Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Dewpoint"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Dewpoint" (submitted by Phil "Llarion" Traynor, and tell us what you think! :thu:

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there!

Dewpoint is the first piece I've ever written that came from me noodling on the guitar. (my new Strat, in this case) Normally, my noodling is on the keyboard... :) I just hit a really nice progression and it built VERY quickly after that. I'd been listening to Grant Geissman and also to Rick Garner (www.mp3.com/rickgarner), which accounts for the smooth melodic influences. It's also the first piece of mine that was recorded with Roland V-drums (most of my catalog is done on drum computer, a couple songs are acoustic drums)... I love the way they record, you get the best of both worlds; pristine recording, and the "human" groove... :)

The brilliant artist, my good friend John Kelly (www.artistlaunch.com/johnkelly) took the guitar solo in the middle, I'm playing everything else.

This piece is one of the ones on my upcoming CD release (see my other thread for more about that...)

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Nice work fill. Even though the drums are V-drums, it's nice to hear a real drummer behind them. This is one of the best tunes you've done. I like it a lot!!!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I'm not big on smooth jazz (I think it is the music of the devil...) but I like this a lot it sounds better than anything I've heard from say Foreplay(Snoreplay)/BobJames/Klugh in the last 20 years..

Actually reminds me a little of 70s jazz fusion from Pharoah Saunders and particularly a track by Chcico Hamilton called "Mysterious Maiden" from 1979 ish..

nice melody, nice changes just right...

Wow, thanks very much guys!!!

The bass is my beloved 1983 Peavy Foundation bass, plugged directly into the deck, no effects whatsoever, just a little mild EQ in the deck (I use a Korg D1600). I'm never getting rid of that bass, it just has the most delicious sound... :D

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

As miracle would have it, I actully got to hear your song with only one network buffer.

The first thing I really dug was the bass sound. You managed this perfect tone and level in the mix that lends itself perfectly to the genre. Tight recording and arranging,

nice dynamics of real and synthesized instruments...listening to your Peavy, I wish I could 'plug in and pluck' rather than relying on key stabs. ~nel

I would love to be able to listen to it, but MP3.com requires you to "register" before you can listen, and I refuse to "register" on any website unless I absolutely, absolutely have to. I'm already receiving too much spam and advertising b.s. No need to give my email address to yet another potential spammer.

I always use "address@domain.com" for sites like that, funny, I never seem to hear from them... ;)

You can also listen at the atristlaunch site in my sig, or on my personal site at www.llarion.com...

:)

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Listening...

Phil, I admire your multi-intrumentalist skills.

V-Drums sound "real". You beloved bass sounds perfect, even if you just plugged it direct to the console.

This song is really... nice !

The keyboards are very well done, too.

Great job, amigo.

:thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Definitely "Smoothsion" not "Fuzak", good! Built really nicely around the riff and chords, all around. The main ideas would be cool to hear worked out in a long stretch and the "dewdrops" in the intro should appear more later, IMO. :thu:

-Bobro

Great song! It is at the same time relaxing and full of energy. I love the end of phrases where the guitar fades into the rising keyboards.

I wish I could play also all these instruments myself...

Pierre

Originally posted by Larochep:

Great song! It is at the same time relaxing and full of energy. I love the end of phrases where the guitar fades into the rising keyboards.

I wish I could play also all these instruments myself...

Pierre

You guys are SO going to make my head swell... :)

Thanks very much...

Pierre, the guitar sliding into keyboard thing; well that's one skill I'm proud of, the esoterica of arrangement. That very thing you noticed was done specifically and on purpose. SO glad you heard it and enjoyed it. :)

You guys are great, you really make me feel good.. :)

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

• 2 months later...

...Strange feeling... I mean I was absolutely sure I responded to this thread and posted my opinion regarding Phil's tune! And now I couldn't find it here... :confused:

Okay. (That must be some pre-Halloween joke, I suppose :D ) Phil, that's a very fine job you did. Playing almost all the instruments might be quite tough for someone, but not for you it seems.

Guitar work slightly reminds me of Larry Carlton. Great!

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

...Strange feeling... I mean I was absolutely sure I responded to this thread and posted my opinion regarding Phil's tune! And now I couldn't find it here... :confused:

Okay. (That must be some pre-Halloween joke, I suppose :D ) Phil, that's a very fine job you did. Playing almost all the instruments might be quite tough for someone, but not for you it seems.

Guitar work slightly reminds me of Larry Carlton. Great!

Funny you should say that; I did this piece after watching my DVD of the making of the Steely Dan AJA album, and Larry Carlton figured prominently on that work... Wonder if there was a subliminal connection?

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Archived