Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Obscure Rock Trivia Question

[quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b] [quote]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [b] [quote]Originally posted by jcobelas: [b]
quote:
Originally posted by XNU8D+:
quote:
Originally posted by jcobelas: [QUOTE]Originally posted by XNU8D+: [qb]Angus & Malcom Young's (AC/DC) older brother was in a band that had a minor hit in the late 70's also. Name the band and the song.[/b][/quote]Flash´n the Pan - And the Band Played On Great album, by the way. Jose.[/b][/quote]Good one Jose, thought I was going to have to answer it myself for awahile there. But the minor hit around my parts was "Hey, St. Peter" but indeed a very cool album, frisbees and all.[/b][/quote]Now that you mention frisbees...I am not at home now, so I really cannot check, but I am almost sure that there were no frisbees in the cover of the copy I bought in England circa ´79. Rather a blindfolded model and a crow, but I think I also remember a seeing a dog with a frisbee in other cover...did this come out with different covers? Jose.
Must have, I checked google and found this cover which I had never seen, maybe it is yours: http://www.tigersushi.com/site/frameset.jsp?page=Rcd.jsp&RcdId=1256 This page has what mine looks like. Kind of small, but its people in chairs on the beach, all dressed the same, a mushroom cloud in the ocean and frisbees flying overhead. http://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/BANDflashandpan.html Then I found this one?? http://members.home.nl/vaipen/SMDecors/Flash.jpg
Who keeps moving my chair?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Phantasm-sound: [b]How about some obscure country/pop music trivia? Clara Ann Fowler, around 1951, released a huge hit which was actually the B-side of a single, "Boogie Woogie Santa Claus," a cut that sank into obscurity. [i]According to a teacher of mine at Columbia College[/i], Ms. Fowler insisted on cutting (the hit) because it was her grandmother's favorite song. Mercury Records and her producer initially balked, then let her record it, fully expecting the track to be cut from consideration later on. Thanks to Clara Ann's tenacity, it was released as a B-side. Little did they know it would become her biggest hit. Anyone know (Honor system; no search engines! ;) ) the name Clara Ann Fowler is better known as and the song I'm speaking of?[/b][/quote]Honor system... 'Big Momma Thornton' - Hound Dog??[/b][/quote]Nope, nobody else going to try?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I dunno...I'll take an honor system stab, and then look it up. Honor system stab...Kitty Wells? I dunno, her biggest hit was "God didn't make honky tonk angels". I doubt that was her grandmother's favorite song. Ah well, I'll look it up, and then slap myself on the forehead...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If no one gets it by Monday morning, I'll post the answer by noon. Good guesses, though. Tedster, I'm buddies with Kitty Wells' grandson. He runs a studio and crew company out of Kitty and Johnny Wright's old museum. It's about a mile from my house. :)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

That's the country I remember, Neil...all of the old stuff, Hank Thompson, Little Jimmie Dickens, Faron Young, the good ol' days of country. I'd be willing to bet that Kitty's grandson has some tales to tell. What's cool is to find (when you're traveling late at night) some AM radio station that plays the old classic country format. It's quite spooky, you expect to see Rod Serling standing by "the signpost"... :D (Walter Brennan voice) Too damn hard to keep up with all o' these young upstarts, dadburnit!

I'm with you, Tedster! Actually, John played drums for Marty Stuart a long time ago. I know he was with Marty on the No Hats tour back in... 1989? 1990? Funny thing, there's a publicity photo of Marty and the band in which John looks like Marty's twin brother. Apparently fans would sometimes confuse them. :D I was fortunate to spend my lunch time for a whole summer at Opryland sitting around with Porter Wagoner, Jeannie Pruett, Little Jimmy Dickens, and Jim Ed Brown. Mike (Snider) would bring us in the bluegrass stage, green room so he and Porter could keep each other amused. One or two of the Opry stars would play a show with the bluegrass band each day. It was incredible (and quite surreal) to hear about their lives in the business. All of them were very gracious people. It's a summer I won't forget. I know exactly what you mean about the AM radio stations and old country music. You want to see something [i]REALLY SCARY???[/i] Oh! Almost forgot. The answer to my question, Who recorded "grandma's favorite song," over the protests of her record company, and had her biggest hit with it? Answer: Patti Page :)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Okay, you want rock and roll trivia? Here's my favorite. It's multi-part, and I don't think even a search engine can help you on this one. Lowell George was in a band, pre-Little Feat, that appeared on a TV sitcom. What was the band, what was the sitcom, and what was the name of the band they portrayed on the sitcom? I'll wait here. :rolleyes: George

Hahaha...great stories, Neil. Bet they had some tales to tell. My favorite part of that Twilight Zone movie was the very end, where they haul John Lithgow off the plane all tied up 'cause he's gone crazy, and put him in the back of the ambulance, and as the ambulance pulls away, the driver turns around and it's Dan Aykroyd. HAHAHA... George...man, I have no idea on that one. Wouldn't have been on "Happy Days" would it? Or was that pre-Little Feat?

Just to show how misspent my youth was, and since, unless Richie Hayward pops up here, nobody's likely to get this one, I'll spill the beans. I will preface it to say that reading the credits when watching reruns at 3am can lead to interesting things. 1. The band Lowell was in was called The Factory. 2. The show they appeared on was F Troop. 3. The band they played on the show was called The Bedbugs from Boston. Now, someday, I'll figure out how to make the treasure trove of similar knowledge that's sticking to my synapses like rancid, saccharine Velcro(tm) pay off, but until that time... George

Good Gravy, F TROOP? How on earth did Lowell George get on that show, set in the 1870s? I suppose kinda the same way that ZZ Top did a cameo in "Back to the Future III" playing a hoedown band in the old west. Bizarre.

Ted, the F-Troop appearance is regularly circulated among Feat fans...check into one of the fan sites & you'll be able to score a copy. They played a music act managed by Cpl. Agarn. Kinda funny but nothing special (their competition was a band comprising other troop members---Forrest Tucker, Ken Berry, etc.)...Lowell got all the lines, of course. They probably got the shot from 1960s TV fascination with rock bands(hey, they coulda wound up on Gilligan's Island!).

Archived