Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Poll: Where do you get your news?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I prefer to get my news from a variety of sources. Not from American TV networks though. [url=http://www.cbc.ca/news/]CBC[/url] [url=http://www.nytimes.com]NY Times[/url] [url=http://www.economist.com]The Economist[/url]
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Combination of BBC, LA Weekly, LA Times, Washington Post, NPR, Newsweek, Atlantic Monthly, and if topic-specific, sometimes other newspapers or magazines in the region (for example, Asian or Middle Eastern papers).

[quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b]Question, Do you think CNN has an agenda? Dont name other networks and say "they do to" , I am curious about CNN. They almost seem to be the spokesperson for Iraq.[/b][/quote](Sticks fingers in ears) Lalalalalala. I get mine from the BBC, online and from their News 24 channel. Also [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk]www.guardian.co.uk[/url] and salon.com is good for reaction to events.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

CNN and Fox are both too reliant on advertizing dollars to be trustworthy. Same with ABC, CBS, and NBC. All have had issues with their news departments being manipulated by the conglomerates who own them. Fox especially - I would never trust anything from a network who use Geraldo Rivera as a reporter.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

[quote] Fox especially - I would never trust anything from a network who use Geraldo Rivera as a reporter. [/quote]I am no geraldo fan at all, but at least he goes to the story instead of not doing anything and bitchin because the Gov. wont tell him. There are very few reporters that go over to Iraq , Afghanistan and so on. They all sit around and complain because it is not handed to them on a platter. There is a news show I catch every now and then that is the "Wall street journal" ,I think, and they have some good commentary on it. If you think about it they are all slave to someone. CNN leans left, Fox leans right and msnbc and the rest are just there for no good reason.Has anyone seen donihue's(sp) new format, it sucks worse than the last format.

I watch Fox mainly cause it's the most entertaining! ("Amusing Ourselves to Death", anyone?)When I want "fair and balanced" news I switch to the BBC. Also, most of the UK newspapers - Guardian, Independent plus some NYT and WP. But when I want to know what's REALLY going on I go to [url=http://www.rense.com]www.rense.com[/url]

I get my news from too many different places. Unfortunately I have to do that to filter out all the partisan noise. What ever happened to objective journalism? Iaian

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

[quote] I get my news from too many different places. Unfortunately I have to do that to filter out all the partisan noise. What ever happened to objective journalism? [/quote]Have we ever really had any? Before CNN and females got involved in the news, it was a male dominated area and dont think the news wasnt skewed back then either.

[quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [QB[/quote]If you think about it they are all slave to someone. CNN leans left...[/QB][/QUOTE] BWWWWAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. Yeah, maybe before Ted Turner was squezed out... It's hard to find anything that isn't corporate spoon fed to the likes of CNN. The only truth I can find is from C-SPAN and public radio. BBC is great when you can find it, but the Brits are going more the way of the States every day.

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b]What we need is more Hunter S. Thompson's in the world of journalism. That way, you get the actual story, but with a certain twist of drug-addled uncertainty of the actual situation happening before your very eyes. Scary shit, ain't it?[/b][/quote]Bad Craziness.... If you like Hunter S., try out P.J.O'Rourke. He's mellowed more than Thompson in the last 5 or 10 years, but in the 80s he used to TRY to go into countries during civil wars and those getting bombed by the U.S. (eg, Libya). It sounds ultra-serious, but he puts a dark, humorous slant on things. Oh, and he once covered an America's Cup with Jimmy Buffett, and spins it into a pretty funny tale about jibing and such.

Generally, NPR. Over the past few years, I've been on a campaign to reduce my 'need to know', quashing my habit of reading every newspaper and listening to every news source. Life's too short to be enveloped that way. I've just recently begun to listen to NPR again in the mornings, and just a little bit in the evenings, on the way home from work. I find my own life has enough drama and turmoil, I don't need to travel halfway across the world to pile more on.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

It seems that the point here is to find objective journalism which, of course, doesn't exist. Any news reported by a human being is by its very nature biased. The solution? Don't exclude everything (except, of course, the obviously rediculous news) and embrace most everything. In doing so, you will be able to weed out in your mind the crap and focus on the informative parts. Anybody who just watches a single network for their news is doing themselves a great disservice.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I look at Drudge Report, the Google News, and then the "My Yahoo" thing... which is awesome 'cuz you can pick a whole ton of sources and it'll show you top stories from each one updated all the time. Reuters and AP, and a zillion others. And Daily Grail for out-there stuff. for reviews, look at [url=http://www.metacritic.com,]www.metacritic.com,[/url] that's hot. Aggregated views on media from dozens of sources.

[quote] If you think about it they are all slave to someone. CNN leans left...[/QB][/quote]BWWWWAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. Yeah, maybe before Ted Turner was squezed out... [/QUOTE] Why is this funny. First you clipped HALF the sentence, then you make fun of it. Are you picking a fight? :D You really don't think CNN leans left? I look at it and the only people on there are Tom Dash. and now Nancy Palosi. She has changed what she calls her self , she now calls her self a centrist(sp) , meaning in the middle. She is a full blown LIBERAL(the nasty word), and she wont even admit it. :confused:

Archived