Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Mr. Burns"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Mr. Burns" (submitted by nelz), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks KC!

I am suprised at how little bottom registered in the MP3 conversion. I know, I know everyone hates how their songs transfer but all I'm hearing is the high end. dB: Do you hear the noticable loss of bass when compared to the aiff version as well? I'm thinking of re-eqing it and sending it back to you basesd on the mp3 version. PLMK if I should for the actual cd!

Anyway, I submitted a Keyboard Corner mix for 'Mr. Burns' as the original clocks in around 3 minutes and I really wanted to include Other Side of the Knot, too.

It's a sort of sci-fi theme, with wierd ufo efx in the background (I don't know how well these project in the Mp3 version though). No loop cd's (ever) or samples - 95% done in midi. I'd call it more ambient/IDM than trance, only because trance usually implies 10 minute plus epics. And, yes, Mr. Burns is named for Monty. ;)

Originally posted by nelz:

Thanks KC!

I am suprised at how little bottom registered in the MP3 conversion. I know, I know everyone hates how their songs transfer but all I'm hearing is the high end. dB: Do you hear the noticable loss of bass when compared to the aiff version as well?

Yes. Mp3.com only lets you post 128k versions...normally, I'd want to encode it higher, but oh, well...

Don't worry about it, nel - thaty's why we press the discs. ;-) We just put the mp3 files up as a sort of preview.

If you want to send a different version, I'd be glad to post it for you, though..

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Does it sound better to you?
:thu: Much! I still don't think the mp3 version does justice to the stereo fx or the arp., but now my graphic eq is registering...also the mod sine bass seems a lot lower than in the aiff version, but I digress. I am much happier dB - you are the bees knees!

And Kim - thank you for you compliments - hope you are still participating in the cd too! ~nel

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Yes. Mp3.com only lets you post 128k versions...normally, I'd want to encode it higher, but oh, well...

dB

It is a "Premium Artist" only service but as of earlier this year you CAN post to MP3.com at 192k!

- DJDM

What are you using on the drums for that wide stereo effect

Waves Stereo Imager on the panning/arp drum. Just a hard limiter or the lead drum. I only apply the waves plugs after all the panning/levels are done though - they can be a bit intense.

It was intended as a minimal piece, however, unlike the other tune I submitted, this one does have lots of tracks - albeit subtle and simple.

This feedback is phenomenal, everyone! It is really giving me confidence as I work towards releases my first cd project. A sincere thanks!

Why am I up this late?? Oh yeah, I'm listening to Nelz' music again. And again. Darn Nelz, this stuff is addictive. There's too much talent in this place. And Dave gave you your own little nook to hide in. ;)
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Thanks, synthguy! I've always wanted to make short elecronic 'pop' tunes - songs that make their impact in 2.5 minutes instead of the 10 minute plus electronic epics already out there. That's just the affect I'm trying to achieve and I'm so glad people are into it too.

Looking forward to checking out Mr. Burns. Maybe we should do a compilation of Simpsons-inspired music. :)

Um, forgive me for not paying attention in class - what was the cutoff date for submissions?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Maybe we should do a compilation of Simpsons-inspired music.
:D ....I wish I could say the song was inspired by the Simpson's, but it's just a silly name really. It just sounds rather creepy so I figured why not call it Mr. Burns? I do suffer from Simpsonitis which is a disorder by which all lifes occurances can be compared to or explained by a Simpson's episode ;)

Cool sounding little ditty. Congratulations! It seems you've developed your own style, Nel. ;)

Regarding those wide stereo drums... Have you checked them in mono? I mean they are so wide (almost out of phase for my ears :eek: ) that they may disappear when listening in mono... :(

Vlad

I am back.

Thanks, Vlad! I don't think the mp3 version really does justice to this song in particular and I do agree that the panning drum sounds too wide in this format. I guess I never intended it to be listened to in mono - just the stereo version. Is that something people consider when making music? I don't have a mp3 website yet, but should I take that into consideration when I do? I wouldn't pick this song based on the conversion. How do you suggest doing a mono check? ~nel

Originally posted by nelz:

I guess I never intended it to be listened to in mono - just the stereo version. Is that something people consider when making music?

Well, it never hurts to check mixes in mono.

This way you'll get better perspective on how various parts are balanced among each other, plus this will point on those possible "out of phase" problems.

How do you suggest doing a mono check? ~nel

I don't know what's your setup is... In my case I just push the "mono" button on my (analog) mixing board. Very handy.

:wave:

I am back.

Thanks for the tip, Vlad! Actually dB suggested doing a phase check as well when I was very unhappy with the original mp3. I hope you're participating in this cd too - not only 'cause your last cover tune kicked butt, but I think you'll enjoy Mr. B. much more in it's aiff glory. ~nel :wave:

Very, very nice.

I get impressed and loads of inspiration everytime I stop by here.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• 1 month later...

Archived