Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what acoustic piano do you have?

jimbyjoe

g'day (sorry, feeling a bit more aussie than usual),

what sort of acoustic piano (if any) do you have at your house/studio? what do you find is the most effective way to mic it to record?

to start it off, i have a yamaha mp80 upright. but it's not ordinary piano - it's a "silent series". you press the middle pedal down and it stops the hammers from hitting the strings, then you put headphones on and it comes through them. i orignally got it so i could practice classical any time of the day, but it has an added bonus - it has midi out so you can use it as a weighted midi controller. comes in handy.

does anyone else have one of these or the equivelent kawai?

pray for peace.

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got me a K. Kawai grand.

I mic it with GT AM40 instrument mics, both over the sound board about two feet apart, pointed in slightly different directions (hard to describe) with the lid only half open and the music stand down, and then use a large diaphragm condenser mic back about 10 feet for ambience.

I love it to bits.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I own a Baldwin Acrosonic Spinette Piano. It is Antique yellow, so I keep it covered with lots of song books, like The complete Pat Metheny and various Steely Dan books.

This piano has great action and has a nice bright sound. I used to record it by removing the panel on the bottom front of the piano where the pedals are, and I would use 2 mikes, just as Sir Bryce mentioned, add a tiny bit of reverb, and have a blast.

This was done in my living room and very low tech.

Still, it was fun.

I can't substantiate this, but the person I bought the piano from said that it used to be owned by Lucille Ball and was used on her TV shows. Not that it matters, but the trivial fact is entertaining to me. I would never sell this piano, even if I get a Steinway grand. I would have two pianos.

And all would be well in my world.

Steveedan

I have a 1927 Steinway M (5'7"), in satin ebony. It's in our living room and doesn't get recorded. We've owned it for 10 years and I still can't believe what a great piano we have. I get great satisfaction from my three kids, and now my wife, all taking piano lessons on it.

It belonged the Yale Glee Club (I bought it from someone in SE Connecticut) and had been meticulously rebuilt by A&C Pianocraft in NYC. Still has the original ivory key tops which feel great. Tremedous bass for a smaller grand.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: mzeger ]

Originally posted by jimbyjoe:

g'day (sorry, feeling a bit more aussie than usual),

what sort of acoustic piano (if any) do you have at your house/studio? what do you find is the most effective way to mic it to record?

1 Yr. Old Yamaha C3. I love it. No silent, no Diskclavier (though I was tempted). Still haven't settled on mics for it, but played around with some borrowed ones and it records well with condensors. I'll probably settle sme AKG C1000S's as the cost/use ratio is about right.

BTW - Spent a night in Brisbane (on our honeymoon) as a stopover between Cairn's and O\'Reilly\'s Rainforest . Nice city, though we did name our daughter Sydney, not Brisbane ;) .

patazz - those c3's are a beautiful piano aren't they. i did all of my classical diplomas on one at the exam centre. i love yamahas. i've only once played a steinway but it was an experience. i've never felt something so solid in the bass. actually i don't think there is a word to describe it.

so you stayed a night in brisvegas on your honeymoon hey? so did i. in the novatel (it was our first night of course - we happened to go to port douglas and sydney afterwards). and according to our being in sydney whilst the fires were on, that means you would've been there in, hmm....late 1994?

mike (DOS) - does your bosendorfer have the lift up panel at the bass end of the keyboard where you lift it up and there's an extra 9 notes??

pray for peace,

k

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Zimmermann Grand 1961. Best way to record a (grand)piano?

Very good question :) , depends on what sound you're after.

A pair of Neumann M149's will do a good job. If you don't have Neumann $$$, and you want a decent sound, a pair of RS PZM's inside the piano will do a pretty good job also.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Archived