Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In EAR monitoring

Harm_keyboards

Who does use in ear monitoring for keyboards and vocals in a "small" coverband. My Behringer B-300 (15" 2-way powered) monitor sounds ok, but there isn't always that much space to place it.

Now i wanna know how you people like in ear for that purpose.

Whoch brand do you prefer/use?

Thanks!

Harm

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had a couple threads on Anderton's SSS Forum not too long ago. I'm using the Shure PSM 400 and am very happy with it. I went this route when I realized the sharp cracking noise that was hurting my ears was fret noise... from the bass player!! :mad::freak:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I'm using molded ear monitors from Ultimate Ears, the double-driver model.

They're wonderful, particularly if you place a mic at each corner of the stage aimed toward the audience. Add a touch of that to your mix and you'll never go back to live amps.

I also have the luxury of a personal monitor mix, so I can place each instrument wherever I want it across the stereo field. Oh----it's good.

;)

k.

I'm the PSM 400's too. I've got the wired models, and have my own monitor mix (though it's mono) and it's great.

I had to play a gig where I was nestled up next to the drummers ride and crash, and I went home with no ringing.

Our monitor system is good enough that I don' even bring an amp to gigs or rehearsal anymore, you may want to have one onstage if your group doesn't have a decent monitor setup.

I've been considering this setup myself. I've had some questions....

To have the keys and the rest of the instrumentation in your ear mix (if you are the only one using IEM) do you run a monitor 2 out of the board for the mix? What is the best way? Everyone else uses stage monitors.

Also...has anyone checked out the "new" Rolls IEMs? The price is right...but what about quality? :confused:

We're using the Sennheiser system and love it. Our Drummer and Bass player told me that they never want another live monitor ever! We're actually saving to make the jump to a separate monitor board so everyone will have their own stereo mix instead of a mono mix. Just a few thousand buckaroos away. I'm still experimenting with audience mics for some feedback because we quite often have a very vocal crowd!!

Rick

Originally posted by Joe Tee:

To have the keys and the rest of the instrumentation in your ear mix (if you are the only one using IEM) do you run a monitor 2 out of the board for the mix? What is the best way? :confused:

I've done it both ways. At first I took my vocals and keys and put them into my own personal in-ear system, then raised the volume of each until I had a somewhat decent balance (my bandmates were so loud the leakage alone thru the "sealed" earbuds was enough to hear everyone). Now I'm using the main mixing board, its a Mackie with four Aux sends, so each guy in the band gets one send and can tailor the mix to his liking. This gives you a better overall sound but less control; as certain members start playing louder as the night goes on I have to get the attention of the sound guy to turn those particular instruments back down, and he's usually chatting it up with some female type. :mad:

There's a couple "personal" mixers advertised in the magazines now, where each bandmember has eight or sixteen dials and can create their own mix on the fly! Someday....

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Joe Tee:

I've been considering this setup myself. I've had some questions....

To have the keys and the rest of the instrumentation in your ear mix (if you are the only one using IEM) do you run a monitor 2 out of the board for the mix? What is the best way? Everyone else uses stage monitors.

Also...has anyone checked out the "new" Rolls IEMs? The price is right...but what about quality? :confused:

We use a Furman headphone system. It gives you a stereo main mix and the choice of 4 mono submixes. each player can adjust to taste. They also make a 16 sumix version.

http://www.furmansound.com/pro/hdphn/

Archived