Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do You Play Video Games?

Jeff Klopmeyer

I've been into videogames since I got my first computer (ZX spectrum +)... well, wait, even before that I was playing vgames: hand helds, arcade games, some primitive consoles...

Since some years ago I don't play so much as I used to. As somebody said in this thread, videogames are serious time-consumers. Music can also be time-consuming, but it's something that eventually will pay off... like an investment. But I still play every now and then: last year (2001) I've been mostly playing Unreal Tournament (on line), Max Payne, Return to castle Wolfenstein and Midtown madness (yes, this one is older than the rest but I love it). I also like to update my emulation software every once in a while and enjoy again those old games, from Manic Miner (Spectrum) to Shadow of the Beast (Amiga), Double dragon (arcade), Sonic (Sega master system), etc etc...

Even before I was more seriously interested in music, I always payed attention to videogames' music and sounds, even recorded my favorites on tape. They are some kind of musical sub-genre, specially the Amiga ones... anybody remembers the tunes from Chris Huelbeck (turrican II and a lot more), Allister Brimble (Team 17 games), Bjorg Lynne (commercial titles like Fantastic Voyage as well as mods in the "scene")...? Some of them have their own websites with modern "covers" of their own best compositions (and new ones, of course), like Huelsbeck for instance at http://www.huelsbeck.com/

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Blue ]

= blue =

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by topper74:

Xbox owners,

Would any of you mind sharing your impressions of the system. I can only afford one, and I'm wondering if Xbox is worth the extra $. I'm a huge Perfect Dark fan! Nothing better than inviting a good friend over and spending the evening fill em full of V bullets. :D

I bought the Xbox for 2 reasons. 1: It cost about the same as an equivelant video card for my PC 2: Somebody already got MAME running on it! They just gotta figure out how to run it on something other than the developer machine. Only a matter of when, not if.

If you could call it a "game" MAME is my favorite piece of software ever, no contest. Run just about any arcade game you've ever heard of on just about any operating system.

As for standard Xbox games, they are pretty impressive. I love games that make good use of surround sound like Halo.

As far as games I've gotten into, you Windows people go find any version of Worms and play that online. Easy to learn, difficult to master, you can complete a game in 10 minutes and totally addictive. The newest one is Worms World Party, but Worms: Armageddon is pretty much the same thing and can be found for $10.

I used to play video games all the time when I was younger. The last one I got hooked on was Defender, with one joystick and 5 buttons. I cant get a handle on the new playstation games with two joysticks and 20 buttons, that you press in different combinations and sequences. The kids of today must have brains split into 5 compartments.

Originally posted by alby:

I used to play video games all the time when I was younger. The last one I got hooked on was Defender, with one joystick and 5 buttons. I cant get a handle on the new playstation games with two joysticks and 20 buttons, that you press in different combinations and sequences. The kids of today must have brains split into 5 compartments.

I dunno what's keeping you from playing a new game. I sucked at Defender...too hard! Gotta hit a button to turn around, the ship moces at different speeds. Oh man, who can handle that?!? Only thing worse to me was Zaxxon or Qbert and having to move in 3 dimensions :eek:;) I think I'll stick to Galaga :D

MAME running on a x-box? I hadn't heard about it, but definitely sounds very cool!! Emulated arcade games always look more like the real thing on a tv screen...

By the way, just in case somebody doesn't know where to start with mame, an excellent site is http://www.mame.dk -- tons of roms. As for the emulator itself, if you're using windows, download the "mame32" version (it's not the same as mame binary for windows32... "mame32" has a more convenient graphical user interface).

PS- Since some days ago, mame.dk asks for registration if you want to download anything from the site, but it's no problem, just give an email address and desired user name and you'll receive your password.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Blue ]

= blue =

This thread has inspired me to hunt for PC versions (preferably Linux!) of the only arcade games I ever played and loved- Tetris and Qix!

Hey a joystick could be used with softsynths, too- think my wife will fall for that? :D

-CB

Originally posted by Blue:

I've been mostly playing Unreal Tournament (on line), Max Payne

I also got into UT last year...fun to frag hundreds of bots. And, just last week at my buddy's house, I played Max Payne on the XBox for the first time. Cool game!

- Jeff

Okay so I'm not prude by far But who has ever played Grand Theft Auto III? This game truly is demented and I hear it is already pulled from the shelves. For anyone who's never seen it, you steal cars, run over people, shoot cops, run drugs and prostitutes for gang members...and I've hardly scratched the surface. One fucked up game I tell you. On a game related thread, what mac expert here (dan?) can help me with this shockwave/flash glitch I experience;

When using the IE5 browser, flash is never detected. I've loaded and reloaded it from the macromedia site dozens of times. It seems to default to my netscape browser where it is still enabled.

Is there a IE glitch that I'm not aware of besides the fact that its microsoft :D

Seriously, it's pretty frustrating to go from browser to browser since so many sites and games utilize flash.

Any help is appreciated!

~nel

Archived