Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alesis up again?

coren

Michael,

Since I'm from L.A. (I just moved to O'side 6 months ago),

I might just have to take your word for it. Dave, gimme a

second opinion (even though I think you're gonna say what

Michael said). Anyway, I can always send it back if I don't

like it. Gotta go. I need to activate this credit card so

I can get the qs 7.1 :D

a-sharp

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by a-sharp:

Dave, gimme a second opinion (even though I think you're gonna say what Michael said

I do, in fact, second Michael's opinion.

$600 seems like a pretty nice deal for a 7.1, and the Triton (in quite a few different incarnations) will apparently be around for a while.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I have to triple the recommendations of Dave & Michael. That is a wonderful deal on the QS7.1 QS sounds are incredible and you would have so much money left over to purchase effects units, a quality midi interface, or a great sound card. For the money, that is a deal I only decided to pass on after some long and arduous mental debate (with help from our friends here). If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to grab that 7.1. Sure, the Triton is an incredible unit (I'm excited about the LE myself), but if you are just getting started, you can't go wrong with the 7.1. Plus, the software bundle will save you loads of cash (Micrologic AV is a great program...but I should warn you that after using it you'll want to upgrade to Platinum like I did.)

The 7.1s are going for around $400.00 to $600.00 used on eBay, so you'd be getting a new unit for the price of a used one. I've really enjoyed my 6.1 and am kicking myself for not waiting a couple of months to get the 7.1 for less than what I paid for the 6.1.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. The qs7.1's are sold out

everywhere! All the Southern California Guitar Centers are

out! All the Sam Ash stores are sold out. I happened to find

the last one at a Sam Ash near where I live. They'll be

shipping it sometime next week. . .one question though. Can

you speed up or slow down your sequences from the qs when you

play sequences live?

Thanks again,

a-sharp :)

Originally posted by a-sharp:

what Q-card should I buy, besides the piano ones? Which ones have given you guys the

most pleasure and excellent sound quality?

Depends largely upon what style of music you like.

Personally, my fave is the Vintage Synth card. Vintage Keys and Classical close behind.

dB

I don't think the Piano Q-Cards improve on the piano in the QS7.1. You might want to hunt around for the "Boriano" program, I think this is a better program than any of the presets. It's out on the web somewhere.

The Vintage Keys and Classical cards are always in my QS8. I also have Sanctuary (nice bell and voice sounds), World/Ethnic (cool flutes but discontinued), and Pop/Rock (way discontinued). Film Score is rumored to be the best, but has not yet been released.

-jl

I just read a review on harmony central that said the drum

sounds on the qs aren't that good. Without buying an external

drum/percussion module, what options do I have. None of the

Q cards seem to focus on drums. . .except hip-hop. Anybody

heard this card? OK guys, I'm through. The next time you

hear from me I'll be tellin' you how much I love my new axe! :D

a-sharp

You can make your own drumcard by using the Soundbridge software.

Soundbridge enables you to transfer your own samples to an empty pcmcia card.

It's a lot of work, but worth the time.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

My favorite QCards that were released by Alesis are the Hip Hop and Vintage Synths cards. That's for my music...your mileage may vary.

The piano cards are fine, but are more helpful purely as a change of pace from the internal pianos...nothing drastically different, but good. I use the Classical Piano card from time to time, but often just use the internal grand piano sound.

- Jeff

I second the praise of the "Boriano." It's a great patch, and the one I call up whenever I'm juts noodling. Anyone have that link?

Originally posted by synthetic:

I don't think the Piano Q-Cards improve on the piano in the QS7.1. You might want to hunt around for the "Boriano" program, I think this is a better program than any of the presets. It's out on the web somewhere.

The Vintage Keys and Classical cards are always in my QS8. I also have Sanctuary (nice bell and voice sounds), World/Ethnic (cool flutes but discontinued), and Pop/Rock (way discontinued). Film Score is rumored to be the best, but has not yet been released.

-jl

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I used the QS soundcards extensively on my most recent album. My fave has not been mentioned - the Latin card. Used it quite a bit, and it even inspired one of the tracks.

I like the Hip Hop and the Euro Dance cards too, even though they don't seem to be as popular. They're best for grooves and fun stuff - meat and potatoes is more the realm of the vintage cards. Come to think of it, I used the Classical card on the recording, too...

lz

www.lauriez.com

Originally posted by soapbox:

What would be the downside of substituting a QSR for a QS8 in this situation?

Geoff, I sort of did something like that recently. I changed my qs6 for a qsr. I got a handle of it right away. It's tough if you like programming from the front panel since you have less buttons, but you get used to it quickly. My only regret is I did like the action of my qs6, but it was lacking as far as a controller.

Talking about Qcards, on my qsr permanently are the vintage synths and vintage keyboards. I like the vintage synths a lot.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

They were going to put 4 meg of flash ROM into it, but they decided to take it out to keep the price down.

They also took out the aux outs, the serial port and the digital output, along with one of the card slots. Oh, yes - and the keyboard no longer sends aftertouch.

They added...nothing. Same ROM, same programs. Less features. Lower price.

dB

That's a real shame. I have never actually used the aux outs and I really have not made much use of the aftertouch but when you need it you need it - my top board does not have it and I find I miss it. The serial and digital interfaces on the other hand I use all the time.

So they just came out with a successor to my QS8 that I would not even think of buying. That can't be good product placement.

Originally posted by Magpel:

I second the praise of the "Boriano." It's a great patch, and the one I call up whenever I'm juts noodling. Anyone have that link?

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/jazzgod/qs.html

find on the bottom of the page. I had this link from a while back, but since it woulnd't work on my qs6, I never downloaded it.. I'll give it a shot now.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

Originally posted by soapbox:

Thanks Rod. BTW, it's good to see you posting again!

It's good to be back :)

MBP-LOGIC

Originally posted by wager47:

ben-

i've tried calling numark a couple of times, and there is no answer. no machine, no nothing. i've tried at 11am & 1pm PST on two different weekdays.

any insight?

i need the main pc board EPROMs for my DM-Pro. it's been busted for 6 months now, and i miss it!

Wager, keep trying. I got no answer the first couple tries but got through yesterday afternoon and finally ordered a replacement wall-wart for my Midiverb (damn things put out 9VAC, not DC, and don't have a "Radio Shack" equivalent).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Hey guys,

I bought my QS7.1, and I'm trying to sequence with Micrologic AV (included with the unit), but whenever I try to go into the

program I get an error message saying "PC AV 12, not enough memory for plug-in". Sometimes I have to exit Windows because

of this. Other times, I have to keep pressing "continue" until the little recording remote pops up. Can any of you

proficient QS users help me here? I have a 40 gig hard drive,

of which maybe only 10 gigs are taken, so I don't understand

whats up.

a-sharp

A-Sharp,

I know my answer is not going to help you (or maybe it will) but I cannot use Micrologic AV (believe it's version 3.5) that came with QS6.1 that I got. I was getting error messages too. So I bought Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 instead and it works great! And if you need the instrument defitions for your QS7.1 (for Cakewalk), you can find it here .

Good luck. :)

Thanks ktempo7of9@aol.com.

I'm going to definitely buy the software you recommended, especially since I'm a MIDI newbie, and you can help me get up and running since we're kinda using the same setup! :D Of course, I'll compensate you for your time and energy in helping a non-techno-savvy ex-elementary school teacher, now

majoring in counseling learn his new equipment. I'll email you, and maybe we can work something out. Thanks again!

a-sharp

A-Sharp,

I really didn't recommend that you get Cakewalk. But that's cool though. I've used Cakewalk Metro on my old 68k based Mac and I could only use the midi portion of it (the 8-bit sound card was wacky for running audio). So I bought Cakewalk after finding out that Micrologic AV wouldn't work. I could've bought Logic Audio or Cubase but I figured that I'll stick with Cakewalk to use on my new PC. You can e-mail me and I'll do my best to help you set-up using Cakewalk. I'm still learning myself...

Kim :D

I agree with the others that the QS7.1 deal sounds like a great one - and you'd be better off picking up a Triton Rack later anyways (with tons more expansion than the keyboard, and a recently lowered price too).

For anyone interested, sounds like QS8.1's will still be available for a while...

Originally posted by felix:

For anyone interested, sounds like QS8.1's will still be available for a while...

:confused:

New ones? Is Alesis shipping 8.1s. or are there just a bunch in stock at MARS and other stores?

That can't be good for the 8.2 - if they're actually shipping those any time soon.

dB

Archived