Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Obscure Rock Trivia Question

I heard this song on the radio today. It's a song about a car. The second biggest selling rhythm and blues song of 1951, this song was claimed by Sam Phillips of Sun records to be the [i]first[/i] rock and roll song. It features Ike Turner on the piano, was written by Ike and performed by his band but for obscure non-musical reasons was credited to the the saxophonist in the band. Name that tune.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about some obscure country/pop music trivia? Clara Ann Fowler, around 1951, released a huge hit which was actually the B-side of a single, "Boogie Woogie Santa Claus," a cut that sank into obscurity. [i]According to a teacher of mine at Columbia College[/i], Ms. Fowler insisted on cutting (the hit) because it was her grandmother's favorite song. Mercury Records and her producer initially balked, then let her record it, fully expecting the track to be cut from consideration later on. Thanks to Clara Ann's tenacity, it was released as a B-side. Little did they know it would become her biggest hit. Anyone know (Honor system; no search engines! ;) ) the name Clara Ann Fowler is better known as and the song I'm speaking of?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Miami Herald link [url=http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/entertainment/3128453.htm]He also reclaims Rocket 88, which many consider to be the very first rock song, a half-century after recording it for Sun Records founder Sam Phillips. When the record was released on Chess Records in 1951, vocalist Jackie Brenston got all the credit; it wasn\'t until recently that Turner got his due.[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by Phantasm-sound: [b]How about some obscure country/pop music trivia? Clara Ann Fowler, around 1951, released a huge hit which was actually the B-side of a single, "Boogie Woogie Santa Claus," a cut that sank into obscurity. [i]According to a teacher of mine at Columbia College[/i], Ms. Fowler insisted on cutting (the hit) because it was her grandmother's favorite song. Mercury Records and her producer initially balked, then let her record it, fully expecting the track to be cut from consideration later on. Thanks to Clara Ann's tenacity, it was released as a B-side. Little did they know it would become her biggest hit. Anyone know (Honor system; no search engines! ;) ) the name Clara Ann Fowler is better known as and the song I'm speaking of?[/b][/quote]Honor system... 'Big Momma Thornton' - Hound Dog??
In two days, it won't matter.

It's trivia you want, eh? OK. In 1959, drummer Sandy Nelson recorded his first hit, "Teen Beat", with piano and bass as backup. Who was the piano player? Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b]It's trivia you want, eh? OK. In 1959, drummer Sandy Nelson recorded his first hit, "Teen Beat", with piano and bass as backup. Who was the piano player? Whitefang[/b][/quote]My uneducated guess, Carol King??

Here's a few for you rock trivia heads. No Goggle searches allowed! 1. Angus & Malcom Young's (AC/DC) older brother was in a band that had a hit in the late 60's. Name the band and the song. 2. Cat Stevens has had a few name changes. Please give his birth name and his current name. 3. Please list the names of 3 bands Bob Seger has been in. 4. Please name the popular singer who advised John Lennon to have Allen Klien handle The Beatles' financial affairs. 5. Please name the woman, 'Dear Prudence' is about. Who is her more famous sister? 6. Charles Manson and his 'family' temporarily lived in what famous drummers house? Matt

Good job, Tiny & BKeelen. :thu: You're the grand prize winners! Tell 'em what they've won, Hal. btw: Bob Seger's 3 bands were, Bob Seger & The Last Heard, The Bob Seger System & Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b]damn. Okay...wha sang backup vocals on a couple of tunes on Squeeze's album 'Play'?[/b][/quote]I was going to give others a chance cause I thought it bloody easy, no Elvis on this, but Spinal Tap!
Who keeps moving my chair?

..."Drivin' that hot rod Lincoln!" And the piano player on that old Sandy Nelson tune was Bruce Johnston. What song did a yet unheard of(in America, at least)Rod Stewart play harmonica on? Whitefang

[quote]Originally posted by BKeelan: [b]was that the album Elvis Costello was on?[/b][/quote]Elvis sang a few lines on the Squeeze hit "Tempted" on the brilliant [i]East Side Story[/i] album. Squeeze's Glenn Tilbrook reciprocates on Costello's "From A Whisper to a Scream" on [i]Trust[/i].

[quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b]Angus & Malcom Young's (AC/DC) older brother was in a band that had a minor hit in the late 70's also. Name the band and the song.[/b][/quote]Flash´n the Pan - And the Band Played On Great album, by the way. Jose.

[quote]Originally posted by jcobelas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b]Angus & Malcom Young's (AC/DC) older brother was in a band that had a minor hit in the late 70's also. Name the band and the song.[/b][/quote]Flash´n the Pan - And the Band Played On Great album, by the way. Jose.[/b][/quote]Good one Jose, thought I was going to have to answer it myself for awahile there. But the minor hit around my parts was "Hey, St. Peter" but indeed a very cool album, frisbees and all.

[quote]Originally posted by Phil_Grove: [b]Rod Stewart - Harmonica on "My Boy Lollipop" Early ska classic (by Little Millie)[/b][/quote]Way to go, Phil. I have a lot of friends who thought I was full of it when I'd mention that. And you saved my day by telling who recorded the song. THAT, I forgot! Whitefang

[quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b] [quote]Originally posted by jcobelas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b]Angus & Malcom Young's (AC/DC) older brother was in a band that had a minor hit in the late 70's also. Name the band and the song.[/b][/quote]Flash´n the Pan - And the Band Played On Great album, by the way. Jose.[/b][/quote]Good one Jose, thought I was going to have to answer it myself for awahile there. But the minor hit around my parts was "Hey, St. Peter" but indeed a very cool album, frisbees and all.[/b][/quote]Now that you mention frisbees...I am not at home now, so I really cannot check, but I am almost sure that there were no frisbees in the cover of the copy I bought in England circa ´79. Rather a blindfolded model and a crow, but I think I also remember a seeing a dog with a frisbee in other cover...did this come out with different covers? Jose.

[quote]Originally posted by jcobelas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b] [quote]Originally posted by jcobelas: [b]
quote:
Originally posted by XNU8D+: Angus & Malcom Young's (AC/DC) older brother was in a band that had a minor hit in the late 70's also. Name the band and the song.[/b][/quote]Flash´n the Pan - And the Band Played On Great album, by the way. Jose.[/b][/quote]Good one Jose, thought I was going to have to answer it myself for awahile there. But the minor hit around my parts was "Hey, St. Peter" but indeed a very cool album, frisbees and all.[/b][/quote]Now that you mention frisbees...I am not at home now, so I really cannot check, but I am almost sure that there were no frisbees in the cover of the copy I bought in England circa ´79. Rather a blindfolded model and a crow, but I think I also remember a seeing a dog with a frisbee in other cover...did this come out with different covers? Jose.
Must have, I checked google and found this cover which I had never seen, maybe it is yours: http://members.home.nl/vaipen/SMDecors/Flash.jpg This page has what mine looks like. Kind of small, but its people in chairs on the beach, all dressed the same, a mushroom cloud in the ocean and frisbees flying overhead. http://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/BANDflashandpan.html Then I found this one?? http://www.tigersushi.com/site/frameset.jsp?page=Rcd.jsp&RcdId=1256

Archived