Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

Originally posted by Llarion:

BTW, the Buccos looked like ass last night. Well, Brad did quite well, but the D was soft. Humph.

Phil, I wouldn't worry too much. Not only is it preseason, but Tampa Bay was playing against the Rams. Does anyone really expect St. Louis to be as bad this year as they were last season? At their best, the Rams are capable of making any team look bad. (As a Packers fan, I am painfully aware of this!)

Kurt Warner looks healthy again and Marc Bulger's a great backup. St. Louis' defense looks good too. Last week, they held Oakland to just seven points. I have little doubt that the Rams will be contenders again this year.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only is it preseason, but Tampa Bay was playing against the Rams
So? The previous 5 Bucs games agains the Rams:

1994 season: Bucs 24, Rams 14

1999 NFC Championship game: Rams 11, Bucs 5

12/19/00: Bucs 38, Rams 35

11/27/01: Bucs 24, Rams 17

09/23/02: Bucs 26, Rams 14

Those last 3 wins were against a top-of-his-game Warner. Well, OK, not last year really, :) but the others?

"Oooooh, The Rams" is no excuse. We've had their number for a decade. The 1999 championship game had two very questionable calls, and could have EASILY gone the other way the mighty Rams were held to one measly TD that night.

It's preseason, yes, but that looked sickening. I will say though, props to Warner, he looked superhuman again. Good to see, I was so bummed that he was down last year. I like Warner a lot; he's a classy guy.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

So Holcomb's the man in Cleveland because Butch Davis "had a hunch." I " had a hunch" too last year when I saw Kelly play and compared him to Couch. What does Couch have left on his contract? he might be moving soon. Decisions like this tend to create permanent estrangement. Couch goes from being the man, 1st overall pick, to being a backup.

Of course, some people don't remember that Parcells slected Scott Bruner as his starter over Simms, but Phil and the Tuna eventually worked that one out.

BTW, I think Phil Simms has become the best color commentator out there.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Another great day of training camp.

Three fights in five minutes at Giants camp

Check out the article...seems like some major internal strife, and Fassel is SERIOUSLY pissed off about it.

"I told them, 'I already had to do three guys today and if I get one more today you're out of camp, I'm sending you home. You will not play again for me the rest of this preseason. You're out of camp,"' Fassel said.

"I made the point if you are too stupid to understand, you are not going to play for me," he said.

Yikes.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Biggus:

Also, anyone see that Bettis is no longer the starting RB for da Steelers?

Yes...pity. Did you know he is second on the all-time Steelers rushing list beind Franco and tenth in NFL all-time?

I think they saw Zereoue's performance last year and realized that The Bus isn't getting any younger, and just made the call. But what truly sucks is that Bettis (who is "too old" for the starting job) is four years younger than me. Me. That's just wrong.

- Jeff

With enough yardage, he could have conceivably moved past two or three people on the all time list (including, I think, Franco Harris)...

Bring on Tommy Maddox and the passing game :)

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Originally posted by meccajay:

Not such a bad thing though.

How'd you like to be a dog tired defense and see a fresh Bettis buckling his chin strap running onto the field in the 4th quarter?

I think that is very, very true.

- Jeff

The sad part is, we don't have the horses on the O-line to really run it up the gut like true Steeler football. I think that's why Cowher went with Zeroeoe and Riermsma- more geared towards the pass. Bettis has not impressed me at all preseason. Zeroeoe and Verron Hayes looked best at RB....

With enough yardage, he could have conceivably moved past two or three people on the all time list (including, I think, Franco Harris)...

Well, let's see...

PLAYER.............YEARS.........YARDS

1 Emmitt Smith.....13............17,162

2 Walter Payton....13............16,726

3 Barry Sanders....10............15,269

4 Eric Dickerson...11............13,259

5 Tony Dorsett.....12............12,739

6 Jim Brown.........9............12,312

7 Marcus Allen.....16............12,243

8 Franco Harris....13............12,120

9 Thurman Thomas...13............12,055

10 JEROME BETTIS...10............11,542

So, Bettis averaged 1,154 yards per season over his career. Even if we use his worst year as an average (637 yards) and say he could play another five years, he'd end up with 14,727 yards. That would place him fourth all-time behind Emmitt, Walter and Barry.

In fact, he'd likely pass Franco this year, with a decent season (578 yards away). Wow.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Postman:

Wow, Barry Sanders averaged over 1500 yards per season! That's pretty good.

Barry Sanders was God.

Had he stayed healthy, he would have crushed every record in rushing. Which also makes me wonder where a healthy Bo Jackson would have ended up on this list after a full career.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Which also makes me wonder where a healthy Bo Jackson would have ended up on this list after a full career.

:mad::cry::freak:

Didja have to go and bring up Bo? I'm still bummed over losing him...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Don't remember Barry getting hurt or being injured at the end. Just kinda got bored with football(tired of losing)and walked away.

You know, you're right. For some reason I was thinking that there was something with his knees at the end, but he did just kind of end it abruptly right before the start of the 1999 season.

His statement at the time: "My desire to exit the game is greater than my desire to remain in it. I have searched my heart through and through and feel comfortable with this decision."

Huh.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Not such a bad thing though.

How'd you like to be a dog tired defense and see a fresh Bettis buckling his chin strap running onto the field in the 4th quarter?

I think that is very, very true.

- Jeff

That's how the Bucs commonly use Alstott too...

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Originally posted by Llarion:

That's how the Bucs commonly use Alstott too...

In what universe? :rolleyes:;)

Alstott plays on and off the whole game, man....he may not start, but he's always in and out - at least, that's the case in every game I've seen...

dB

They used him a lot on 3rd down, and in late game situations to pound through tired defenses to keep them honest and keep the attack balanced. They also platooned hin, Pittman, and Stecker a lot where they didn't know how the opposition's run D was going to react.

This year though, they've been lining Alstott up as a receiver, he was in the bunch formation once, and a wideout once in the Rams game! Weird, you think? Well, his rookie year he led the team in receptions.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Last year, Garner (RB/Raiders) had 91 receptions for 941 receiving yards. The mighty WR Tim Brown had less (81 receptions for 930 yards).

I think the Gruden offense calls for mixing up the personnel to deliver the unexpected. Look at the time he played Sapp as a tight end last year for an example.

- Jeff

Right you are... If I remember, he lined up 9 times. they ran his way 6 times, and scored 6 touchdowns... Trying to find the stats to document that, but that's what I remember hearing...

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

FWIW, Bettis, when he had the ball in Steelers vs Da Boys ran better than Zeroeoe. Also, Maddox looked sharp last night. Threw for one TD, had another one to Perplexico ;) Burress called back for a hold. Steelers are self destructing when it comes to penalties. Not very disciplined play. Charlie Batch stunk it up big time when he played... I gotta give Parcells credit, too. It looks like the Boys are light years ahead of where they ended last year already.

FWIW, Bettis, when he had the ball in Steelers vs Da Boys ran better than Zeroeoe. Also, Maddox looked sharp last night. Threw for one TD, had another one to Perplexico ;) Burress called back for a hold. Steelers are self destructing when it comes to penalties. Not very disciplined play. Charlie Batch stunk it up big time when he played... I gotta give Parcells credit, too. It looks like the Boys are light years ahead of where they ended last year already.

I watched that game too. They kept talking about which QB Tuna was gonna choose, I couldn't help but think he wishes he could choose Tommy Maddox and be done with it.

Dallas looked pretty diciplined for the most part so I do agree the Tuna effect is starting to show a lil. You gotta know that he realizes he's not gonna win much this year so it doesn't matter who the QB is. Next year or the year after he'll get him a stud, or a nice 1st round draft pick and bring back old Vinny T to player/coach.

The Steelers 1st team looked crisp, and there young db's look good too.

On a side note, Aikman's getting to be a pretty good commentator. I never got used to his mumblemouth thing but when you listen, he makes some nice points. Maybe is cause he knows more than anybody else when it comes to Dallas etc.

TROLL . . . ish.

Yep, I saw it, too...

Despite my intense dislike for the Cowgirls, I also felt that they seemed to be showing signs of life, especially their D. I'll bet they'll still get whomped by the Iggles. :thu: I will actually be pulling for Dallas when they play Jeremy Horse's Ass and the Giants, though...

Pittsburgh looked to be, well, Pittsburgh. I don't see any reason that they won't take their division yet again this year...of course, it IS just pre-season... ;)

BTW, two stats about the Steelers that impressed me:

1) Only two coaches (Noll, Cowher) since 1969. :eek:

2) Cowher's Steelers have won their division 7 out of 11 years he's been the coach. Not too shabby...

BTW - Biggus...Perplexico? Pretty funny - I may never call him anything else ever again. :D

dB

Despite my intense dislike for the Cowgirls
It took me a long second to realize you weren't talking about the dallas cowboy cheerleaders. I don't care for the boys in silver and blue, but if anyone starts messing with those mini-skirt clad cowgirls on the sidelines (and I don't mean the tuna) they're gonna have a fight on their hands :freak:

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Also, Maddox looked sharp last night. Threw for one TD, had another one to Perplexico ;) Burress called back for a hold.

Perplexico! A-ha-ha-ha-ha! I've always just called him Plexiglass.

Charlie Batch stunk it up big time when he played...
Man, did you see the hit the guy took when Batch floated him a low-trajectory pass up the middle? I thought the receiver's head was going to come clean off his body. Shit like that won't make you the popular QB in the locker room.

- Jeff

Archived