Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alesis up again?

coren

i was just wondering about alesis,

there page at alesis.com is back up again with demo dates set in 2002, so are they back up running again? (well i guess it answers itself but...)

i wasnt shure about the situation in the first place. when i first heard of it the guy at my alesis dealer said they'd declared bankrupcy in order to be bought out (by some company starting with a b)

then Dan south said they were just protecting themselves from creditors...

and now theyre back (which is good)

did somebody buy them or are they by themselves?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by coren5555:

not to mention i get confused when dan south says hes waiting for the andromeda to ship, but then my local dealer says he can get me one for $5000 ($3000 american) and i see them on ebay...

I saw one in Guitar Centre ages ago. Even got to fiddle with it. I was underwhelmed by the presets so I did not go into trying to program it. I mean, if you can't pull an instant emmo impression out of the box, whats the point? :-)

I doubt Numark will be very interested in making a whole bunch of these. They are not exactly a mass market item.

Alesis's problem was that they sat on their Laurels with their best selling gear - the QS range and the ADAT, instead of improving them, and the market ran past them as a result. If for example they had just added a few things to thwe QS range, just a resonant filter, some resonance modeling for the piano, an extra five sliders to emulate the drawbars on a Hammond and a mode to support it, it would have given them a killer product.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Even got to fiddle with it. I was underwhelmed by the presets so I did not go into trying to program it. I mean, if you can't pull an instant emmo impression out of the box, whats the point?

Funny, I was able to get amazing sounds out of it about 5 seconds after playing one for the first time.

Was that your first time "fiddling" with a real analog synth???

Perhaps a JV1080 is more your speed.

Alesis's problem was that they sat on their Laurels with their best selling gear - the QS range and the ADAT, instead of improving them, and the market ran past them as a result. If for example they had just added a few things to the QS range, just a resonant filter, some resonance modeling for the piano, an extra five sliders to emulate the drawbars on a Hammond and a mode to support it, it would have given them a killer product.

I'm here to tell you, brother Byrd - it may seem simple to you; however, as someone who saw what happened to Alesis go down from the inside, I can assure you that there was a bit more to it than that. Believe me, we discussed everything that you brought up, and a whole lot more. Not a pretty story - definitely not appropriate for a public forum, either...

As noted above, Alesis is owned by Jack O'Donnell, who also owns Numark. As I understand it, the two companies are pretty exclusive of each other. As I also understand it, Alesis ships products every month, and is actually in the process of making more Andromedas.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Alesis is up and running. Products are shipping. A brand new Andromeda production line is coming up to speed as we speak. (No ship date yet. I'm sure we'll announce something as soon as we know.)

Some aspects of daily company business are being handled by Numark in Rhode Island. If you wanted to purchase a replacement ADAT headstack for example, you would call Numark at (401) 295-9000 and ask for Dan Felix in the parts dept.

Warranty and non-waranty repair issues are still handled by Alesis' Tech Support Department. You can call them at (310) 301-9563.

Ben at Alesis

aha!

maybe this explains why the Masterlink 9600 HD I ordered in November has been so slow in showing up ..every week I'd call the store and kept being told " don't worry ..it'll be here next week"

evidently he didn't wanna have to explain all these shenanegins to me .. especially since he was the guy who touted the unit so highly in the first place!

Originally posted by wager47:

what if someone needs

alesis DM-Pro EPROMs?

wager47@hotmail.com

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Currently, all Alesis parts are being sold through Numark's Parts Department.

Ben

I saw one in Guitar Centre ages ago. Even got to fiddle with it. I was underwhelmed by the presets so I did not go into trying to program it. I mean, if you can't pull an instant emmo impression out of the box, whats the point? :-)

The presets of the Andromeda do not do it justice. It's no fault of the programmers, they have to deal with features not working, debugging the software, and writing 20 programs a day. I've written a few programs that kill, and so have others on the code404.com list. It's a real monster, I hope you get a second chance to play it. And hopefully it won't be for 2 minutes on the floor of a GC.

Alesis's problem was that they sat on their Laurels with their best selling gear - the QS range and the ADAT, instead of improving them, and the market ran past them as a result. If for example they had just added a few things to thwe QS range, just a resonant filter, some resonance modeling for the piano, an extra five sliders to emulate the drawbars on a Hammond and a mode to support it, it would have given them a killer product.

Alesis management payed a lot of smart people to come up with a lot of clever ideas and then ignored those ideas and went with their own outdated assumptions and optimistic trends. They were designing products for 2 years in the future, instead of designing for 10 years in the future. Of course, maybe I'm just bitter.

Originally posted by Anoplura:

Some aspects of daily company business are being handled by Numark in Rhode Island. If you wanted to purchase a replacement ADAT headstack for example, you would call Numark at (401) 295-9000 and ask for Dan Felix in the parts dept.

Warranty and non-waranty repair issues are still handled by Alesis' Tech Support Department. You can call them at (310) 301-9563.

Ben at Alesis[/QB]

ben-

i've tried calling numark a couple of times, and there is no answer. no machine, no nothing. i've tried at 11am & 1pm PST on two different weekdays.

any insight?

i need the main pc board EPROMs for my DM-Pro. it's been busted for 6 months now, and i miss it!

NAMM news up on Alesis' site today:

Andromeda is shipping, along with ineko effects processor and airsynth.

QS-line has been revamped (and re-colored silver) - thus, the QS6.2 and QS8.2.

New effects units - DEQ230, akira, and picoverb

and the "modfx" line of effects boxes (stompboxes?) - choose from 14(!) models.

Looks like they're indeed alive and kicking.

More info at http://www.alesis.com/news/press/index.html

Good luck on getting your hands on those parts, by the way!

Originally posted by felix:

QS-line has been revamped (and re-colored silver) - thus, the QS6.2 and QS8.2.

That's it?

OK, the 4 meg of flash RAM is nice.. new d/a's ... but.. that's it????

This is starting to look like the car industry where all they update is the headlights and call it a new model....

:rolleyes:

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Rod CA ]

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Rod:

It's not a new model, it's an update to an older model. At least it gets Alesis back out in the market whilst they ramp up to speed. I think that's a good thing. Kind of like the Triton Studio posted elsewhere.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: joegerardi ]

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

At least it gets Alesis back out in the market whilst they ramp up to speed. I think that's a good thing.

I agree. Go, Alesis! We're all rootin' for ya! :)

And that Triton Studio...Damn, that sounds good. I don't suppose there's anyway to hot-rod mine to get it up to those specs. I guess I'm gonna have to get another one now! Hey, Dan! Do you see a fourth one in your future? :D

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

They said shipping in March for the Andromeda. The QS8.2 has 4MB flash RAM, but one less card slot I think. Oh well, those cards were hard to find anyway. I'm still getting used to the silver - I like my 8.0 just fine. The other stuff was cool, though. 21 new products! That's making a statement.

Originally posted by synthetic:

The QS8.2 has 4MB flash RAM, but one less card slot I think.

They were going to put 4 meg of flash ROM into it, but they decided to take it out to keep the price down.

They also took out the aux outs, the serial port and the digital output, along with one of the card slots. Oh, yes - and the keyboard no longer sends aftertouch.

They added...nothing. Same ROM, same programs. Less features. Lower price.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

What's the point of this? Isn't it time for a QS ROM "refresh"? Oy. Why then would anyone buy the 8.2 when the 8s and 8.1s are so readily and cheaply available on the used market?

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

They were going to put 4 meg of flash ROM into it, but they decided to take it out to keep the price down.

They also took out the aux outs, the serial port and the digital output, along with one of the card slots. Oh, yes - and the keyboard no longer sends aftertouch.

They added...nothing. Same ROM, same programs. Less features. Lower price.

dB

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

They also took out the aux outs, the serial port and the digital output, along with one of the card slots. Oh, yes - and the keyboard no longer sends aftertouch. They added...nothing. Same ROM, same programs. Less features. Lower price.

When I saw the new look, I was really hoping that they'd done something new and cool. When some of the magazine press guys came by to tell me the real news as mentioned above by Dave (except the aftertouch part, which I just found out here), I was really disappointed.

They have such great potential to be a cool company. Maybe sometime, after they keep getting back up to speed, they'll have another line that incorporates things like new sounds or better interfaces. Give them some time...hopefully they'll get it.

- Jeff

As mentioned earlier, the .2 line is to keep us in the market during our development of new product.

"Give them some time...hopefully they'll get it."

Considering the near-criminal lack of support for keyboards from old Alesis' marketing department, it's no suprise that development of new product took a back seat to marketing's pet products. Despite the fact that the QS8 was the number one selling keyboard in it's price bracket in the US for three years in a row. Did marketing ever tell anyone this? No. Did the keyboards keep Alesis alive? Yes. Did bad marketing contribute to the demise of old Alesis? Yes. Was Jeff Klopmeyer part of old Alesis marketing? Yes. So, that's an arrogant statement from someone who takes partial responsibility for the collapse of a company. Good job Jeff, on all counts.

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Mike, my point was (and is) that I feel people should have faith that given time, Alesis will come out with better stuff. There's no reason to take offense to this, and no reason anyone should doubt it.

Just FYI...and Dave Bryce knows this to be true...Alesis marketed (i.e. advertised, promoted via PR and so on) the keyboards with more financial resources during the three most successful years of their sales than they did ADAT. I think the "near-criminal lack of support" is a bit of an overstatement, but that's just my take. YMMV.

Good to see you at NAMM.

- Jeff

Archived