Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Grohl: Man or Myth?

Seriously, Dave Grohl amazes me. Currently, he has three songs in heavy rotation on the local commercial rock radio station in the Bay Area. There's the Nirvana archive song "You Know You're Right" that was recently released. Then there's the new Foo Fighters single, which rocks my world to no end. That song is just [i]not conducive[/i] to driving responsibly, I'll tell ya that much. And, thirdly, there's the new Queens of the Stone Age single, on which Dave plays drums. I tell ya, [i]that guy[/i] can play a [i]mean[/i] trap kit. He's better than the drummer of his own band, Foo Fighters, if you asked me. So, I'm impressed. I'm [i]so[/i] impressed. To say the least. I'd go so far as to say that Dave Grohl had a HELLUVA lot more to do with the success of [i]Nevermind[/i] than most people give him credit for. Here, my theoretical formula: Kurt Cobain = [i]Bleach[/i] (Great album, amazing!) Cobain + Grohl + Butch Vig = [i]Nevermind[/i] (Masterpiece.)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was never a real Nirvana fan, though I always appreciated their vibe and authenticity. Mr. Cobain's songwriting was the main ingredient to Nirvanas success. That and timing. I recently saw rerun of Sat Nite Live on which Nirvana performed. I have to say. Mr. Grohl played his ass off. He was by far the most intense thing onstage. Now what did you say the name of his new band was? :D

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

i dunno.. nevermind seemed like a pretty good cross slash of the whole band, chris laid down a few smooth basslines in his day. i mean hes not legendary or anything skill wise, but then neither was cobain. but he MADE lounge act :) and alltogether they mannaged a good cohesive writing style... i dont think the album would have been at all the same with a member missing

yeah... dont forget, the first few foo fighters albums was DAVE ENTIRELY on it... he's like the new Jmascis but a whole lot better. dave is definately the reason behind the huge success of nirvana. the metalesque drums of bleach were cool but he brought it all home. foo fighters put out really great and consistant albums.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I guess you could call me a confirmed Foo Fan. Another thing about Grohl is his offbeat sense of humor. That "Learn to Fly" video cracked me up no end, with Grohl in drag as a flight attendant. I get a kick out of anyone who kicks ass, but doesn't take themselves too seriously.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] I get a kick out of anyone who kicks ass, but doesn't take themselves too seriously.[/b][/quote]Right on. I think alot of heavy bands assume they have to be all dark, morbid and serious or they'll look like a bunch of lightweights. My buddy and I have a joke-hypothesis that states, the size of one's Marshall stack (especially in a small club) is directly related to the acute severity of one's 'penis envy'. :D This theory also applies to the amount of 'gloom & doom' in music videos. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

I heard the new single for the first time yesterday (Dallas is always a few months behind the curve (No Pun intended)). Wow. And the thing I've always liked about him and the FF's is he's always evolving, yet stays close to home. That new single sounds nothing like anything he's done, yet it sounds like everything he's done. He is amazing. And I may very well adopt him as my new "man crush". :) Frank

[quote]Originally posted Coren5555 dunno.. nevermind seemed like a pretty good cross slash of the whole band, chris laid down a few smooth basslines in his day. i mean hes not legendary or anything skill wise, but then neither was cobain. but he MADE lounge act and alltogether they mannaged a good cohesive writing style... i dont think the album would have been at all the same with a member missing [/quote]I agree completely! :thu: Nirvana was a great BAND.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Dave FUCKIN Grohl. He's one sick bastard behind the drums and a really gifted musician all around. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's the kinda guy who won't make the cover of Modern Drummer Magazine or anything like that, but he's something special. Not to mention he's also a very sweet guy.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc: [b]I'm sorry but I'm not very impressed. Powerchords...Strumming...Drum Drum...Bow Wow, boom...what am I supposed to be admiring again? :confused: [/b][/quote]Straight ahead, FUN infectious rock. I like some things that require a lot of texture, nuance, complexity, or sophistication. I also like things that are just flat-out fun or heavy. That said, I like the Foo Fighters, but don't love them. I did really love Nirvana, though.

Yeah, Dave's the man! Love his drumming, love Foo Fighters, he DEFINITELY was an integral part of Nirvana. No way would they have sounded the way they did without him. I say good for him that he's enjoying so much success now on so many fronts.

I gotta tell ya, if you heard the new Queens of the Stone Age album all the way through, he SHOULD be on the cover of Modern Drummer Magazine! I never new he could play like [i]that[/i]! I also think this guy is amazing. And hindsight being 20/20, I also think he was more intregral to Nirvana's success than previously perceived. Another thing. The new Queens of the Stone Age album is probably the best rock record Ive heard in 5 years. Seriously. The single is cool, but way more poppy than the rest of the album. I highly recommend dropping the cash for that one. And is it just me or does the singer from Queens look frighteningly similar to Craig Kilborne?

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived