Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone live in their studio?

My big goal in 2003 is to buy a piece of commercial real estate that I can convert into a recording studio (personal use only) - but I also want to live there as well. I know I'm going to have to really check into zoning laws etc. I don't want to do the regular home with basement studio type deal. Has anyone else done this sort of thing? Any tips/suggestions? Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I didn't quite do that, but achieved pretty much the same thing. I bought a house with vacant land around it, then bought the lot next door and built the studio on it (attached to the house by a breezeway). I knew I was building a studio, the architecht and contractor knew it was a studio, as far as the county is concerned, it's a funny looking guest house - with 16 foot cielings and walls at weird angles. No complaints from the neighbors in the 3 years since it was finished. Scott

[quote]Originally posted by meriphew: [b]Has anyone else done this sort of thing? [/b][/quote]Aside from my room setup(where I live/sleep)my brother and I have a small studio/tracking room/mixing room that we share from time to time.We didn't go too crazy doing it the right way so I won't be much help there.These day's,were both too lazy to use it that much and are constantly taking stuff back into our rooms,but were both players/composers,so I guess it would be different if we were trying to generate $$$ from an engineer/producer angle which neither of us really are.We still use it(albiet rarely)for occasional tracking of guitar/amp or guest drummer stuff sometimes.But to answer your original question,I live/sleep/record in the same space,albiet a somewhat large and well equipped one though.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I went with something close to what Scott did... I bought a house on a third of an acre with a large concrete block barn which I gutted and converted. Fortunately, we're zoned for business / agriculture / residential, and it's County, not City, which made things easier.

My house just sorta grew into a studio- actually the studio consists of two fairly big rooms that are attached to my house. It's pretty cool to "go to work" and just walk through the old back door. We live in the country on 30 acres and in a county that is fairly hands-off regarding "boondock" zoning. It would be nice if my hillbilly neighbor would lose maybe half of the boats and old cars out of his yard, though. Is there zoning rules for that? Like a limit on how many car engines one can suspend from trees?

[quote]Originally posted by Infusion: [b]How much square footage did you guys allocate for your studios ?[/b][/quote]Aprox. 1600 sq foot (150 sq metre). /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I have always had some kind of recording space in my home. The good news is; you don't have to drive to the studio. The bad news is; you are always at work.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

My place is about 2100 square feet, though I do not live in it. I do have a pullout couch/bed for those times when I don't feel like driving home. The big plus is that it's in an industrial area so I can be blasting 24/7.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by Infusion: [b]Here in NYC, space is at a premium. How much square footage did you guys allocate for your studios ?[/b][/quote]It's about 1,250 Sq. Ft. (it's a 25' X 50' building) with plenty of room to add on to it, which we'll probably do at some point or another.

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard: [b] http://paperladder.tripod.com/index.htm This is a link to my coworkers studio built in a detached garage. Pretty cool.[/b][/quote]Geenard, that does like a cool space. And really cutting edge. I mean, on their gear list, under "tracking," they claim to have a Pentium 6. Wow. That's ahead of the curve. ;)
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hey, I've lived in a 700 sq. ft. apartment in New York City for over 16 years. It's a large studio apartment with 9' ceilings. In the last few years it has turned into a 'studio'. Hammond organ, drums, Sony DMX-R100, etc., etc. I've gotten away with murder for years. I don't exploit it. I only record live drums during the middle of the day and, man do I do it FAST!! Other than that...never one complaint. Three years ago the landlord took me to court and got my rent stabalized lease. I was only paying $765.00 (Lexington Ave./doorman building). It went up to $900.00 for one year then jumped to $1300.00 for the next two. Still well under market value. Well....last Saturday I received a letter stating they elect NOT to renew my lease and to vacate by December 31st., 2002. Obviously I am completely freaked out. First of all, I have tickets to visit my family in Florida from Dec.20 to Jan.4. I'm not going. I do have a lawyer and we will fight this, but........wow, life is crazy. I do need to relocate and turn this into a real business. But...NEXT WEEK! I need time. Lots of it. I've lived in Manhattan for 23 years. It looks like they're gonna' drive me out. Anyone with any suggestions regarding: New York housing laws, ideas of what to do 'move wise', etc. will be greatly appreciated. I am in shock. [Anyone who lives in NYC will feel my pain, I'm sure] Sincerely, Benjy King 212.684.1172 benjy_king@hotmail.com
Benjy

Benjy, unfortunately it's pretty consistent from state to state that the landlords only have to give you a 30 day notice. You may want to see if they'll give you an extra rent period; it sounds like you've been a good tenant.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Er, my house has my tiny studio in one of the bedrooms. It's not a commercial studio. Does that count? Sometimes I sleep in the studio, but quite rarely.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Er, my house has my tiny studio in one of the bedrooms. It's not a commercial studio. Does that count? Sometimes I sleep in the studio, but quite rarely.[/b][/quote]Ken - That's kind of the situation that I'm in now, but it just isn't cutting it anymore. I need more room and the ability to crank it up without upsetting anyone.

meriphew- such a situation is called a "live/work" in zoning parlance. i don't know what the live/work rules are in seattle, but around here there are commercial zones with designated areas which can have live/work units in them. i don't know of any recording studios around here set up that way (though there may be some), but i know a number of artists (painters, sculptors and the like) who have such units. i did some serious looking into this about a year ago. my plan wasn't to have me live in the studio (i like where i am at), but rather have my main assistant live there as part (most) of his compensation (provides security very much needed in the parts of town i could afford).he was looking for a new place to live at the time and i was looking to expand space. but then he got this great opportunity in london, england and the dotcom bust has burt my recording business, so out the window went my expansion plans. however, i did determine that in this are getting a live/work and setting in up as a recording studio was very much a thing that could be done. and it it also made very good finanical sense. most live/work designated areas are in commercial sections of the city and usually in run down areas that the city is trying to rehab- having artists live there seems to be attractive to some cities. oh ya, our estimed mayor (jerry brown, governor moonbeam himself) lives in a live/work unit.

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard: [b] http://paperladder.tripod.com/index.htm This is a link to my coworkers studio built in a detached garage. Pretty cool.[/b][/quote]Geenard, that does like a cool space. And really cutting edge. I mean, on their gear list, under "tracking," they claim to have a Pentium 6. Wow. That's ahead of the curve. ;) [/b][/quote]Hence the foreword in the entrance to the site with their mission statement. You ought to see mine.....pretty primitive!!!!! But its cool that folks love music enough to offer dirt cheap (and sometimes free) recording. The owner is a superb guitarist/multi-instrumentalist and an all around great guy. I don't even know what a Pentium 6 is??? Is that right???? Dunno. Well whatever you ain't got you can borrow from friends. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Dan - The (main) room is kind of a squeezed hexagon with a variety of treatment. Depending on where I move things, I can get a variety of sounds. It's a live end - dead end kind of configuration with moveable 4 x 8 absorption/diffusion panels, heavy wool carpets (both hanging and on the floor - on the wood floor end of the room) and some reflective 5 x 4 gobos strewn around amongst overstuffed furniture etc. etc. It has a rather warm sound over-all and I tend to keep things such that the rt60 is about a second - there's enough 'space' around things without sounding like you're in a large cave. Scott

one other thought that might be helpful. in the local papers here, in the commericial real estate section of the classifieds in most of the local papers (eg, Berkeley express) there is a section listing labeled "live/work". might also be the case in Seattle. Live/work spaces were the "in" thing in San Fransisco a few years ago (where it is still somewhat of a controversy), but they are very much part of the "art scene" on this side of the bay.

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

Years ago, I was trying to decide on 2 alternatives; one, to buy a 2-story commercial building with an upstairs apartment, or two, to build a house with detached studio on unzoned land 5 miles from town. In either case, I would be protected by local ordinances regarding the operation of a studio as well as being surrounded by uses that would not generate any complaints. I decided against the commercial building (1000 s.f. upstairs and downstairs) because of its downtown location requiring a lot more sound iso work and the building itself needing major renovation; it was about 100 yrs. old and while structurally sound, needed HVAC and a complete iso construction job, plus turning the upstairs into a quality living space. But it was a bargain for $60,000, on the busiest intersection in a 110,000 population county. I also wound up getting married and having a family, which the upstairs apartment woudn't have worked out well for. I spent about double that amount on buying 2.5 acres of land and building a 1700 s.f. house and separate 1000 s.f. studio building. Of course, with a blank slate, you are much less restricted on what you can build, rather than being confined to an existing space. I could conceivably knock it all down and build an airplane-hangar size studio if I had the money. The land is there to do it. For a single person or DINK couple, the commercial building/upstairs apartment route would still be appealing. RP

I bought a rundown rental in a homeowner neighborhood. They were so glad to see the place fixed up that they don't mind the occasional cluster of cars when I'm tracking a band. I turned the front yard into a circle driveway/parking lot, and I put up a double window facing the street to cut down on car noise. Also installed new heat/AC out in the backyard and have it ducted in under the floor. This way there's no rumble and you can run your heat/AC while you're tracking. People love the rustic wood paneling circa 1950 and the homey laidback atmosphere. The studio takes up half the house, with three adjoining rooms. The french doors afford good sight lines. All I have left is the kitchen and a bedroom, but I don't mind, since music is my life, and my GF lives elsewhere. It's R1 zoning, which means that I could be restricted to only one visitor at a time, but that would only happen as a result of neighbor complaints, and if it comes to that I'll just tell them they have their choice - me and my studio or back to a rental again.
Mr.Dunc

Archived