Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "D Song"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "D Song" (submitted by Marino), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Marino!!!! That was absolutely beautiful!!! Please tell us what piano you played, and how the composition came about!!! Also, anything you can tell us about where it was recorded and any recording techniques, and equipment used to record the tune would be great.

Again, very beautiful as well as technically interesting piece all around...

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Beautiful composition and playing, no doubt about it. Very nice.

Sound-wise...I might be going out on a limb here, but these sound a bit like sampled instruments to me...? I'd be surprised to learn that either piano or percussion were real. I don't mean that as a criticism--it's fantastic work--I'm just really curious. Of course, hearing it streamed from mp3.com, one does tend to miss out on some of the fine detail.

Marino, please let us know how you did it!

-chad

Thanks a lot everybody for your kind words. The story of this piece is a bit complicated... Ready?

It started as a solo piano piece - it was written about two months ago, and I had played it live in that fashion a couple of times already. It's a rather simple jazz tune; it has none of the knotty changes and arrangements I tend to write for my jazz group. This one follows simpler chords, both in structure (sparse modal frameworks) and in how they move.

'D Song' is written with somebody in mind, and in that perspective, I was surprised to read that somebody found it a "dark" tune... Dark?! To me, "furiously joyous" is closer to my intentions..! :)

OK so since most people seemed to like the tune, and I enjoyed to play it a lot too, I decided to use it for the compilation. Here was where trouble started... :rolleyes:

I had the idea to make it a trio piece, with the warm soumds of fretless bass, and percussion rather than a drum kit. I know I could trust the musicians, both old friends and long-time musical companions. I absolutely wanted to record live, all toghether... But the Yamaha grand in the studio I had booked turned out to be unplayable. I talked about that in another thread, where it pratically started the trend to postpone the deadline... :D

Unfortunately, we couldn't agree on another date in a different studio, to follow my vision of live recording... Plus, the other studios with a good piano were rather expensive. So I used an emergency procedure:

The bass player and me played toghether to a click, we did some editing/polishing, then later the percussionist overdubbed his part.

So what piano I played, you ask... Yes it's a sample - I confess. :eek: It's my favorite sampled piano, Mike Martin's Steinway D from his KeySolutions sample CD for the Kurzweil. I played it from my Fatar Studio 2001, while the bassist played his 5-string fretless through a Parseck preamp. We played toghether into an Akai DPS12, then we transferred the files to a studio (the "original" one I had booked), where the percussionist played his parts into ProTools.

There are two separate percussion part: The underlying groove is an African Talking Drum played by hand (instead than with the usual wooden stick) and the jazz cymbals-type part is, indeed, a couple of cymbals, plus other nameless metal things of various odd shapes. :D

There are also a few overdubbed percussion 'colors'.

Right after the perc session, we had a quick hour to mix. Well, it turned out that the talking drum interferred quite a bit with the intelligibility of the piano middle-low register, so we had to almost EQ it out of the tune...

In a similar way, the bass part clashed slightly in intonation with some low piano sections. That was my fault. I was used to play this song as a solo piano, so I couldn't help myself to play down there! Anyway, something had to give, so we also EQed the bass rather heavily.

The mastering was very subtle, almost inaudible...

I can't say I'm really satisfied with the final sound... We had too little time to mix. But I think it's acceptable.

But I must say I'm really happy with the playing. It's really a joy when your musicians follow your ideas with this kind of enthusiasm...! I'm a kind of harasser when I record, but they followed me without losing it for a second. Let me thank them here:

Luca Barberini - Fretless Bass

Massimo Carrano - Percussion

Thank you guys, you are great. :thu:

That's it... I told you it was complicated :D

Carlo

Archived