.

Geez. What a pitiful start to my fantasy season. Curtis Martin - 48 rush yards, 2 rec for -7 yards.

Blech.

Man, did Betts look good tonight! Same plays that Canidate was getting 3 yards on, Betts was smashing through for 5, 6, 7!

Later, when they had sufficiently worn the Jets down, Canidate started breaking out runs, but Betts was strong from the start of the game!

Wow, that came down to being a hell of a game at the end. I'd like to point out that I've started the season 0-1 in my predictions for about 10 years running...thank you very much. :freak:

Nice game by Ramsey...that 24 yard run in the fourth was impressive. I'll tell you what wasn't impressive: 158 total yards by the J-E-T-S, yikes.

But football is back, and I'm a happy camper. :thu::)

- Jeff

Ladell Betts did look awesome, kinda like vintage Bettis (Betts, Bettis, hmmmm :rolleyes: )

I laughed my ass off as Coles kept lighting up the Jets secondary in the 1st half.

Oh, and Lavar Arrington is starting to be scary good at backer. Every other play he was in on a tackle it seemed.

....sigh.... Ah, football.

Now lets see dem Steelers beat the piss out of the world's most conceited coach, Billick and the Ravens :thu::thu::thu:

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Awful play-calling by the Jets. They deserved to lose. :P

Agreed.

At times they looked pretty decent, but too often the Jets looked like they were playing Dungy-Ball circa 2000-2001 ... where running plays are painfully predictable and ineffective, and where 3rd and 8 is a common problem, to which the common answer is to throw a 6-yard pass :rolleyes:

Good luck, Jets fans.

-dave

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

The Jets looked like they were trying not to get embarrased. Way too much safe play calling. That type of offensive attack only works if you have a crushing defense like a few of the recent super bowl champs. if the Jets do not grow a set of nads it's going to be a long season for them. the skins looked decent though. Arrington was definitely making his presence known and betts looked like a handfull to tackle.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Biggus: I'm counting on that - my other starting running back is the mighty Zereoue - I NEED him to light up the Ravens' D on Sunday...
Hmmm. I don't see Zereoue getting more than 60-70 yards on the ground. We'll see

GO STEELERS!

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Far be it from me to defend Paul Hackett (who is pretty much reviled around here) but Vinny hardly played at all in the preseason, has no established relationship with Moss or Conway, so the conservative approach wasn't in itself a bad idea.

However, the situational play calling and on-field decision making was atrocious and indefensible...I mean, not exactly indefensible because it was actually pretty easily defended, so I guess I mean...inexcusable?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by dave-G:

3rd and 8 is a common problem, to which the common answer is to throw a 6-yard pass :rolleyes:

Ha! Ain't that the truth!

Still, football is like sex...even when it's bad, it's really pretty good. :)

- Jeff

Yeah the approah wasn't bad, but the 3rd down execution was awful.. 3rd and 5 and you throw for 3...over and over again? Vinny stunk up the joint.

Hackett is a shit coordinator. Yes I know Vin isn't the prototype west coast QB and Chad really is, but damn, what a play to call on 3rd and 1.. Offensive 'game' calling gets an F-. Madden was right Vinny should have audibled! I really feel bad for Herman Edwards, what a long year it's going to be.

Old, jolly and even baffoonish at times, Madden still is the finest broadcaster in football.

Lisa G really should watch more football in her spare time. Melissa, Leslie and Pam O know the game and it shows.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived