Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "A Mother's Love"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "A Mother\'s Love" (submitted by Lincoln Ross), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou you very much gentlemen.

I've paisted below a little history of the song taken from my mp3.com page. Haven't talked with Kristen since those days but I did hear some time ago that she married a musician and moved out of the country.

The story behind this song still amazes me.

I had been booked through an agent to do a gig that ended up being canceled. However, Nancy my agent, called back and said we were going to be paid anyway. Well I don't know about you folks, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've been paid under these circumstances. Anyway, when I arrived at Nancy's office to get my check I said to Nancy, "You know I'm gonna use this money to record my mother's day song even if I have to sing it myself". (It was the first week in May the year 1990)

So Nancy's secretary, Kristen, overheard this and says, "Well I sing".

To make a long story short, Kristen, after hearing the demo I mailed her, agreed to go to the studio with me a few days later. It was then that we rehearsed and performed the song together for the first time. I had never heard her sing before but since I had this extra dough I figured I'd take the chance. We recorded straight to two track and kept maybe the third take. The whole session including running a few copies took an hour and forty minutes.

Needless to say, when I heard Kristen, I knew instantly my good fortune had exceeded just plain luck. You know the old saying, "Count your blessings".

Sounds like synthetic one moment and like real thing (especially in higher register) another. What instrument?
That's my Roland RD 250s I got in 1988. Also the string layer in sections is a Roland MT32.

BTW I was using the MT32 last Saturday on a gig and right after I plugged it up before the set, for some odd reason, the chord leading from the power supply to the module started to get hot and the rbber began to melt at a small section. It also gave off a little smoke. I don't even think I had turned the unit on yet. Anyway I noticed it right away so I unplugged it. I wrapped that section of the chord with a small piece of duck tape and luckily I made it through the gig and another one Sunday without it happening again.

Anyone have an idea what could cause something like that? Before this happened, the chord did not appear to be damaged, at least not from the outside. I guess I just need a new power pack (if they are still available) since it would probably cost just as much to fix this one.

Here again I was pretty lucky because when I detected that electrical burn smell I just knew the unit was probably shot for the night. It would have been a misery too because I use the MT32 for my bass, strings, and organ sounds when I play solo gigs.

She's got quite a voice! I'm also interested in your production aspects. What mic was she on? Any outboards, preamps, effects? Etc...

The piano, though masterfully played, seemed reverbish to me. Perhaps my sound system. The vocals are very warm and yummy.

Thanks.

Rick

Yes Kristen Guldseth (her maiden name) is a natural talent for sure. Actually I got her to work with me again on and original Christmas song that same year. Hopefully I can track her down even though it's been over ten years since we last talked.

What mic was she on? Any outboards, preamps, effects? Etc...

I believe the studio used a Neuman mike and Lexicon reverb on Kristen. I forget what make the console was but it was one of those big 24 track units you find in pro studios. We were at Lion & Fox Studios who at that time were in DC but have since moved to Virginia.

The piano, though masterfully played, seemed reverbish to me.
Thanks but I was lucky I got through the accompaniment without messing up. (I'm a trombonist who plays a little piano) We recorded live and the Roland RD 250s was plugged directly to the board (no amp). The engineer, whose name escapes me right now, mixed and added effects and whatever right on the spot since we were going straight to two track.

You're a trombone player? Wow, you ought to consider a piano job, you're great! I must say I applaude you for your composition, recording and all. I never get mine to turn out that well. Most of these guys have a gazillion dollars and tons of smarts in this recording stuff. Please disregard the reverbish thing. You did GREAT! :thu:

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived